Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:17 PM

64 posts, read 97,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It clears it up some; but you still did not mention employment. If employment is not an issue and you can live anyplace; then check out everyplace. Many of us suggest that people rent before they buy. That is so you really get a good feel for the area and you're close by to check out all the things that are very important to your potential new home.

You can visit our CD forum about our school districts. I also love to push people into looking at/using Google 'Earth' (https://www.google.com/earth/). Earth is a great way to look over potential new homes and neighborhoods.

If you have friends/relation in upstate NY or CT; do you ever want to visit? Possibly some of our towns closer to our State line might make rides easier?

My County (Monroe) has generally higher taxes, some areas have higher crime, but we are known for recreation and when you are playing you are expected to pay more!
Employment is not something we're concerned with at this point for a multitude of reasons, but I appreciate your query! That's one of the reasons we are able to be so open with our options. I will certainly check out the school district forums and agree that google earth has been such a blessing! When we were looking at other areas we were able to see little details that we would have had no clue about without that bird's eye view! Yes, we will be visiting family from time to time (and vice-versa) but do not mind traveling a few hours if need be. We're hoping/planning on creating the family HQ!

Thank you again so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are looking for semi rural are look at Harding. Wyoming Area while not the best school in the area is a decent school. You have to be careful with those ranking because they may not be reflective of how good the school is. Dallas and Abington Heights usually score well in these ranking but they are predominately lower to upper middle class where the parents are more likely to take an interest in their child's education. The demographics of Wyoming Area are probably going to be about average.

You are about 10 to 30 minutes from everywhere.

West Pittston/Pittson >> 10 minutes - Some shopping and Grocery Store
Wilkes-Barre >> 25 minutes >> Major shopping centers, arena etc.
Dallas>> 15 minutes - Some shopping and Grocery Store

No crime, friendly neighbors, no busy body's and the taxes are not outrageous... just semi-rageous <i just invented a new word>. You can get a really nice house on about 5 acres in the $250K range. Be prepared for the occasional gun fire especially around hunting season but I don't think you will get away from that in any semi-rural area around here if that is a concern at all.

Dallas/Shavertown often referred to as the Back mountain is another place to look however the housing costs and taxes go up and they are just a short distance from Harding. They do have better school ranking.

If you want to live in a town look at West Pittston, very quiet and magnificent homes along the river. Be aware this area got hit by a flood in 2013 but that is unlikely to happen in your lifetime unless you are in the few areas that get hit all the time.
Semi-rageous! HA! I love it! So much great information!!! Thank you thank you thank you! You have been VERY helpful and I am taking tons of notes!

Old 06-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
On that note: I have lived here for 70 years and have very few complaints. We will never keep everybody happy all the time. People can find problems no matter where they live. Sometimes it takes only one bad neighbor. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Absolutely true! This is why I am spending the next year doing as much research as I can before we make the big move... and pestering you good people for all of your good/bad/indifferent experiences!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 06:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
Absolutely true! This is why I am spending the next year doing as much research as I can before we make the big move... and pestering you good people for all of your good/bad/indifferent experiences!!!
Have you thought about renting first before you buy? I know that it is a pain; but buying is a major investment and 'traps' people that might not really know what they are getting into.

My County is known for one of the longest commutes in the Nation. So many commute to the major metropolitan areas every day and spend 4 to 6 or longer hours on the road. It makes for no home life and very unhappy property owners. On the other hand I always found local work that supported myself and family - but good paying jobs are scarce in a resort community.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Have you thought about renting first before you buy? I know that it is a pain; but buying is a major investment and 'traps' people that might not really know what they are getting into.

My County is known for one of the longest commutes in the Nation. So many commute to the major metropolitan areas every day and spend 4 to 6 or longer hours on the road. It makes for no home life and very unhappy property owners. On the other hand I always found local work that supported myself and family - but good paying jobs are scarce in a resort community.
I would think it would be pretty difficult to rent in the areas they are looking at other than those developments that have a lot of properties in the Poconos. You are going to have very limited choices. We had a house fire in 2010 and finding a rental that was adequate was a problem. We got lucky with one house because of financial difficulties the person was having with the home. Her husband had died unexpectedly and she couldn't afford it anymore, she was actually living in it before we moved in. It's a sad story on both ends but the lease gave her some breathing room.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would think it would be pretty difficult to rent in the areas they are looking at other than those developments that have a lot of properties in the Poconos. You are going to have very limited choices. We had a house fire in 2010 and finding a rental that was adequate was a problem. We got lucky with one house because of financial difficulties the person was having with the home. Her husband had died unexpectedly and she couldn't afford it anymore, she was actually living in it before we moved in. It's a sad story on both ends but the lease gave her some breathing room.
It might be difficult; but they are looking everywhere. It's hard to say what might be available. Like you got lucky; they could get lucky.

There are so many that have come on this forum looking for direction. There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all when it comes to making a major life change like moving. On person's heaven is another person's hell. Maybe I never got over Warren Zee and Sheena?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Maybe I never got over Warren Zee and Sheena?
The humorous part about that was their complaints about how they were treated by the police in West Pittston when they went to look at a house there. Crime in West Pittston is almost non existent....

Old 06-05-2017, 12:00 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDee333 View Post
Likewise, Scranton seems to have a lot in regard to properties available for purchase/renting out, though we are unfamiliar with the actual need for for them by residents.
Scranton is home to a few colleges, so you might want to look for prospective rental units that are close by. U. of Scranton (Jesuit) and Marywood University (IHM Sisters) in particular cater to middle class kids, if that helps.

We've lived in semi-rural Shawnee in Monroe County since 1993 and we've raised our two fine sons here. The boys are both college students, one commuting the 5 miles to East Stroudsburg University and the other away at Marywood in Scranton. Our kids attended the local Catholic school from pre-K thru 12, although we believe the local East Stroudsburg South public schools are just fine. Note that I specified "East Stroudsburg South" schools are just fine.

Shawnee is a fairly peaceful Volvo-and-Subaru community despite being home to an inn, a golf course, timeshare condo's, a historic playhouse, and a ski mountain (or bunny hill, to a person from the Western U.S.). Nearby Stroudsburg offers small town charm such as a live theatre, farmer's market, a record shop, an independent book store, a condom lifestyle shop, an Escape Room, various restaurants, etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM

151 posts, read 147,457 times
Dee,

The best performing school district in Lackawanna County is Abington Heights. Also very strong sports programs in both boys and girls sports. Abington is comprised of North and South Abington Townships, Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Newton Ranson and Waverly Township. I believe I captured them all.

So if safety, schools and proximity to lots of box store shopping then Abington area makes sense. Crime is virtually non existent you jear of some drugs and DUIs on the main drag but thats about it.

In full disclosure, it lacks diversity not sure if that's a problem. I would venture to guess Abington is 95% or more white with some asian, Indian mixed in. Just throwing that out there. Also have a budget in mind ?because it is considered a higher priced area but there are deals to be had.

As another poster states you are 10 mins from downtown Scranton and the same to all Dickson City shopping. Also very easy access to 81 and the Pa turnpike.

Only other area with children I would even consider is Moscow. It is pretty rural there though while Clarks Summit has a bigger town not big by any means but ok. Clarks Summit has chains, Dunkin, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme the usuals a DQ being built. It's becoming pretty developed actually.

Don't mean to offend some here but id avoid Scranton. Higher crime, poor schools, high taxes for little return and I believe it's down and out. The mall is an eye sore with almost no occupancy.

If you aren't hell bent on NEPA, I would consider the Lehigh Valley. It's on the rise much closer to opportunities in Philly and Philly burbs. Also closer to NYC. Tons of colleges there as well. I would imagine a bit more expensive but also has good schools in the burbs. I've made it from there to Philly in 45 mins so that's nice.

Please feel free to ask away I won't sugar coat anything.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We have a place in Wayne county and love it. I am moving there full-time next year, but it is a good school district, 90 miles to NYC but yet afar enough away to be lost. We are in a community ; it suits us for now as we are not there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania