Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 08:25 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,330,791 times

Advertisements

All this just goes to show what a difference a few miles can make. Yesterday around 6:00PM I had to run up to the CVS on Route 209 in Middle Smithfield Twp, about 3 miles from my house. As soon as I hit 209 some city kid in a ricer starts tailgating me the entire 1/8 mile from the traffic light by Mignosi's up to the CVS turn, weaving like he wanted to pass me so he could start tailgating the guy in front of me. I'd hate that if I had to drive up there every day, but luckily I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM

26 posts, read 43,784 times
Low taxes in PA. give me a break!

PA has the highest Gas tax in the country and still has the worst roads; some infrastructure program . In addition some local school districts are going belly up and cant afford payrolls and are raising mills like crazy! PA is not the state to move to for tax breaks!

What are the freedoms? NEPA has a huge outmigration of the educated. Which hinders revitalization efforts, and also the corruption of the small local governments make improvements tough!

The small boroughs and cities in NEPA turning into a refuge for illegal immigrants and criminals from Jersey and Philly area to buy up or rent low cost older row homes and half doubles.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM

161 posts, read 261,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Sussex county in NJ is real nice too, but doesn't offer the low taxes and freedoms in Pa.
Sussex county is very nice, and hasn't changed much in the past 40 years, unlike NEPA. Newton, Blairstown and Hackettstown are 3 of my favorite towns in that area.

Gas is *always* cheaper in NJ. Property taxes in Sussex- not sure, but willing to bet they are lower than NEPA.

Governing magazine this month said the average property tax rate in NJ is 2.31% (as a percentage of the value of the home).

My taxes in Tannersville are 4.3%. And we may get a 200-300% increase in 2018.

Nobody in their right mind wants to buy here anymore... :-/

If I had a choice, I'd rather spend more for house in Sussex county, NJ because it's a more desirable area. And the value would probably increase, as opposed to here. So if the time came, you'd at least be able to sell the house in NJ.

Just saying. As far as natural beauty Sussex has everything NEPA has, for sure.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM

64 posts, read 96,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I still say wayne/pike counties. Stay close to Honesdale for your medical and shopping needs.
My husband said that within the next couple of weeks we need to pin down the exact area so we can start getting into the nitty-gritty details and get our house on the market here. I feel like I'm going to be a Pennsylvania area guru by the time we finally get there!

We've narrowed it down to that area and Lehigh County at this point. You guys are great!

I think one of the hardest parts is the sheer number of schools/districts and their crazy district lines, coupled with the nuances of the towns/townships etc. Still, I much prefer your many options to the one awful and ENORMOUS school district that we have here!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
My husband said that within the next couple of weeks we need to pin down the exact area so we can start getting into the nitty-gritty details and get our house on the market here. I feel like I'm going to be a Pennsylvania area guru by the time we finally get there!

We've narrowed it down to that area and Lehigh County at this point. You guys are great!

I think one of the hardest parts is the sheer number of schools/districts and their crazy district lines, coupled with the nuances of the towns/townships etc. Still, I much prefer your many options to the one awful and ENORMOUS school district that we have here!!!
I'm not sure this has been discussed, but have you considered renting for a year before committing to buying?

My husband and I are looking for a house in Florida. We are looking to find a rental down there for 7 months to 1 year so we can get a feel for the area and take our time while house hunting.

Buying a house long distance does not work. I am a living example of making that mistake. Better to be in the area, and look at lots of homes and take your sweet time deciding without pressure.

And make sure you get a reputable house inspector before you decide to buy, and a termite inspection.

A lot of inspectors in this area are what we used to call "shoemakers" back in Brooklyn- meaning they don't know their behinds from their elbows but they'll take your money anyway.

And don't let anyone tell you PA is not a "termite area". Baloney. Our house was infested with them. We were told there weren't any termites in the area, and our inspector was a corrupt "shoemaker" who got paid off by the owner to give it a glowing report. It was our first house and we didn't know any better.

Learn from my mistake... and good luck.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:48 PM

151 posts, read 146,545 times
Agree totally rent for a bit and see if you even like Nepa or LV or Pa at all for that matter. I heard NJ property taxez werw much much higher than Pa. Interesting if that's not true

Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Agree totally rent for a bit and see if you even like Nepa or LV or Pa at all for that matter. I heard NJ property taxez werw much much higher than Pa. Interesting if that's not true
No, not true when the formula uses a percentage of the assessed value of the home.

Sure, I hear people complaining about paying $8000 a year property taxes in NJ. But their houses are worth $350,000.

I know people in Stroudsburg paying $8000 taxes on houses worth less than half of that.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that people in the Pocono's are really getting screwed. Not all of PA is like this- but pretty much all of NEPA is.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:09 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,884,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post

Of those two areas I going Wayne County, It's beautiful country up there and you've got Lake Wallenpaupack nearby. We visit that lake at least once a summer, it immense size reminds us of the ocean. We considered relocating there but for living in Wilkes Barre we really lucked out with a nice neighborhood high up at the top with a great view of the back mountain. If I was told I had to move though Wayne County would be high on the list.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM

232 posts, read 276,152 times
Really interesting about taxes that was reason why people stormed poconos seems not accurate anymore however i think still you can get more house and land for buck here as in jersey.hackettstown is cool town thats true many times i take 46 and cruise there from stroudsburg remind me area where i grew up hills and farmland with sububurban semi rural vibe.i think newton and hackettstown could preserve and not change much beacue they are little further from 80.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,731,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
I'm not sure this has been discussed, but have you considered renting for a year before committing to buying?

My husband and I are looking for a house in Florida. We are looking to find a rental down there for 7 months to 1 year so we can get a feel for the area and take our time while house hunting.

Buying a house long distance does not work. I am a living example of making that mistake. Better to be in the area, and look at lots of homes and take your sweet time deciding without pressure.

And make sure you get a reputable house inspector before you decide to buy, and a termite inspection.

A lot of inspectors in this area are what we used to call "shoemakers" back in Brooklyn- meaning they don't know their behinds from their elbows but they'll take your money anyway.

And don't let anyone tell you PA is not a "termite area". Baloney. Our house was infested with them. We were told there weren't any termites in the area, and our inspector was a corrupt "shoemaker" who got paid off by the owner to give it a glowing report. It was our first house and we didn't know any better.

Learn from my mistake... and good luck.
Um, you're supposed to hire your own inspector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania