U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,745,170 times

Advertisements

Can't imagine this actually happening. Tunkhannock was one of the nicest places to live in NEPA, where people said hello to perfect strangers on the streets.

State Police Describe Night Of Terror Inside Weis Market During Killing Spree | WNEP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 AM

17,504 posts, read 16,878,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Can't imagine this actually happening. Tunkhannock was one of the nicest places to live in NEPA, where people said hello to perfect strangers on the streets.

State Police Describe Night Of Terror Inside Weis Market During Killing Spree | WNEP.com
It used to be nice. I haven't been there in many years. I imagine the unemployed find interesting ways to make or acquire cash...like theft, robbery, and cooking meth.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM

3,091 posts, read 2,492,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It used to be nice. I haven't been there in many years. I imagine the unemployed find interesting ways to make or acquire cash...like theft, robbery, and cooking meth.

Kind of a non-sequitur, but OK. The young man/woman here was employed but had mental health issues. Could've happened anywhere.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,745,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Kind of a non-sequitur, but OK. The young man/woman here was employed but had mental health issues. Could've happened anywhere.

He lived in Dallas, not Tunkhannock. He was an avid fan of some idiotic cartoon program on Nickelodeon and identified himself as a transgender (genderqueer} female. This news event made headlines in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,346,293 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He lived in Dallas, not Tunkhannock. He was an avid fan of some idiotic cartoon program on Nickelodeon and identified himself as a transgender (genderqueer} female. This news event made headlines in the San Francisco Chronicle.
It is silly to condemn Tunkhannock and for that matter NEPA over this incident. Pick something else as your favorite cause(s). How about the current digital culture and social media?

Gunman

The list of 'maybe' contributing factors is long...Tunhannock/NEPA are probably not near the top.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM

17,504 posts, read 16,878,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
It is silly to condemn Tunkhannock and for that matter NEPA over this incident. Pick something else as your favorite cause(s). How about the current digital culture and social media?

Gunman

The list of 'maybe' contributing factors is long...Tunhannock/NEPA are probably not near the top.
I don't hate the area. I grew up there. I don't see anything positive happening.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 AM

32,803 posts, read 32,481,664 times
Quote:
I don't hate the area. I grew up there. I don't see anything positive happening.
If you exclude WB low crime is one of the positives for this area. The national murder rate is around 5, Luzerne county excluding WB might be 1 or 2, WB bounces around but might be 10 to 15(high of about 35 in 2013), Philly is something like 30.... Detroit might be 45.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, this has made national news. The ABC Nightly News with David Muir covered it but omitted the anguish that the guy's "genderqueer" status apparently had on his mental state. It's unclear why they would omit that detail, but I've found that mental health issues are often swept under the rug.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

2,349 posts, read 2,346,293 times
Quote:
Yes, this has made national news. The ABC Nightly News with David Muir covered it but omitted the anguish that the guy's "genderqueer" status apparently had on his mental state. It's unclear why they would omit that detail, but I've found that mental health issues are often swept under the rug.
Hmmm, that's a surprise. I didn't see the news. What aspects (pray tell) did they 'emphasize'?

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Hmmm, that's a surprise. I didn't see the news. What aspects (pray tell) did they 'emphasize'?
The ABC Nightly News focused mostly on the video he posted of himself at the shooting range, and of course selfies posing with guns.

And to work in the mental health angle they mentioned the Nickelodeon cartoon he was obsessed with (which is not anime as my millennial sons pointed out when WNEP reported it as such).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania