Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 AM

383 posts, read 429,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Just out of curiosity, did the dog that barked by you when you lived here; have an owner with political clout? There are always some people that seem immune to local zoning laws.
So strange you ask... Not! At the time, I didn't believe there could humanly be a connection between these low-lifes and the police tolerating these dog-owners knowingly, by chaining a maltreated, malnourished dog, robbing me of the ten best years of my life. It was only after I sold the house and moved away that I learned the wife's family did indeed have connections.

Agree 100% with your theory that these days, particularly after Libre's Law, an attitude about barking dogs may lead to less barking. My hell on earth took place in the 90's. I'm a Christian, and when I say I will never forgive anyone involved, what I mean is that when I face my final judgment and have to give an accounting of my life, I will lay out the facts and know that God will know they're the facts. And I will confess to Him that I cannot forgive the loss of the only home I ever owned due to a howling dog.

But sadly, cruelty and evil always lead to more cruelty and evil. One of the worst--maybe the worst--consequence that can befall a traditional American family befell this family after their gleeful decade of torture of me and the neighborhood, a fate I would not wish even on them. Cruelty toward animals always indicates cruelty in general, whether the devil stays at home or ever shows his face outside the front or back doors.

To finish on a less grim note, I've come to the conclusion that ironically in 2018, for reasons you mention--and Libre's Law--the risk of encountering barking dogs in rural PA is higher than encountering them in urban areas. I truly dislike Pennsylvania. In fact, I hate it--and I was born, raised, etc. I find it the most backward, happily ignorant, angry redneck state in the Northeast/MidAtlantic. There are some pleasant pockets--and Swiftwater may be one, but only because of its current demographics. Back in the day, it was as bad and corrupt as the rest of NEPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
So strange you ask... Not! At the time, I didn't believe there could humanly be a connection between these low-lifes and the police tolerating these dog-owners knowingly, by chaining a maltreated, malnourished dog, robbing me of the ten best years of my life. It was only after I sold the house and moved away that I learned the wife's family did indeed have connections.

Agree 100% with your theory that these days, particularly after Libre's Law, an attitude about barking dogs may lead to less barking. My hell on earth took place in the 90's. I'm a Christian, and when I say I will never forgive anyone involved, what I mean is that when I face my final judgment and have to give an accounting of my life, I will lay out the facts and know that God will know they're the facts. And I will confess to Him that I cannot forgive the loss of the only home I ever owned due to a howling dog.

But sadly, cruelty and evil always lead to more cruelty and evil. One of the worst--maybe the worst--consequence that can befall a traditional American family befell this family after their gleeful decade of torture of me and the neighborhood, a fate I would not wish even on them. Cruelty toward animals always indicates cruelty in general, whether the devil stays at home or ever shows his face outside the front or back doors.

To finish on a less grim note, I've come to the conclusion that ironically in 2018, for reasons you mention--and Libre's Law--the risk of encountering barking dogs in rural PA is higher than encountering them in urban areas. I truly dislike Pennsylvania. In fact, I hate it--and I was born, raised, etc. I find it the most backward, happily ignorant, angry redneck state in the Northeast/MidAtlantic. There are some pleasant pockets--and Swiftwater may be one, but only because of its current demographics. Back in the day, it was as bad and corrupt as the rest of NEPA.
Technically I am a transplant since I was born in another state and moved at a very young age to PA. I also grew up as a Christian; but saw the light and have enjoyed being an atheist for the last fifty years. However I do believe in the Golden Rule: to do unto others the as you would have them do unto you. I have seen many, what I would describe as evil Christians, over the years. We had one religious neighbor that left their dog bark while the husband of another neighbor lay in bed dying of cancer. The only thing that stopped that dog from barking is that it finally died. I believe that every neighbor on the block complained about that dog. We are adjacent to that development and have more land that separated us; but it was still one big nuisance and we had called and complained many times.

Back then there was more than one barking dog. Today it is quite; except for a random bark from time to time.

I have lived in this State for 71 years. I don't know any racist. I have worked with people of all colors and nationalities. I also only know a handful, at the most, of locals. Virtually everybody I meet is from NY or NJ or someplace other than here.

While I do know that we could be the exception; I have never encountered blatant racism anyplace in PA. Of course I have seen the news about Klan activity; but I have never had anybody urge me to join one of these hate movements. We have always tried to treat all people the way they treat us.

I have witnessed attitudes change in my 71 years. My grandparents owned a hotel/bar in the 1950's and 1960's. I would run in and grab a free soda while I did choirs for my grandparents. Then husbands and wives would walk into the bar and the wife would have a black eye or signs of abuse. The other patrons would ask the husband: What did she do this time! That stuck with me all of these years. Of course today the man would be in jail. What I am saying is that sometimes it simply takes time. Many areas of our state have been assimilated by people from other nationalities and races. All of them have contributed to change. The technology has also played a major role in change. Everything can go viral in seconds. There are about 200,000,000 + cellphones just waiting to capture the next headline. Today's PA is not yesterday's PA and the same can be said of many other states.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In my experience, admittedly limited, dog-owners tune out the sound of the bark, bark, bark.
Probably not home the whole time. I'm very much attuned to my dog's bark because they typically do not bark for no reason. I had them visiting at my Grandmothers and the next door lady has two of those yappy ankle biters, it was with great pride as I watched them ignore them... The lady says, "Your dogs don't bark?"

There is the a cat/dog/deer/bear is in my yard bark. Then there is the someone I know is coming up the driveway bark distinctly different than there is someone coming up the driveway I do not know bark. There is also the very low I heard something and don't know what it is bark... probably a few I missed.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 AM

54 posts, read 81,668 times
Quote:
Many areas of our state have been assimilated by people from other nationalities and races. All of them have contributed to change. The technology has also played a major role in change. Everything can go viral in seconds. There are about 200,000,000 + cellphones just waiting to capture the next headline. Today's PA is not yesterday's PA and the same can be said of many other states.
I was thinking there may have been less racism in the past take this quote from a WNEP report on Tuskegee airman James Harvey
Quote:
Harvey spent his teenage years in Nuangola Station, in the Mountain Top area. The community was named for a busy train stop, and only a concrete slab of that station remains.
He grew up as part of the only African-American family in this community in southern Luzerne County. In his memoirs, Harvey said, "I was treated like everyone else. There was not any prejudice whatsoever."
His friends elected Harvey senior class president at his high school in Mountain Top.
But after graduation, race mattered.
Harvey was drafted in 1943 and sent to Alabama, where the Army Air Corps developed an all-black flying unit that came to be known as the Tuskegee Airmen.
"During that period of time, Tuskegee, Alabama was the worst place in the country, as far as Negroes are concerned. It was sport to go out on a Saturday night, pick up a young black man, beat him, castrate him, hang him."
Harvey says he encountered subtle racism in the military.
The Army Air Corps, like the American south, remained largely segregated. All military pilots were white.
"They said we didn't have the ability to fly aircraft or operate heavy machinery. We were inferior to the white man, we were nothing."

There were very few minorities in the area until more recently so I would not be surprised if there is more racism now, especially in the cities and towns that have seen a large increase in the minority population, ironically or not the democrat strongholds of the area.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
I was thinking there may have been less racism in the past take this quote from a WNEP report on Tuskegee airman James Harvey.
I was born in Norfolk and was moved to Monroe County in the first few months after birth. But we did make many trips to VA to visit my grandparents. We would run down Route 13 and take the ferry over to the mainland. That ferry had segregated bathrooms probably until the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel went into service in 1964. In the 1970's I made some chemical deliveries around Mississippi and Louisiana. Black warehouse workers were still treated very poorly and only one small step above slavery. Change did not come that quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
There were very few minorities in the area until more recently so I would not be surprised if there is more racism now, especially in the cities and towns that have seen a large increase in the minority population, ironically or not the democrat strongholds of the area.
When I graduated in 1964 we had only one Black student in my PM class. Today it is a totally different picture.

Originally many Whites in our area fought against the change. However many of us have sold property over the years. Locals did not have the big bucks to pay for that property and, those that fought against the change, found out they could not live on just their principals. So we sold to the highest bidders that came from the cities. Change was inevitable - some just did not see it.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:06 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
We’ve encountered blatant racism several times in our 5 years here. My fiancé is mixed white/Hispanic and looks very white but a very Hispanic name. When we went to open bank accounts, the manager went on a long-winded oration about “brown people” ruining the area. Needless to say, the bank did not garner our business and a letter was sent to the President. She lost, literally, a million dollar account.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
We’ve encountered blatant racism several times in our 5 years here. My fiancé is mixed white/Hispanic and looks very white but a very Hispanic name. When we went to open bank accounts, the manager went on a long-winded oration about “brown people” ruining the area. Needless to say, the bank did not garner our business and a letter was sent to the President. She lost, literally, a million dollar account.
Racism is not tolerated today and how you handled it is exactly what people have to do to fight it. You do not do business with it and you always let somebody know that it is not acceptable. Sometimes it takes losing a job or losing business before they see the light.

I am still a little confused how we went from barking dogs to racism? Is there a connection?

Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 AM

383 posts, read 429,891 times
Quote:
I am still a little confused how we went from barking dogs to racism? Is there a connection?
I'm confused, too, although I think it probably segued when I spoke about how badly I hate Pennsylvania and called it "backward." However, I don't think it's too far a stretch--I sincerely don't.

To the poster (you?) who commented about how his "Christian" neighbors let a dog bark while a neighbor's husband lay dying-- The level of anger and bitterness in a neighborhood is almost always commensurate with income ("Location, location, location").

Often commensurate, but not always. I was raised in whatever class existed (in the 70's) between middle-class and upper-middle-class: "upper-middle-middle-class?" A chained dog within twenty feet of my bedroom who barked for <1 year--as far from its owners' bedrooms as possible-- This nightmare was in an upper-middle-middle-class neighborhood. PA is full of what I call "Christians in Their Own Mirrors and Nowhere Else." I bet these "Christian" neighbors saw Jesus when they looked at their reflections. Full of hate.

Pennsylvania is an angry state. You can deny it; that's your right. As a native, I can state that it is a phenomenally angry state, angrier now than ever. Pockets of NEPA where Caucasians lived in poverty before the millennium have become shooting galleries--by shooters of all colors, but undeniably in certain areas, by non-Caucasians who were not born and raised in the area. Again, statistically, this is undeniable.

So you can talk all you want about (the wonderful) Tuskegee airmen who spent a few months or so in the region a century ago. It has nothing to do with the area's present-dayracism. The regions's favorite animal: the pitbull. Why? Because whites/blacks/Latinos use and abuse these animals to frighten Latinos/whites/blacks.

There's your connection. God bless Libre's Law.

In the words of the George Strait (famous country singer) song, "I Hate Everything." That should be PA's state anthem.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
In the words of the George Strait (famous country singer) song, "I Hate Everything." That should be PA's state anthem.
Right now, when I go shopping, I see no locals; they are a rarity. Everybody I bump into is from out of state. Nobody is telling me that they hate me as a local and I am not telling them to go back home - it is what it is. I acknowledge that it can be simply my area; because I live in the middle of the resort community and surrounded by HOA's.

In my 71 years I have traveled to many parts of my State. Of course some areas are protective and do show signs of racism - but not all. There are Black neighborhoods in the cities that show racism for Whites. People that do not travel, do not associate with other races, seem to cultivate that fantasy about how superior they are to others. People, that condemn a whole state, because of the actions of a few, are racist! Treat people as individuals and you will not have those problems!

I still have to ask: What does this have to do with barking dogs? It sounds as if your want to use your bad experience to condemn the whole State. The one barking dog that I mentioned, that barked all the time while their neighbor was dying of cancer, was owned by a transplant from NJ. I fought, along side of some of our transplants, to have that dog silenced. It did not good at that time in history; I do not think it would happen today. Times/laws/regulations and understanding change and so do people (sometimes).

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
She lost, literally, a million dollar account.
She should have also lost her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania