Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 PM

232 posts, read 276,642 times

Advertisements

My father get new property tax and look like is higher over 450 $ we in stroud twp got it small yard.monroe county push limits again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,133,741 times
The PA state legislature is under the thumb of the public employee unions. The locals do not get to vote on school or municipal budgets or on bond issues to finance new construction. Local school boards have unlimited powers of taxation. Teachers' unions almost always get their salary demands approved by local school boards because Act 88 of 1992 makes it impossible to counter a teachers strike.

Then there are the influx of migrants from the NYC metropolitan area, which swells the school population and the demand for new schools and all other services. Any attempt to impose an infrastructure impact tax on new construction is thwarted in the PA legislature by the builders and construction unions.

The PA state legislature just upped the PA budget by $500 million almost all of which will go towards "education." There is no end to tax increases.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
My father get new property tax and look like is higher over 450 $ we in stroud twp got it small yard.monroe county push limits again.
Look at his assessment from last year and look at it from this year. Then tell us if that assessment went up. About two or three weeks ago we had an agent of the assessor office looking over our property. I think it is too fast for the reassessment to take affect; but I do not know?

Also look at your father's last year millage rate and tell us if it has gone up? We just paid our taxes this year and it was less than it was last year here in Pocono Township. Not a lot less; but less - I'll have to pull out our records to see how much less.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM

232 posts, read 276,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Look at his assessment from last year and look at it from this year. Then tell us if that assessment went up. About two or three weeks ago we had an agent of the assessor office looking over our property. I think it is too fast for the reassessment to take affect; but I do not know?

Also look at your father's last year millage rate and tell us if it has gone up? We just paid our taxes this year and it was less than it was last year here in Pocono Township. Not a lot less; but less - I'll have to pull out our records to see how much less.
Ok if get chance talk since we work different times. Maybe beacue we in stoudsburg school district?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
Ok if get chance talk since we work different times. Maybe beacue we in stoudsburg school district?
I just looked ours up; the discount tax was $60 less this year than last year in Pocono. I know that our assessment was the same; so it must have been a small reduction in the millage. Maybe Stroud Township increased their millage? I use to own in Stroud Township; but sold back in 1975.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 PM

54 posts, read 60,918 times
Default Taxes

Been a lifelong resident of Pa. Philly and wanted to retire upstate. But the tax problem will be sending me south. Have a year to go but don't hold out much hope for the brilliant people in Harrisburg. Surprise me Wolf.

Art

Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehaz1 View Post
Been a lifelong resident of Pa. Philly and wanted to retire upstate. But the tax problem will be sending me south. Have a year to go but don't hold out much hope for the brilliant people in Harrisburg. Surprise me Wolf.

Art
Art,

PA does not have uniform property taxes. If you currently live in Philly you are paying some of the highest taxes in the State along with Monroe County. But there are plenty of counties in our State that have average property taxes that are half of what we both pay: Pennsylvania Property Taxes By County - 2017. If you are choosing a place to retire in PA only on the amount of property tax; we do have some counties in the northeast that have lower averages. Somerset Co. in the southwest pays only about a third or fourth of what the Philly area pays. But, in the northeast, Wayne, Lackawanna and Luzern pay considerably less than Monroe. Many of the northcentral counties also have low averages.

I personally think that making plans for retirement should include other factors besides just property taxes. You can do the Googling like I can. I found this link quickly: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ces-to-retire/. But most of the places recommended on that link are hot and if you do not like it hot; they might not be a great choice. Those places might be thousands of miles away from any surviving family members that you like to keep in touch with? We all have different motivations to make the decisions we make.

As far as waiting for Wolf or any other politician; don't hold your breath! PA only talks property tax reform just before any election and that is simply to get votes for the incumbents. If we were truly smart we would never vote for another incumbent again!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 34,525 times
Looking on zillow and realtor, the taxes in the north and eastern parts of PA are making me reconsider the state.

Its optimal because of location and closeness to family and friends in NY, NJ and Connecticut and because of some of the benefits with pensions and IRAs not being taxed... but property taxes seem to be all over the place.

In other threads here people from NEPA are saying their taxes are higher than NJs.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
That's Monroe County.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
How are the taxes in Pike County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania