U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 AM

18,365 posts, read 11,557,207 times

Advertisements

There's nothing in Towanda really. I lived and worked there for approx 10 yrs. Retired from that hospital and moved back to Tioga County, of which Wellsboro is the county seat.

As a stop-over, in Bradford County,(where Towanda is) there's French Azilium, Mt Pisgah State Park, (ignore Mt Pisgah County park), a few other touristy sites but as a place to move, I seriously don't recommend it.

Wellsboro is due west on rte 6. About the same climate although I think Wellsboro gets more snow. It's pretty much a toutisty town and is getting more and more artsy. Of the 2, I'd go for Wellsboro. oh, and rte 15, an expressway, heads north/south making easy access to Corning, NY and rte 86 east/west for easy access to Binghamton, Rochester, and other big NY cities. and Erie,PA, another place I've never been. and Williamsport south

Haven't been to Coudersport in ages (another small town heading west on rte 6, county seat of Potter County) but I've heard that also is picking up an artist type atmosphere. Cherry Springs State Park, just south, is one of the darkest places on the east coast. They have a lot of night-sky watchers over there.

all of these are small towns. There's some things to do but not nearly as much as in big cities of course. If you need to be entertained, I'd say stick to the southern part of the state. Bigger cities. If can find your own fun, you might enjoy the northern part. More rural. Much more rural.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM

26 posts, read 35,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
There's nothing in Towanda really. I lived and worked there for approx 10 yrs. Retired from that hospital and moved back to Tioga County, of which Wellsboro is the county seat.

As a stop-over, in Bradford County,(where Towanda is) there's French Azilium, Mt Pisgah State Park, (ignore Mt Pisgah County park), a few other touristy sites but as a place to move, I seriously don't recommend it.

Wellsboro is due west on rte 6. About the same climate although I think Wellsboro gets more snow. It's pretty much a toutisty town and is getting more and more artsy. Of the 2, I'd go for Wellsboro. oh, and rte 15, an expressway, heads north/south making easy access to Corning, NY and rte 86 east/west for easy access to Binghamton, Rochester, and other big NY cities. and Erie,PA, another place I've never been. and Williamsport south

Haven't been to Coudersport in ages (another small town heading west on rte 6, county seat of Potter County) but I've heard that also is picking up an artist type atmosphere. Cherry Springs State Park, just south, is one of the darkest places on the east coast. They have a lot of night-sky watchers over there.

all of these are small towns. There's some things to do but not nearly as much as in big cities of course. If you need to be entertained, I'd say stick to the southern part of the state. Bigger cities. If can find your own fun, you might enjoy the northern part. More rural. Much more rural.
Got it and thanks so much. I really like the area in Lehigh Valley and Jim Thorpe as well however when I started studying weather conditions and I read 50 inches of rain that sounds like an insane amount of rain and I'm wondering if they included in that total the water content in the annual snowfall they get or can you tell me if that's the case and is it extremely rainy all the time in southeast Pennsylvania especially in the Lehigh Valley or are these mostly your summer pop-up storms that pour and then clear up?

Just trying to grasp 50 inches of rain in the season when even during an El Niño out here we may get 20in in a season. I know this is all part of what makes this part of country so beautiful but also don't want to be in a overcast soggy miserable location for months on end either.

Again thanks for all the help

Old 01-19-2018, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 35,148 times
Seems like there's quite a bit a rain coming in the next 10 days but I don't see any snow forecasted and temperature are well above freezing. Is this normal or typically would this area be getting more snow then rain during this time of year?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,516,140 times
You can check out weather history on this site: https://www.wunderground.com/history...l?req_city=Jim Thorpe&req_state=PA&req_statename=Pennsylvania&req db.zip=18229&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999 Overcast is pretty common. I know you want to avoid the California brown, but in the long winter months there's a lot of grey in the Northeast.

This might be good to compare PA to California also. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...ed-states/3208

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 827,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
Got it and thanks so much. I really like the area in Lehigh Valley and Jim Thorpe as well however when I started studying weather conditions and I read 50 inches of rain that sounds like an insane amount of rain and I'm wondering if they included in that total the water content in the annual snowfall they get or can you tell me if that's the case and is it extremely rainy all the time in southeast Pennsylvania especially in the Lehigh Valley or are these mostly your summer pop-up storms that pour and then clear up?

Just trying to grasp 50 inches of rain in the season when even during an El Niño out here we may get 20in in a season. I know this is all part of what makes this part of country so beautiful but also don't want to be in a overcast soggy miserable location for months on end either.

Again thanks for all the help

On average (and in general most of PA), it is sunny here 2/3 of the year. Meaning over 200 days a year we have sunshine. There are cloudy days, there are rainy days, it all depends. Weather patterns in this part of the USA are quite variable.

NOTE: That while yes the Pacific NW and places like Seattle and Portland get less rain than the Mid Atlantic, the form of rainfall is much different, as well as the weather patterns. The Pacific NW is going to have majority of the year cloudy/with light rain.

The Mid Atlantic as I said is going to be different in that it has constantly changing intervals/weather patterns. So within one week you might have 4 sunny days, one cloudy and 2 rainy. Typically rain here is solid rain, and not misting variations seen more in the NW.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM

1,908 posts, read 3,403,116 times
Towanda is further west than Wyalusing where the French settled in an effort to evacuate Marie Antoinette there. It's very beautiful country up that way and I like to visit the area in the summer but it is really far out of the way. The closest city that has major shopping is Dickson City which is a pretty good drive from there. It's what I would call living in the boondocks if I lived out that way. Very lovely surroundings though and I even entertained the idea of a home at one point there but I'm glad I didn't, it's just too far off the beaten path. You could use Tunkhannock as a shopping area for Walmart but not much else is there and that is still 30 to 45 minutes away from Towanda and Dickson City must be 1:15 minutes away or something like that. You really are out in the country if you go out there.

Since your family is so interested in snowy areas haven't you considered a possible relocation to Denver? I just don't believe you are going to get the snow fix you seem to desire here. Yes, we have skiing and it does snow but it is sporadic and sometimes you get dry years when we have very little snow. This year you would be happy because we've had a lot but it doesn't happen every year. If you want beautiful nature all summer long and like walks at lakes or visiting water falls and hiking trails this area will not disappoint. You will get your snow and skiing in but just don't count on it all the time.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 PM

18,365 posts, read 11,557,207 times
Wyalusing, French Azilium, and Towanda are all in Bradford County. Not a whole lot to do any place in that county.
There is a wal-mart in Sayre (also Bradford county, about 10 miles or so north of Towanda. Also an Aldis, couple of grocery stores, few local type restaurants. Most people do their major shopping in Horseheads, NY (Consumer Square has lots of stores) Elmira, NY or Binghamton, NY depending where they live.

If you really want snow, and I mean REALLY want snow, try Maine. Especially Bangor. City benefits, not too far from the country.

Not as big as a lot of cities but still quite civilized.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM

28,484 posts, read 27,268,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
Totally understand and agree. While we are loving the look of Jim Thorpe and the surrounding areas the 50 inches of rain annually sounds astronomical to us. So I started doing a little digging and found Towanda, can you tell me about Towanda the area around that that please, they say it gets only 35 inches of rain and looks to get a couple feet more snow then Jim Thorpe as well, and yet is still close to New York City when we want to go see a play or whatever

So now I'm kind of trying to narrow it down to places that get less rain and better annual snowfall average

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZs3mjGlQU

You don't want to live in Towanda. There is absolutely nothing going on there, and there hasn't been for as long as I've been alive... and that's a pretty long time.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM

4,317 posts, read 3,754,376 times
Wyalusing is where a very large Cargill slaughterhouse is located. Cattle trucks constantly pass through the area and you can see the forlorn look on their faces. And across the river and up aways is P&N Packing Co., in Terry Township where they kill calves. The veal is sold under the "Premier" brand. Towanda would even be too close for me.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM

28,484 posts, read 27,268,995 times
Cargill Meat Solutions. Interesting name.

When I was little, my parents used to take me to a farm. I pet the cows, followed the ducks, and fed the chickens while they were arranging to buy them for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania