Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 134,911 times

Advertisements

Well I will try again.
I posted a question about the Jim Thorpe area on the Lehigh Vally page and was told that Jim Thorpe is not there. OOPS.
My wife and I are looking at a home a mile or so above J.T. off rt 903.
We are trying to find out what the Jim Thorpe area is like as far as quality of life issues. Teenage drinking , vandalism , graffitti etc. We curently live on the outskirts of North East Philadelphia and are totaly fed up with the trash , graffitti , noise , and vandalism. But mosty we are fed up with the citys inability to even slow down the rampant spread of crime and falling quality of life problems.
We have driven and walked around the Jim Thorpe area a bit and it seems OK but we dont know anyone there to ask what it is really like.
Can anyone shead any info on that area?
I also learned that there is no sense asking the realtor because there hands are tied by some misguided fedreal law that phrohibits them from telling a pesron the truth about an area, boy talk about big brother..
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
My parents grew up in Jim Thorpe, one on either side of the river. They always considered the area the Lehigh Valley, considering the Lehigh River, Lehigh River Gorge and Lehigh Valley Railroad are all right there. However, as the Poconos seem to keep moving themselves westward, Jim Thorpe is apparently now considered to be in the Poconos. We'd better watch out here in the Susquehanna Valley, or soon we'll be considered the Poconos also. (eyeroll!)

My knowledge of Jim Thorpe is based back when I was a kid and visiting my grandparents. I'm 45 now, so probably won't be of much help to you. I remember it as being a "small town" feel, with friendly people, most of whom were blue collar workers. The tourism industry has really grown there, as have out of town developments such as the one you're looking into, and things have changed. I think you'll find much less crime than where you're coming from, but as in all areas, there will be some, and maybe it will seem higher because tourists are the targets (pickpocketing, etc.).

Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,298 times
I grew up in nearby Nesquehoning, but I haven't lived in the area for a number of years. I too, have very positive memories of the area, and return often, as much of my family and DH's too are still in the Panther Valley area.

Jim Thorpe is a wonderful little town, actually divided by the Lehigh River (that's why Dawne said that her parents lived across the bridge. That section of town, and up the road on Route 903 is growing quite rapidly, especially at the top of the hill. The section on the other side of the river is mainly historical/tourist laden, but you can find camping, the great Mauch Chunk lake, and more housing there as well.

Checking the local paper, as I do everyday, there's not too much to report in terms of crime. I'm sure small stuff, like petty vandalism, happens, but it really seems to be a low crime area. If you want to check out the local papers, the two that cover the area are the Times News (Times News Online |) and The Morning Call (Lehigh Valley news, Allentown news, Bethlehem news, pocono news, Easton news from The Morning Call and mcall.com -- themorningcall.com). There are two others - The Standard Speaker and Pottsville Republican, but they might not cover JT.

Hope this helps you.
Cathy

Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 PM

173 posts, read 582,239 times
I live in Towmensing Trails a development off 903 about a 20 minute drive or so from Downtown Jim Thorpe, its still the Jim Thorpe School District. From all the times i've been to Jim Thorpe it is a nice town. While every area has its problems, don't think you will escape teen drinking, vandalism, or crime. That is everywhere, its just a matter of how much. But if you compare the crime in jim thorpe to philly then it is a night and day difference, of course there is only a fraction of the people that live in Jim Thorpe compared to Philly.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
If you want a sense of how dull the folks of Jim Thorpe have become as of late, the biggest controversy in town a few months back that was plastered all over the local media was a squabble between the county and a property owner in the town. Basically the county courthouse chimes music at the start of every hour thanks to a contribution from a very charitable man who recently passed away, and a man who purchased a nearby mansion was so irked by it that he began to blare very loud classical music out of his window back towards the courthouse. You'll find this a lot actually---newcomers grating on the nerves of "natives" by asking them to change this or to alter that. I myself did a very lengthy photo tour of Jim Thorpe (that unfortunately did not conver Dawne's side of the river), and if I can recall correctly the chimes were beautiful and brought a smile to my face. I can't believe something so trivial would become the talk of the town, but I suppose that's what happens when there's no REAL crime to talk about!

Then again I suppose things could always be worse. In Scranton a woman was fined for cursing at her overflowing toilet, which lead to all sorts of national attention, and in Boulder, CO, a woman was fined for dying her poodle pink to raise awareness of breast cancer. When cities like these have virtually no crime, residents turn to nitpicking to cause trouble.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
If you want a sense of how dull the folks of Jim Thorpe have become as of late, the biggest controversy in town a few months back that was plastered all over the local media was a squabble between the county and a property owner in the town. Basically the county courthouse chimes music at the start of every hour thanks to a contribution from a very charitable man who recently passed away, and a man who purchased a nearby mansion was so irked by it that he began to blare very loud classical music out of his window back towards the courthouse. You'll find this a lot actually---newcomers grating on the nerves of "natives" by asking them to change this or to alter that. I myself did a very lengthy photo tour of Jim Thorpe (that unfortunately did not conver Dawne's side of the river), and if I can recall correctly the chimes were beautiful and brought a smile to my face. I can't believe something so trivial would become the talk of the town, but I suppose that's what happens when there's no REAL crime to talk about!

Then again I suppose things could always be worse. In Scranton a woman was fined for cursing at her overflowing toilet, which lead to all sorts of national attention, and in Boulder, CO, a woman was fined for dying her poodle pink to raise awareness of breast cancer. When cities like these have virtually no crime, residents turn to nitpicking to cause trouble.
Ha Ha Ha . I can do dull for a while . I figure I have about 20 years left if I am lucky.
I lived just outside Mansfield Pa.for a while when I was younger. I can deal with dull.
For the last 30 years I have been living here where everyday there is a shooting or a burgulary or theft of some sort. We have had three of our cars stolen and every other one broken into . The part that ticks me off is there is nothing in the car to steal but that makes no difference. They smash your $200 window just to look in the glove box.
I cant remember any 4 hours in a row without hearing the wail of sireins from either fire trucks or police cars or rescue wagons .
Then there is the sensless vandalism where bands of kids will go around and cut car tires on 20 or 30 cars just for fun or spray paint anything and everything with graffitti. The area we live in is one of the last out posts left that is not overrun. The problem is I can hear the jungle drums on the outskirts of our area and they get closer and closer each month.
I will be glad for some dull .

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Default Jim Thorpe= Excellence in Living!

Hello! I have lived in Jim Thorpe for over 11 years now, and own a home on Broadway. This is the place to live, as we simply do not tolerate crime, and if anyone commits one, you can be certain that someone here will see that the police are called immediately! For example, a couple of young *age 13 kids decided to break a window one day, and not only were they followed down the street, by a neighbor with cell phone in hand, but the officer who came out at the request of the person reporting the incident, actually knew who he was, and took him to the police station to have his parents made accountable. This may happen elsewhere, but it happens as a matter of course in our town!
Also, the schools RULE up here- dances are always supervised by the local police, the quality of education is exceptional (my daughter has always been in the upper 5th percentile) and the borough puts on organized parties for Christmas, Halloween etc at NO COST to residents. They also have a summer program for younger kids, where they take them to swim in our local lake, do crafts, etc. at no cost! I love this town and can assure you it is safe and secure in living up here! One of the big news stories says it all about the crime in the area- kids were skateboarding on a sidewalk somewhere, I forget the details, but for that to have made the news, ought to tell you something! WELCOME, but make sure your kids behave, as they don't take too kindly to "imports" right away, but this is a town where if you show respect, you get plenty of it, in return!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosielane View Post
Hello! I have lived in Jim Thorpe for over 11 years now, and own a home on Broadway. This is the place to live, as we simply do not tolerate crime, and if anyone commits one, you can be certain that someone here will see that the police are called immediately! For example, a couple of young *age 13 kids decided to break a window one day, and not only were they followed down the street, by a neighbor with cell phone in hand, but the officer who came out at the request of the person reporting the incident, actually knew who he was, and took him to the police station to have his parents made accountable. This may happen elsewhere, but it happens as a matter of course in our town!
Also, the schools RULE up here- dances are always supervised by the local police, the quality of education is exceptional (my daughter has always been in the upper 5th percentile) and the borough puts on organized parties for Christmas, Halloween etc at NO COST to residents. They also have a summer program for younger kids, where they take them to swim in our local lake, do crafts, etc. at no cost! I love this town and can assure you it is safe and secure in living up here! One of the big news stories says it all about the crime in the area- kids were skateboarding on a sidewalk somewhere, I forget the details, but for that to have made the news, ought to tell you something! WELCOME, but make sure your kids behave, as they don't take too kindly to "imports" right away, but this is a town where if you show respect, you get plenty of it, in return!
Great! Imports Ha Ha Ha . I guess I would fall into that catagory for a while.
It's funny but when I was a kid growing up this area was mostly farms and woods. I was late for school many times because I would stop and play with the cows giving them handfuls of fresh grass to eat. I also lived in Mansfield Pa, for a while so I have been a country guy at heart all my life.
As far as kids go ,,we got rid of them years ago and picked up a couple of dogs ,,,,,they listen better and dont need new shoes ect.
I have liked That area for a long time . I worked for a company that sold and repaired machinery and small forktrucks . There used to be a string of ACME stores all around that area . They all had these crappy foot operated lifts that lifted bailes of cardboard out of the compactor. Every week one would fail so I got to drive up from Philly to fix one or two a week. I would bring my wife and we would stop up at Flagstaff and have lunch and just sit and look for a while then roll home.
I would take a different way home each time , if there was time. We found some great spots to sit and have lunch .
I often thought it would be good to end up up there. Sounds like I might.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:12 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I consider the area to be desirable for quiet, peaceful living. I also consider it the Lehigh Valley, as it is in Carbon County. If you go on Pocono Relocation Guide you can find info on the Carbon County area.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Well we went up to the JT area and looked at a nice home about 4 miles above JT off 903.
Great setting, perfect home site on a flat nicely wooded one acre lot that backed up to state forest.
Nice home , neat clean with a great garage and sun room. Not much closet space and the home was on the small side but possible. The price was in not bad then I asked about property tax.
I still have no idea what the realtor said. She sounded like Obama trying to explaine how he never heard his pastor message in 20 years. So I tried to look it up on the Carbon County web site . I actualy found a site and it was easy to navigate. I found the tax section so I tried to see what the tax on that home would be.
It seems that it is based on the value of the homes in the area and what they are selling for NOW and also there seems to be some mystic ceremony where a tax person looks at the home and then throws chicken bones on the ground and sprinkles them with chicken blood and then spins around three times and a number pops into his head and that is what you pay.
No matter what way he spins the number is on the hight side.
I dont want to be dumping out $300 or so a month on tax untill next year when it may go up again. We are retired .
I am wondering is it the plan of the county to do away with average people and end up with only very rich and very poor residents?
I am seeing that my dear old dad was right when he said " BE RICH OR POOR BUT DON'T BE IN THE MIDDLE BECAUSE IF YOUR IN THE MIDDLE YOU WILL PAY TO SUPPORT BOTH ENDS". I didnt listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania