Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 09:40 AM

91 posts, read 189,261 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fb...siWbU_n9oJ4AK9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:16 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
That is an interesting video; but it is not up to date. Some corporation bought the old resort, erected fencing and then has done nothing. I presume they also went out of business. I seriously doubt that the place will ever see it's former glory. The best thing that could happen to it is if it was totally demolished and the land was again reclaimed.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:21 AM

91 posts, read 189,261 times
and for those winter months, there's this Pa. winter ski lodge- nice....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQg2...siWbU_n9oJ4AK9

Old 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
This so sad to watch

On this day 43 years ago, my husband and I were there for our honeymoon. It was a fabulous place then and we met some wonderful people from all over!! The food was great, the entertainment was top notch and the facilities were 2nd to none!! Such a shame really

Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
This so sad to watch

On this day 43 years ago, my husband and I were there for our honeymoon. It was a fabulous place then and we met some wonderful people from all over!! The food was great, the entertainment was top notch and the facilities were 2nd to none!! Such a shame really
What I cannot get over are the animals that destroy these structures. I know that people need money and copper had premium prices for some time. But that is such a short sighted vision. The resort, in it's hay day, provided jobs for many - both in the resort and supplying the needs of the resort. It put food on the table and paid the bills.

I have one resort by me that is looking pretty run down. But they still have security and it is more of a nature' problem than vandals. It looks like there might be new life to the old Brookdale on the Lake resort in the form of a drug rehab business with wealthy developers pushing this through. I am torn on the issue because I do not want another Penn Hills close to my house. I am also reluctant to give the stamp of approval the drug rehab - but that could be better than the alternative.

I think what is really terrible is these resorts represent a time in our history when America could do anything. The stonework at Buck Hill Inn could never be duplicated today. The Penn Hills land is probably classified as 'flood plain' and impossible to insure today - of course that is speculation. Cost and regulations have closed our doors to innovation and improvement.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I am guessing this place was already on the down and out years before closing down? Such a sad site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania