Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,056,244 times

Advertisements

ScrantonND I pulled this from one of you other posts and it shows right where your coming from.

Quote:
Remember when we had intelligent, capable, and professional council members. Pocius, Hazzouri, Doherty, Reap, etc. Sadly those days are long gone. No intelligent person would put themselves through that hell. So sadly we are stuck with people like Janet Evans, Judy Gatelli, and Sherry fanucci running our city.
That is the same council that set up the demise of Connors and set Doherty up for mayor. That council had their asses handed to them on the way out the door by voters didn't they? Hows that recovery plan?

Didn't Hazzouri and Pocius recieve city pensions for being council members? Didn't Doherty allow that to happen?

Sip the kool-aid buddy don't gulp it.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM

28 posts, read 78,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

We are distressed and we are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt but god forbid I say anything about it right? ScrantonND your a hypocrite, you left the area you love? Why did you leave? If the area is soo great and there is something for everyone of all income levels then why did you leave? Where are you raising your family at?

I'm raising mine here and fighting so that my son doesn't have to pay for the Doherty debt.

IMHO the op was from rumncoke.

Up until a few months ago I spent my entire life in the city. fter i graduated I lived and worked in the city for a little while, but right now I am away to further my degree and get some work experiance. I miss the city and my friends a lot, and cant wait until I move back. I think the biggest problem with the complainers is that they never experianced living outside of the region and dont realize how nice of a place it really is. Read my first post again, I believe the positives I mentioned far outweigh any of the negative or made-up problems the city has.

The point i am trying to make is why say anything negative to someone who wants to move into the city? Have some pride in where you come from.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,933,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Not trying to fan flames, but.... The different camps here look like this to me. Those who wear rose colored glasses , and those that dont. I have lived here for 50 years, I think overall Scranton and the surrounding area is a great place to live ,low cost of living, neighborhoods that for the most part still ARE neighborhoods, but my eyes tell me that this Administration and some who have bought into the hype, cant see and dont want people to know that we are at a crisis point..wage tax, merchantile tax, urban flight etc. are taking its toll
I dont believe that there is a great demand fot downtown condos, or real estate in general... look at the vacant townhouses on Green Ridge St. They were hyped for months in the paper, but if you look at them when you drive by, the sheetrock isnt even hung in them... no buyers..
I hope the city does undergo a positive upswing, but rather than these these pie in the sky projects, smaller FEASABLE steps need to be taken. You have to crawl before you can walk.
My thoughts exactly. If I didn't like Scranton, I would never have moved here and I wouln't be taking the time to complain. If I didn't like Scranton, my home would be on the market and I would be looking to get out. That is not the case. I love this city, I'm very happy in my neighborhood and with my kids school, so I have no intention on leaving. BUT something has to be done about King Doherty and the corrupt political cronies in this city who are spending money like drunken sailors with not much to show for it. Doherty is trying like hell to cut public safety, which will only lure in more of the bad element that is starting to move into Scranton. Notice that Wilkes-Barre has been beefing up its police department and provides them with the latest vehicles and equipment and has been ADDING more police officers.....what may happen as Wilkes-Barre cracks down on crime is that a lot of the criminal element in W-B may begin to notice that public safety in Scranton is a joke and may start to move up to Scranton. With our drug problems in NE PA and proximity to NY, NJ, Philly, etc, we need to keep public safety as a top priority to avoid becoming another Allentown, Harrisburg, Reading, Williamsport, etc.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
ScrantonND I pulled this from one of you other posts and it shows right where your coming from.

That is the same council that set up the demise of Connors and set Doherty up for mayor. That council had their asses handed to them on the way out the door by voters didn't they? Hows that recovery plan?

Didn't Hazzouri and Pocius recieve city pensions for being council members? Didn't Doherty allow that to happen?

Sip the kool-aid buddy don't gulp it.

HAHAHA Sip what kool-Aid. The post was a reference to the intelligence level of people running our city. No matter what you say All of those council members were their own people. Doherty just managed to weasel his way into the mayors office. Now we have 2 idiots who do whatever the mayor says (JG and SF), and a manipulative hypocrite in JE.

And I will ask again, how do i sip the kool-aid?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonND View Post
I think the biggest problem with the complainers is that they never experianced living outside of the region and dont realize how nice of a place it really is.
The point i am trying to make is why say anything negative to someone who wants to move into the city? Have some pride in where you come from.
First I honestly don't believe the first post at all. I have seen these come and go. I.E. RUMNCOKE. Second as far as your comment about living outside the area, I can pretty much quarantee you that I have lived outside the area and outside the country for that matter. I see the area for what it is and see what the current admin is doing to it. I have pride in my city and my area, thats why I speak out against those that have ruined it for future generations thru reckless spending and useless projects.

Riddle me this. The Southern Union is a top of the line office building with all the bells and whistles and it has TAX FREE status, why can't we put someone in there? Do you think that it might be our business tax structure that is pushing business out and keeping us from getting any real companies here? Who do you think is responsible for changing that? Why haven't they? Do they actually care about anything but their own pet projects?

Give me a break. If the people that want to move here have a problem with me shedding some light on the negatives of the city gov't then maybe they need to move to the cloud city with Lando Calrissian, SWB and yourself.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
HAHAHA Sip what kool-Aid. The post was a reference to the intelligence level of people running our city. No matter what you say All of those council members were their own people. Doherty just managed to weasel his way into the mayors office. Now we have 2 idiots who do whatever the mayor says (JG and SF), and a manipulative hypocrite in JE.

And I will ask again, how do i sip the kool-aid?
Intelligence level? Their own people? You have got to be kidding me. They were Doherty's boys before he became mayor and they helped him get there. I wonder why two of them were allowed to recieve city pensions for being council memebers? Doherty didn't weasel his way anywhere, he bought it. In his last election he ran for a $55,000 a year job with over a million dollars in his campaign war chest. Thats 3 idiots you forgot the mayors lap dog McGoff and don't tell me he is not. He has abmitted that he is CLOSE friends with the mayor and he has voted right alongside those other two idiots everytime.

Sip (sip) vi., vt. sipped, sipping[ME. sippen] to drink a little at a time ---n.
1. the act of sipping 2. a small quantity sipped ----sip'per n.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,611,650 times
Quote:
Remember when we had intelligent, capable, and professional council members. Pocius, Hazzouri, Doherty, Reap, etc. Sadly those days are long gone. No intelligent person would put themselves through that hell. So sadly we are stuck with people like Janet Evans, Judy Gatelli, and Sherry fanucci running our city.

Pocius was self serving {pension} Hazzouri was nothing more than a follower...show me anything he ever spearheaded. Doherty, well "beware the man with ambitions" , "et tu Brute" Brian Reap was a glimmer of hope, but the powers that were at the time were afraid of him and did him in. {although I will give you he gave them the ammo to do it}

Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Intelligence level? Their own people? You have got to be kidding me. They were Doherty's boys before he became mayor and they helped him get there. I wonder why two of them were allowed to recieve city pensions for being council memebers? Doherty didn't weasel his way anywhere, he bought it. In his last election he ran for a $55,000 a year job with over a million dollars in his campaign war chest. Thats 3 idiots you forgot the mayors lap dog McGoff and don't tell me he is not. He has abmitted that he is CLOSE friends with the mayor and he has voted right alongside those other two idiots everytime.

Sip (sip) vi., vt. sipped, sipping[ME. sippen] to drink a little at a time ---n.
1. the act of sipping 2. a small quantity sipped ----sip'per n.

Well i think its time for me to retire from this board. It gets me too aggravated. Taking previous posts out of context and totally misunderstanding my point.

Weluvpa, you are everything that is wrong with this city. And from your posts and slang you show that you are a follower of the most hypocritical and dispicable man ever to call scranton home.

mrKrabs and johnq - I understand where you guys are coming from, and really cant blame you. But my point still is the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I think we can agree on that.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,298,777 times
Quote:
Well i think its time for me to retire from this board. It gets me too aggravated. Taking previous posts out of context and totally misunderstanding my point.

Weluvpa, you are everything that is wrong with this city. And from your posts and slang you show that you are a follower of the most hypocritical and dispicable man ever to call scranton home.
He certainly has a habit of misrepresenting facts, manipulating posts, exaggerating, or outright lying to support a point. He's proven that several times in the past. I take most of his posts with a big ol' grain of salt. I think a growing majority of the citizens are beginning to realize what a farcical one trick pony he's becoming.

Last edited by CHS89; 03-11-2008 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,929,164 times
Quote:
Why does everyone feel that if you don't like the present form of government in Scranton, you don't like Scranton. If I didn't like this city and love this area then I probably wouldn't say anything. I see things for what they are and some tend to see things for what they want. SWB continuiously looks to unrealistic and over priced projects as a way to get the city moving forward. I see them as a financial anchor around our necks.

This city is so bured in debt right now and we have nothing to show for it. There are no jobs, no companies, no money.

I love the fact that the two biggest cheerleaders here don't even live in the city. Actually I think that the only ones that do are Mr. Krabs, CHS89, loveinbloom and myself.

We are distressed and we are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt but god forbid I say anything about it right? ScrantonND your a hypocrite, you left the area you love? Why did you leave? If the area is soo great and there is something for everyone of all income levels then why did you leave? Where are you raising your family at?

I'm raising mine here and fighting so that my son doesn't have to pay for the Doherty debt.

IMHO the op was from rumncoke.
While I haven't lived here long enough to "pay my dues" in/to the city so to speak...and I have tried not to stick my nose into political disussions, I would like to give a newcomers perspective.

I have read the times on-line for aabout 4-5 yrs., and even not living here I have seen clearly how biased and pro-Mayor their reports/editorals etc.appear to be. Ihave heard my extended families complaints, suggestions, praises, desires, frustrations etc for years. It was offically 21 years in fact on Christmas eve of '07.

I can desribe my husband's family this way...they have all been around the block a few times and many many have succeded in life right here in Scranton. I applaud their successes more heartedly than those from where I hail from BECAUSE it is so difficult (economically) and this town is/appears to be tightly held by a few select circles.

I applaud SWB's positive outlook for the future but I agree with the many concerns, issues and honest opinions that may not be viewed as "supportive".

Since I have placed my beautiful youngest son in an elm. school here in N. Scranton, we are staying right here in N. Scranton for AT LEAST the next four years! Any and all plans to purchase a home will be done with that fact in mind.

Just my $1.50 ( raised from 2cents with infalition factored in)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania