U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

177 posts, read 415,371 times
Smile Rialto Theater

The old theater in province is the building still there? Any memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,573,435 times
The building is still there but the facade has changed and you would never know that it was a theater. There was a theater right down the street from the house on sanderson. It was in greenridge corners and it was called the Roosevelt. The building is still there but its changed as well to store fronts. I saw one of the old Star Wars movies there when I was a kid.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

177 posts, read 415,371 times
Default Rialto

Well that place is where my ancestors got money to build that house. They owned it in the 20s -330s and then sold it to the comerford family.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM

915 posts, read 2,018,022 times
Remember... when the 'Roosey' showed X-rated movies--I do. I even remember the name of the first movie !!! Must have made an impression !!! Although, I'm sure the
Xers didn't last long.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM

26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
I also heard that the old Comerford Drive-In Theater, adjacent to the former Victoria Inns along Highway 315 in Pittston Township, played X-rated films for a brief period of time in the 1970s. Can anyone substantiate this? Considering we live in a subdivision that abuts this parcel of land, it would have truly been "interesting" to be able to sit on our rooves and get an eyeful!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 AM

2,585 posts, read 1,490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwb View Post
Well that place is where my ancestors got money to build that house. They owned it in the 20s -330s and then sold it to the comerford family.
Thanks for sharing you family's history in the area...I am reading all I can get my hands on about Scranton and Lackwanna Counties history. It is a thrill to hear historical information into a family line!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:35 PM

915 posts, read 2,018,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I also heard that the old Comerford Drive-In Theater, adjacent to the former Victoria Inns along Highway 315 in Pittston Township, played X-rated films for a brief period of time in the 1970s. Can anyone substantiate this? Considering we live in a subdivision that abuts this parcel of land, it would have truly been "interesting" to be able to sit on our rooves and get an eyeful!
I'm starting to blush !!! I sound like an authority on X-ers !! Was that the
old 'Oakhill Drive-in' ??? Or in my day commonly called the 'Stroke-Hill' !!!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 PM

87 posts, read 165,167 times
I had no idea that there was a theater in Green Ridge. I looked a little online and found this list of Scranton theaters. Pretty cool and again with a few exceptions I had no clue.

Bell Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Bull's Head Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Capitol Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Center Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Endless Mountains Theater
Scranton, PA
Open

Family Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Favini Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Globe Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Grand Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Green Ridge Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Manhattan Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

New Rialto Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Orient Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Pine Brook Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

RCA Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Rialto Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

http://cinematreasures.org/images/theater/mini_photo.gif (broken link) Ritz Theatre
Scranton, PA
Open

Riviera Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Roosevelt Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

State Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed

Steamtown 8
Scranton, PA
Open

Strand Theatre
Scranton, PA
Closed/Demolished

Viewmont Mall Cinema
Scranton, PA
Closed/Demolished

West Side Theater

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM

26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Oh yes. Back in its heyday Scranton was America's Vaudeville capital.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
OMG.... The old Oak Hill Drive-In. Haven't thought about that place in years. Yes, it was often referred to as the 'Stoke Hill'. I went once when I was 18 (1980-1981)... went with my new husband and another couple... trying to act cool about it, but none of us were able to look cool for long and discomfort sent us home. Thanks for helping me to remember!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania