Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Who are you to assume that just because someone complains, that they do nothing in their community?
Me.

....and it's a pretty good bet that some of those who complain the most, don't contribute.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Me.

....and it's a pretty good bet that some of those who complain the most, don't contribute.......
Well, I hope you don't bet much, because you'd be losing your shirt as a gambler. My opinion is the opposite of yours....I believe that most apathetic people are the ones who couldn't be bothered to do anything to help their community. Apathy is what enables these corrupt politicans at all levels from local right up to Washington, to continue to run this country into the ground and take advantage of the people for their own personal gain.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Well, I hope you don't bet much, because you'd be losing your shirt as a gambler. My opinion is the opposite of yours....I believe that most apathetic people are the ones who couldn't be bothered to do anything to help their community. Apathy is what enables these corrupt politicans at all levels from local right up to Washington, to continue to run this country into the ground and take advantage of the people for their own personal gain.
I think you hit the nail right on the head! The trickle down theory of government and it is not a good thing for the people. The attitude of politicans is if the feds get away with it, we can too!

The nation is now divided with big $$$$$$ making more and more and the Blue Collar foks and middle class being lost. We need to pull together to get this area and country back on track.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Me.

Your out of line. I complain. Our neighborhood assoc cleans the river banks in our area. We are putting together a fishing derby for kids. We hold an annual block party to help keep our neighborhood close and friendly for our kids. I or we help whenever we can with each others properties and problems.

We have a very tight neighborhood where everyone watches each others kids and backs.

MY family has been involved in many issues in the area for years. My family was some of the original members of C.A.R.E (Citizens Action Regarding the Environment) that helped to stop the incinerator that they wanted to put in the Keystone landfill in the 80's. They also shut down a proposed large business park on Moosic Mountain, along with a proposed womens prison and Army National Guard heliport with the help of the Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy and now one of the bigger pieces of Moosic Mountain is protected from any future development.

The real problem is the apathetic sheep like yourself that really do nothing. Its sad that you think that people that speak out for what is right are wrong. Maybe if we didn't care then you would of been happy with a garbage incinerator right in the middle of the valley in Dunmore? Maybe you would prefer that we let the river go and the trash build up, maybe we should just let you handle it.

If you or any of the sheep would just shut up and take the time to read some of the stuff and maybe just maybe read between the lines and open up your narrow focus of attention from "if its not in my backyard I don't care" mentality the city might not be in the spot that it is.

Don't worry though sooner or later pulling that straight democrat lever will pay off, I just hope you still have a job and a house when it does.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,578 times
Why are any of you taking what I said personally?

I'm not apathetic in the least. That's berserk!

Out of line? From someone whose posts are too frequently hostile if not obnoxious?
I won't be taking that as realistic/rational observation.......

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,949 times
You were suprised by the overreaction?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
They're hypocrites, that's why. CHS89 and weluvpa constantly say that I take this board too seriously and far too personally, yet when someone makes a statement about either one of them they likewise fly off the handle. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. I think most on here take this forum too personally, including myself. That comes with the territory of interacting (at least via cyberspace) with everyone on here nearly everyday; we become like a giant dysfunctional family. For as much as CHS89 and Dan (weluvpa) get on my nerves at times, I don't respect either of them any less for voicing their opinions, and I hope that's reciprocal with them towards me as well.

Quote:
I too think it is berserk because while you tend to steer clear of any Scranton-oriented threads, your past contributions when you were more active on the forum regarding Wilkes-Barre were very informative and well-noted by myself. Wilkes-Barre (and Scranton despite what most on this forum would lead you to believe) are wounded cities, but they ARE healing and are on the upswing after decades of decline. However, I must admit that I don't know why you got so defensive against me in the Hotel Sterling thread when MrKrabs and I disagreed with someone who suggested it be torn down. Perhaps you just misunderstood that conversation?

Quote:
Out of line? From someone whose posts are too frequently hostile if not obnoxious?
I wouldn't call Dan hostile. He's just angry because nobody on city council, the mayor administration, etc. takes him seriously, so he comes on here to rant because he knows that generally speaking a half-dozen or so folks will find merit in what he has to say, just as perhaps a half-dozen or so folks on this forum will also side with me. I look forward actually to what he has to say at the city council meeting tonight, as this is the first Tuesday evening I have off from work in quite a number of weeks. I just wish he didn't have a "conspiracy theory" behind EVERYTHING. He has my own personal word that I am in no way, shape, or form politically connected to the city, and I'm hoping to move there and start my own future downtown business ON MY OWN MERIT without any government subsidies.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,033 times
Very Interesting thread with alot of good Info,BUT....remember to stay within the TOS....attack the post not the poster...Alot of really good points being brought up.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
Wolfington no longer owns the connell building, it has been sold, but I do not know for sure who the new owner is. The funding must have been delayed, as work on the new parking garage was to have started a few weeks ago. I do think they are moving forward, though, as a work crew was checking out the building yesterday for a few hours.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:

I take exception also. We have a right to complain about anything we want, at anytime time. If you don't like it, that's not my crisis. I don't know how you could equate complaining to not contributing to your community. Very comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania