Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times

Advertisements

Hello there everyone I am most likely moving to Scranton Pa. in the very near future. The threads I am reading appear to be older information (from several years ago). I am reading online trying to be prepared. I have lived in Pennsylvania before (many years back) in Tobyhanna. I want to move back to Pa. but to an area where there would be more jobs. Also, an area that isn't too far from Mt. Pocono since that's where my daughter still lives. My main questions are, what are the good and bad areas in Scranton?? What areas do I need to avoid due to flooding issues? How are the taxes on homes there?
I am wanting to move to a "good" area. Also not wanting anything to do with any flood zones! Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Florida just isn't for me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura marino View Post
Hello there everyone I am most likely moving to Scranton Pa. in the very near future. The threads I am reading appear to be older information (from several years ago). I am reading online trying to be prepared. I have lived in Pennsylvania before (many years back) in Tobyhanna. I want to move back to Pa. but to an area where there would be more jobs. Also, an area that isn't too far from Mt. Pocono since that's where my daughter still lives. My main questions are, what are the good and bad areas in Scranton?? What areas do I need to avoid due to flooding issues? How are the taxes on homes there?
I am wanting to move to a "good" area. Also not wanting anything to do with any flood zones! Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Florida just isn't for me! Thank you!
If you do not have it yet; get the free Google 'Earth' program: https://google-earth.en.softonic.com...d?ex=DSK-347.2. On the bottom of the program it shows elevation of the areas you are looking at. If you see a river or stream close to the home you want to rent or buy and there is not a lot of elevation between you and the water; you might be in trouble. Stay out of valleys if you do not want flooding.

Are you planning to work in Scranton? Do you have a job lined up? If you do; you might narrow your choice to areas between your job and your daughter? That way it would be easier to visit and, at the same time, to go to work.

Narrow down exactly what your want and the area you want to move to. There are many on this forum that might be able to give you more information about any place you might want to move. Many of us recommend renting first - just so you do not make a major mistake. Become familiar with your new surroundings before making a major commitment like buying. Do your homework (which is what you are doing now).

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2018, 04:43 PM

151 posts, read 147,580 times
As far as job prospects I think you should consider relocating to the Lehigh Valley which would probably put you between 40-55 minutes or so to Tobyhanna. You also could potentially commute into Jersey from there for work.

Also what type of work are you looking for? Might help recommend an area. Scranton to Tobyhanna is a simple commute of 25 to 30 mins and it might offer you a job opportunity but LV is better for lots of reasons in my opinion.

If you are all in on Scranton I would avoid west and south scranton. Perhaps consider green ridge or upper hill but better yet look at neighboring Dunmore.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Average Home Values By City - Lehigh Valley

Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 AM

342 posts, read 318,288 times
I would base the decision on where the job is. Homes are roughly 20% more in the Lehigh Valley, but if that's where the job is, then I'd move there.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:41 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura marino View Post
I want to move back to Pa. but to an area where there would be more jobs.
As others have pointed out previously there are no good jobs up there....you didn't specify what particular jobs your looking for either....but professional jobs up north are an extreme rarity....your better off in the Lehigh Valley where there are much more bigger companies than up north....if your tired of Florida maybe you should consider the Atlanta, GA area....many more job opportunities there, better healthcare than you'll find in NEPA, lower cost of living, and the best of all: no winters!! Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:51 PM

67 posts, read 132,573 times
Default Research other states

Other states will offer you a lot more right now than PA, or NEPA. Many of my relatives have moved out of the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area. There is no good paying jobs there anymore. Most of the area has old homes, areas in disrepair, high taxes, high housing prices, lack of good medical care and lack of restaurants, etc. I lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for years. Very nice place to live. Lots of jobs, shopping, entertainment, restaurants, low taxes, no state income tax, etc.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM

342 posts, read 318,288 times
There are high paying jobs if you have the proper skills or start your own business.

Also housing is cheap compared to other areas.

Geisinger has done a great job improving the quality of healthcare over the past 10 years. Anything really unique or rare can be treated in nearby (2 hours) Philadelphia or New York City both of which which has world class health facilities. Other areas may not even have such high quality facilities in the entire state. We are fortunate here.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
There are high paying jobs if you have the proper skills or start your own business.

Also housing is cheap compared to other areas.

Geisinger has done a great job improving the quality of healthcare over the past 10 years. Anything really unique or rare can be treated in nearby (2 hours) Philadelphia or New York City both of which which has world class health facilities. Other areas may not even have such high quality facilities in the entire state. We are fortunate here.
Geisinger in Danville and WB offer great medical services. Lehigh has moved into Bartonsville and was talking about building another hospital in Tannersville (although I have not heard any follow up information on that proposed expansion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania