U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM

2,562 posts, read 1,403,493 times
True in part what I am saying is Nyers are moving here to get away from taxes. So sorry if you, and what I feel are a very small minority have a problem with it. In case you never noticed the Commonwealth of PA is PART OF the United States of America and FREEDOM OF CHOICE AND MOVEMENT IS PART OF WHAT MAKES THIS NATION GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should organize a movement to start requesting passports at the highways that lead into PA.

To compare citizens from other states locating here is a shame IMHO. What was done to the native people of this land is a NATIONAL SIN! BTw do not know if you own a t-shirt that has the Lakota tribesmen holding rifles stating "Defending Freedom since 1492". So that is my personal feeling on that topic.

Good luck in whatever your desires are for this city. I also think your comments related to the above could be a rallying banner for Paul's socially progressive stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:22 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,472,213 times
It was a national sin. The people moved west to get away from the sprawl at the time to explore new lands and pioneer the western U.S.. They did it without a care of how their actions would affect the indigenous people of the areas that they were settling.

Guess what it was the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA then and we had the freedom to move about didn't we? And move we did. We moved the indigenous people right out of their lands and their homes so that the pioneers would have a free and open place to live.

Whats the difference now?

Instead of horses and guns, they are using SUV's and taxes and money to push people out their homes or at least their home areas.

The transplants are poneering new communties and new developements all over NEPA and the poconos and they are doing it without regard for the people of that region and they are doing in the name of lower taxes and lower cost of living. Essentialy they are doing for their own good.

Its scary how much those scenarios sound alike isn't it.

Remember don't take any blankets!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:26 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,149,055 times
Great post Dan. Really makes you think, doesn't it?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM

25,852 posts, read 44,116,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Great post Dan. Really makes you think, doesn't it?
Aren't you a transplanted New Yorker yourself though?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM

904 posts, read 1,253,987 times
Seems relevant to this thread: The other day I met a salesperson who was a transplant from Philly long ago. She told me in a non-judemental, matter-of-fact tone that this area is "about 30 years behind the times."

Whew, that one is sure gonna stick in my head for a while.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Aren't you a transplanted New Yorker yourself though?
Yes I am Paul. I've been here in NEPA for about 15 years now. I understand though what Dan is saying. The higher taxes are driving people out and bringing them here. Eventually, more and more people will be moving here and possibly then raising the taxes here even more. Then people will have to find another place to go. Essentially a vicious circle.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM

904 posts, read 1,253,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its scary how much those scenarios sound alike isn't it.
oh please, are you seriously comparing your plight to that of american indians?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
The only complaint I have about the influence of NY on NE PA is that they bring their support of crappy NY sports team with them. Now we're stuck with the stinkin' Yankees AAA team instead of the Phillies that we had for 18 years, and one of the reason they give for the Yankees moving here is all the NYers moving to NE PA.

It could be worse I guess, we could be stuck with the Mets.
I agree Mr.Krabs. I support NY teams, can't you tell by my screen name. But I always thought the Phillies should of stayed in Moosic. I don't think you should cater to certain people just to have the NY Yankeess here. The games were just as fun when they were the Red Barons. I couldn't care less that they're the Yankees now. I like the Rangers, but I support the Baby Pens, because they are our local hockey team. I don't care that the Ranger's farm team isn't here. I kind of miss the Red Barons, because with the Yankees it's all hype and the games aren't any better because they're here.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM

2,938 posts, read 780,415 times
The Yankees farm system usually sucks anyways. They usually trade away their top prospects for high priced big league free agents anyways. At least with the Phillies, we saw guys like Scott Rolen, Pat Burrell, Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Shane Victorino, Cole Hamels, Ryan Howard, etc etc play here for a while. What really makes me mad is how they've improved the stadium for the Yankees with a grass field and everything, and the reason the Phillies left is because the county wouldn't do those things for them.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,472,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
oh please, are you seriously comparing your plight to that of american indians?
Not my plight. Its the cycle that people in this country feel that they can just move into any area and eventually force those that live there out.

The comparisons are there, maybe the methods and the vehicles of change are different but its the same basic premise.

Why is ok for people from out of state to move here and bring their problems and ideals but its not ok for the residents here to object? Its a one sided argument.

We're moving into your area and our numbers are going to change your way of life and put a burden on your infastructure and social services but you have no right to complain about it?

That sound about right?

When the indians complained they got blankets, now we just get increased crime and higher populations and the higher taxes that will most certainly follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania