Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:26 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
you are putting thoughts in my post that exsist only in your mind not in mine i see no comparison in my post ---the post expresses sadness for this country under this administration that has become a circus imho

off topic too!
Right now the economy is strong and our area has shown signs of growth. While I know that many of the new jobs created will not pay like NY and NJ; there are still jobs and more than we had before. Right next to me I see an old resort that was crumbling and now is becoming a large rehab for those suffering from chemical addition. I know that many will look at this as the glass half empty - 'if we did not have a drug problem we would not have this new drug treatment facility'. But I look at it that it is not another Penn Hills. They are rehabilitating the old resort - which was long overdue.

It is not a perfect world and we are not perfect. When we look at the destruction from Hurricane Sandy or the destruction in the Southern States and Puerto Rico this past Hurricane season; we are lucky. When we look at the fires out West; we are lucky.

Cheer up; nothing is forever - even Presidents. Of course the ultimate critics will be the voters and how they feel they have been impacted by the policies of his administration. If we are better off than we were before; chances are that you will see him for more than one term.

PS Has anybody heard anymore about the Lehigh Hospital deal with the old Summit resort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 10:32 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I've often wondered why we don't get the fires like the NW US. We've certainly got the trees.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I've often wondered why we don't get the fires like the NW US. We've certainly got the trees.
Except for Fisheye's area, enough rain. When everything is moist, it doesn't burn.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 AM

but isn't there a lot of rain in Washington state and Oregon?

getting off topic here I guess.

But I like the trees. I like even more when they don't burn.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 AM

East of the Cascades, which aren't very far from Seattle, Washington is quite arid.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
It is simply a matter of time and the 'right' conditions. I do remember major forest fires that took days to bring under control. Some of them burned through areas that are now covered in developments. Many use to blame the trains or berry pickers back in the 1950's and 60's. Of course we used to have manned fire towers like the one on top of Cammelback (I don't even know if it is still there). I think we have become lax; since we have not had major fires. But if we combine a dry Spring or Fall (before everything turns green or after everything turns brown), a strong wind; then I think we could experience major fires again. While we no longer have trains and berry pickers, like the old days; we do have many people that have no experience burning and that could be our Achilles' heel. Some people feel that they have to get out and burn on the hottest, driest, days.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is simply a matter of time and the 'right' conditions. I do remember major forest fires that took days to bring under control. Some of them burned through areas that are now covered in developments. Many use to blame the trains or berry pickers back in the 1950's and 60's. Of course we used to have manned fire towers like the one on top of Cammelback (I don't even know if it is still there). I think we have become lax; since we have not had major fires. But if we combine a dry Spring or Fall (before everything turns green or after everything turns brown), a strong wind; then I think we could experience major fires again. While we no longer have trains and berry pickers, like the old days; we do have many people that have no experience burning and that could be our Achilles' heel. Some people feel that they have to get out and burn on the hottest, driest, days.
Yes, most forest fires are caused by people. I read that one in Oregon was started by teens setting off fireworks. They lit them and threw them into a ravine. Some smokers still flick their lit cigarettes. Illegal campers start one once in a while. Then there are the arsonists. I read about one huge fire that was started by a volunteer forest firefighter. I guess he was tired of waiting.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM

I don't remember any fires but I do remember those fire towers.

Seems in this age of electronics, they wouldn't even have to be manned-just some kind of scanning contraption.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:53 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,631 times
OK, I remember going back to Wilkes Barre to visit, maybe early 1960s..the exit from the turnpike on to Rt 115 was quite a ways from the newer exit.

I remember a fire ravaged area for good portion of the ride on 115.. it smelled not unpleasant, but there were acres and acres burnt.

New undergrowth/ groundcover was quick to come back in a few short years, and heal the scars.
secondary tree healthy growth was back in years.

Sometimes a fire is a cleansing rebirth. other times not...

If lives or property are lost.

My Dad, he had an 'old school' saying...'Sometimes you have to crack a few eggs to make an Omelette.'

Old 11-20-2017, 06:12 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I can't wait to move full time to this area. Its close to NY, but yet rural. Its close to airports for me, but yet rural.
People are used to transplants and that is a big part of the attraction for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania