U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM

1,499 posts, read 2,256,694 times

Advertisements

in my area indicated in the pic attached....be aware.....this is located in Saylorsburg, PA 18353 zip code...
Attached Thumbnails
Bear sighting this morning....-bear_sighting.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:38 AM

4,134 posts, read 3,796,524 times
I saw a couple of squirrels this morning.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:54 AM

6,448 posts, read 8,068,756 times
In West Wyoming (PA) which is four miles from my house, we had a family - one Mama Bear and her three babies. They ate two dozen doughnuts from the porch next door to where my youngest son lives - the doughnuts were delivered by a group who had taken orders for them but since nobody was home and not wanting to make a return trip, they simply left them on the porch. lol

This is a populated area and traffic comes and goes all day. Sadly, Mama and the babies were all found dead in the church parking lot. Seems they had eaten some berries from a plant that is toxic to wild life.

This event occurred in the very recent past and while it wasn't comforting to know there were bears in the neighborhood, it was also sad that they couldn't have been captured and relocated.

One morning when I showed up for baby-sitting duty, I noticed a pile of scat on the lawn. Looked much like bunny poo but the amount was far too large for a small animal. When I stepped onto the porch, there were blood stains! I realized that it was probably a deer, (they have that type of feces) which had either been shot and wounded or struck by a car and was seeking some safe place to hide/recover.

We are in close proximity to the mountains and I have seen deer, bear and coyote in our neighborhoods. I don't know how to post a picture but we're just across the Susquehanna River from Wilkes-Barre if that helps.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:40 PM

40,826 posts, read 42,222,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In West Wyoming (PA) which is four miles from my house, we had a family - one Mama Bear and her three babies.
A few years back there was one up on Apple Tree Rd that would come around about every 3 weeks or so but she only had two cubs as AFAIK. Damn thing was after the garbage all the time and was constantly making a mess. I fixed it though, the garbage cans I have are from the 60's and very heavy duty galvanized steel. I put some heavy duty latches on the lids.

Sure enough I hear one get tipped over one night, I peak out the door and the damn thing is about 20 foot away rolling it down the sidewalk bouncing on it. One of the cubs went up about 40 feet in a nearby tree instantly, if it was chasing a squirrel I'm betting on the bear. I knew they could climb trees but I never would have thought they could move that fast up one. She finally gave up and that was last time I saw her.

I heven't seena lot of bear in my life but coincidentally just saw one the other day crossing the road while I was traveling 487 near Red rock.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:46 PM

15,274 posts, read 12,378,295 times
We went the first twenty years of living here in Swiftwater without ever seeing a bear. Our neighbors told us on several occasions that they had seen bear running over our property; but we did not see them. We were looking in a different direction or not looking at all. Then, about twenty years ago we started seeing bear. Not a lot of them; just one or mother and cubs once a year or ever few years apart. One time my wife had a large bear running right at her; but she got in the house before the bear. We did not feel that it was after her; we had apple trees on the other side of her and that is where it went.

About ten years ago we learned about our States tagging system. In Stroudsburg, around Dunkin' Donuts, our State captured a bear. They hauled it up to the Gouldsboro State Park and released it. One week later it was at our $85 (squirrel proof) bird feeder and we got very close up pictures of it out our window. Blowing the pictures up on the computer we could actually read the numbers on both ear tags that our State had placed in the ears of the bear. So I called up our Game Commission, told them the numbers and how we obtained them, and they gave us the history of the bear. Then told us how they transported it and where it came from. They also explained the 'system' of tagging. Once a bear is creating a problem and it is reported; they try to capture it in one of their large traps. They then tag and relocate it and they repeat that the second time they are called out on that bear. The third time they capture a 'problem' bear they will destroy that bear.

Our GC also told us that bear can smell a teaspoon of black oily sunflower seeds one mile away. We had immediately taken down our bird feeders after the bear left the area. It is illegal to feed bear in PA. It is not illegal to feed our deer; it is not encouraged and can lead to problems with bear coming in for the 'deer food' (then you could be charged with feeding bear). Feeding deer can also lead to charges of 'baiting' if you hunt and do not follow the restrictions of feeding deer.

Last night at about 3:00 AM I spotted an animal that could have been a bear. I did not get a good look and my feeling was that it was a coyote. It did act like a wild animal and not a dog. For now I will just list it as 'unknown'.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:10 AM

2,778 posts, read 3,085,242 times
Bear are common in the mountains around Scranton and sometimes drift into suburban and even urban yards. If you don't want them near your place start by: eliminating bird feeders; access to garbage and cans (to the extent possible); outdoor grills (they smell pork fat?); and the smell of and access to food of most any kind (including pets and livestock). It is said it helps to pray your neighbors down the road ignore these guidelines.

They occasionally break buildings in search of food. I have read of them opening canned food. They have an excellent sense of smell. They have even been known to eat shad and its roe.

It is said making noise helps to keep them away...mowers, radios, conversation etc. Maybe screaming too(?).

Don't mess with Mom and the kids who will be seen out and about now. Don't mess with Dad or Junior either.

Note that bears don't read well so all of the above is subject to them watching TV or the radio. There will be some bear stories there...it happens every year. I think bears are more common than ever in NEPA but it could also be that more people are living near their historic habitat and/or feeding them.

A good basic article here Living with Black Bears , plenty more info if you search.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 AM

40,826 posts, read 42,222,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
It is said making noise helps to keep them away...mowers, radios, conversation etc. Maybe screaming too(?).
I honestly don't think they care especially if they know there is food. When I said I had peaked out the door I had put the flood lights on and opened the door slightly. I was yelling a little, it barely even looked at me and just ignored me for th most part. Some firecrackers might of worked, I had the gun ready but wasn't going to go shooting in the air just to scare it off and I was enjoying the show anyway. She only gave up when she figured out she wasn't getting any food from the can.

The cub that was in the tree was older and I would suspect very near the age Mom was going to give it the boot, it was pretty big itself. After mom took off the damn cub didn't come down for about 20 minutes, it was crying for a while and I thought oh great... I have a crying bear stuck 40 feet in the tree. I didn't see it come down but I heard it, it came down almost as fast as it went up and by the time I looked out the door I only caught a glimpse of it it about 100 feet away heading into the woods.

If you are ever faced with an animal no matter what it is you need to face it, don't act aggressive but don't act like lunch either. Slowly back away. Bears attacking humans are super rare here in PA, if I recall correctly the last fatally was almost a century ago. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Be very wary though, there might be cub present you are unaware of and you certainly do not want to end up in the position of being between Mom and the cub that is off in the woods somewhere.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-04-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 PM

26,595 posts, read 25,274,788 times
Off masks the smell of almost anything. Lysol would probably work, too. In 2010, my nephew and I camped at a private campground just West of Ricketts Glen. The owner pointed us toward the better sites, but warned us that there had been frequent bear sightings.

I had about eight fireplace logs, but I knew that wasn't going to last long. He cursed me for making him pick up and drag wood in for an hour. I did too, but he didn't notice that.

After the tent was up and everything tidy, we went to the Western bar down the road for something to eat. There was happy hour entertainment and half price bar treats.

When we got back to camp, it was dark and quiet, but we had plenty of wood. The nephew complained because he couldn't get most of the Phillies game. Boo hoo. We burned some hot dogs and watched the fire.

Just about the time we were ready to crawl into the tent, we heard them. We could hear them walking and sniffing, snuffling. The only thing I had was two cans of Deep Woods Off. I sprayed everything, and they kept going. Nothing to eat here.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:17 AM

2,778 posts, read 3,085,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I honestly don't think they care especially if they know there is food. When I said I had peaked out the door I had put the flood lights on and opened the door slightly. I was yelling a little, it barely even looked at me and just ignored me for th most part. Some firecrackers might of worked, I had the gun ready but wasn't going to go shooting in the air just to scare it off and I was enjoying the show anyway. She only gave up when she figured out she wasn't getting any food from the can.

The cub that was in the tree was older and I would suspect very near the age Mom was going to give it the boot, it was pretty big itself. After mom took off the damn cub didn't come down for about 20 minutes, it was crying for a while and I thought oh great... I have a crying bear stuck 40 feet in the tree. I didn't see it come down but I heard it, it came down almost as fast as it went up and by the time I looked out the door I only caught a glimpse of it it about 100 feet away heading into the woods.

If you are ever faced with an animal no matter what it is you need to face it, don't act aggressive but don't act like lunch either. Slowly back away. Bears attacking humans are super rare here in PA, if I recall correctly the last fatally was almost a century ago. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Be very wary though, there might be cub present you are unaware of and you certainly do not want to end up in the position of being between Mom and the cub that is off in the woods somewhere.
Agree. The 'make noise' comment applies to instances when you're moving through the woods/road or working around the yard etc. If food is present and close to them obviously different rules apply, especially if they are used to feeding there/nearby (like a campsite?). The same (or more) if Mom an cubs are in the area noise (like yelling/waving) could be a perceived as a threat.

BUTT...I do recall an instance when a few guys chased a bear back from a big brown burlap bag of big Walleyes/Northerns by bolting toward it brashly bellowing and brandishing a big brown paddle (!!!!).

BTW, bears may be attracted by those little spinning pin wheels placed by the garden/yard to decorate and discourage birds etc.

As always YMMV and generally, general rules apply.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:55 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,528,986 times
Rhetorical Question;
Does a Bear Defecate in the woods?

or one better,
Does a NJ School Superintendent poop on a running track?
https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel...dly-poop-track
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania