U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:10 PM

26,555 posts, read 47,250,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
That's why these businesses go to places like Dickson City and Moosic, both right on the border of Scranton, but not in the city.
No. They don't. They establish themselves along heavy retail corridors so that they can feed off of one another's successes. It's called "retail clustering." The Shoppes @ Montage liked the location in Moosic because it was highly visible to the 80,000 or so vehicles per day that pass by on I-81, giving them premium exposure. Any time I've been to the Shoppes, NY/NJ plates abound on vehicles, indicating that the location near I-81 helped "lure" them in. Dickson City is likewise at the crossroads of I-81 and Routes 6/11, giving it prime exposure to the Scranton, Abington, and Mid-Valley markets.

It will take a change in social attitudes for something of this scale to be profitable in Downtown Scranton. People would much rather drive store to store than walk store to store (as we see with the Arena Hub Plaza near Wilkes-Barre, where the lazy lard-arses will drive from parking spot to parking spot to access adjacent stores just for the hell of it instead of walking a few feet). People in our region have their automobiles tied to their hips, and as long as autocentricity reigns supreme here, downtowns are going to continue to struggle.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:10 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,091,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonND View Post
Yea, and the DD crowd jumped on him for some unkonwn reason.

Yeah, and that wasn't a publicity stunt. Just happens to get to the Scranton Times really quick. The Times has been his house organ from day one.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM

28 posts, read 51,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Yeah, and that wasn't a publicity stunt. Just happens to get to the Scranton Times really quick. The Times has been his house organ from day one.
Come on now, do you think the guy thought "well lets see i could jump into the river to save a dog, then i could become a hero in the eyes of all scrantonians"? No, I believe he saw something that he could help and he just did it, a good gesture.

Now what happened afterward with the TV and Newspaper, thats up for you to decide if he milked it. Personally I agree that it was a little cheesy for it to be in the media, but i guess the guy will take any good press he can get.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,254,951 times
Makes no difference to me. Just as I don't give a damn if a fire chief can complete a marathon or spar with Larry Holmes, saving a dog is not really a necessary qualification for mayor, in my opinion. I probably forgot/didn't know about it because it's pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Agreed, MrKrabs, but why should he (and the rest of the administration) be made to take the blame for things they have very little to no control at all over, such as drunken underage kids at a parade, mall businesses closing due to economic factors effecting the entire country, firemen killed in the line of duty, and children killed in fires, for example? They are just weak and pathetic connections to make.

"The mayor said he — not Chief Davis — has the ultimate say about what fire equipment the city buys or doesn’t buy." (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19289795&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id =590572&rfi=8 - broken link)

The dept is using breathing apparatus that are outdated, they are using radios purchased in the 70's and they have a few trucks I understand that are down. They did in fact just get permission to buy a new Rescue 1 (which is down) but only after he was embarassed into it.

The mayor himself says that he is solely responsible for the safety equipment or the lack there of that the dept uses or doesn't have. Don't you think if they had the proper safety equipment, that they have been asking to get for 6 years, like Tac Sticks or proximity alarms that the needless death might not have happened?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,369,868 times
I don't exactly understand why every thread that remotely involves the topic of Scranton has to turn into the same old rants we've heard thousands of times. It is easy enough to ignore these threads, but when the moderator went to the trouble of accommodating those who like to hear their opinions stated over and over with the off topic politics thread, why not just go ahead and use it? And leave the other threads on topic?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
The only way they can generate a profit here is if government sources kick in a bit to help finance their projects, a practice which receives major backlash from city residents like weluvpa, who feel investing in the downtown is a waste of tax dollars.
I'm not sure ask Paul.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,254,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Don't you think if they had the proper safety equipment, that they have been asking to get for 6 years, like Tac Sticks or proximity alarms that the needless death might not have happened?
The only way for a fireman to stay 100% safe when the call comes in is to not answer the bell. There is no piece of equipment that will completely protect a fireman. It's a dangerous profession, which is why only a few highly trained and extremely brave individuals wear the uniform. What happened was an accident. A horrible, unfortunate accident. Rational people are not seeing any blood on anyone's hand as a result of it.

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 03-11-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Insults

Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM

Proximity alarms on that bucket truck would have prevented it. A Tac stick (broken link)would of helped to prevent it. These are important pieces of equipment that most large depts have. They have been asking for new safety equipment for 6 years and they got nothing. You can say what you want but these guys go out every time that bell rings under equiped and under staffed yet they go no matter what. Its the mayors fault by his own admission that they do not have the gear they need. No lies here bud he said it. HE is solely responsible for the lack of safety equipment, that lack in gear directly puts their lives in a greater risk then it should be and on top of it they haven't even recieved a raise in 6 years either.

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 03-11-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,513,471 times
This thread is being closed at this time.This might be a better debate on the sticky thread
but the TOS still apply.

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 03-11-2008 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania