U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM

703 posts, read 1,023,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Wait and see what happens if we get a democrat as the next president.
That would be largely moot, considering the Roberts Court's opinion in the Heller case is due this summer, and it's expected to further limit gun restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,092,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
In NEPA you need it? You haven't left this area much, have you? Even the high crime parts of the area are like "Leave it to Beaver" when compared to big cities and even other cities in PA like Harrisburg and Reading. Even South Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton are low crime when compared to big cities. Our idea of high crime really isn't that high when compared to the national average. There is nothing in NEPA that resembles Compton.
Ditto on Harrisburg, I was there for the Sysco food show and had a pack of kids throw rocks at my window as I passed through the bad section. Why do big cities have bad areas you have to go through to get in or out of town? I mean duh... set the section 8 away from the main street to the State Capitol. Even the major politicians have no choice but to follow through there.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,275,498 times
cracker is not an insult. But to live here is to see the people commiting the crimes. A big portion of my family are crackers...

Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 AM

30,123 posts, read 27,192,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Any other #1 reasons to move to NEPA besides the gun license?

yep IGA, i love their chocolate eclairs and the chicken with the bone suckin sauce.

enough of a reason for me

Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 AM

27 posts, read 46,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just think of it like all your other insurance you have that you may go a lifetime without needing but you have it anyway. what you choose to protect yourself or your family with should the need arise is very critical. a hangun of a fairly large caliber is the way to go. .357. .40 or .45
the popular 9mm is a poor choice believe it or not. its a military caliber by design. which means its better at wounding because of its shape and over penetrating design . the military likes wounding better than killing. it takes tremendous enemy resources to care for wounded and the wounded slow a unit down. you on the other hand may be dealing with a drug crazed psycho.

while you may think a shotgun or rifle would be best the truth is its a very poor choice. with very little training any one using levarage can have a long arm out of your hands faster then you know what happened when in close quarters. . with most situations happening in under 7 ft the spread of the shot is barely more than a rifle bullet causing you to have to carefuly aim.

in combat training we have whats called the 20 ft rule. as jl storm said ,,what that means is you can hit someone critically right in the heart and they will still live long enough to cover 20 ft and hack or stab you to death, not a comforting thought. so we were taught aim for the pelvic area , shattering the pelvic area usually makes it impossible to carry out any further attack as well as providing a big target. once your under panic your fine motor skills go bye bye once the pucker factor kicks in. if you think you can even tie your shoees when that happens your in for a surprise. .

remember its not about killing someone,its about stopping them. just hitting someone isnt what stops them,its the shock to the nervous system of the round staying contained in the body and transmitting its energy not the actual wound unless you hit a critical organ or they loose so much blood

thats why the choice of bullet is extremely important. to over penetrating and it goes in one side and out the other without disrupting the nervous system, to small a round and if the bad guys notices you shot him he may get very angry at you ha ha ha.. i myself like the magsafe and glasser saftey ammo. designed for the sky marshalls it can actually pass thru barricades yet wont over penetrate a coke can. its designed to fragment and break up when hitting the fluid in a body disapating its energy inside the bad guy as well as causing secondary wound channels adding to its effectivness. . no worry about it passing thru the bad guy and hitting a family member in another room, or a neighbor. at 6 bucks a round its very expensive but worth it
For home defense a mossberg 500 type 12 gauge pistol grip shotgun is the way to go. You can wake up out of a dead sleep and just fire into the direction of a perpetrator with a guaranteed hit. I dont think anyone is very proficient with a handgun being awoke out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night. Also the pyscholigical impact of just chambering a shell into the mossberg is enough to send most running.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 AM

if you ever patterned a shotgun at 6 or 7 feet the typical home defence distance you will see it barely has the spread of a 1/2 a pack of cigerettes. if you ever had to walk around the house with that long barrel odds are good a surprise grab from around a corner will have it out of your hands in a heart beat. not to mention the fact that is so over penetrating everyone around you is in danger. a shotgun for home defence is more a fallacy than useful. its the distance to the target and close quarters that make it a poorer choice than you would think. had quite a bit of combat training and this is a big red flag to be learned.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I both agree and disagree with MeatPuppet here (sorry to sound like John Kerry, the waffler who orders pancakes at the Waffle House!)

AGREE: I completely agree with his (or her) rationale that if law-abiding citizens had been carrying concealed weapons in Omaha, Tinley Park, Blacksburg, Littleton, Jonesboro, Springfield, Lancaster, Conyers, etc., then perhaps the assailants could have been disabled before they killed so many scores of innocent people, whether they were in an enclosed mall, Lane Bryant outlet, university campus, workplace, etc. I know that if I were sitting in a lecture hall at King's and some madman walked in with a machine gun, I'd first duck and then whip out my firearm and end his shooting spree with only very few wounded. If I were unarmed, all we'd pretty much be able to do would be to hide between the risers in the lecture hall and hope we weren't one of the "unlucky" ones to be shot at point-blank range before Wilkes-Barre police finally arrived (and given how few officers I see patrolling the streets in the Diamond City that might be a freakin' 20 minutes!)

DISAGREE: If you think crime in NEPA is "bad," then I suppose you've never been to Reading, York, Philadelphia, Camden, Allentown, Newark, Trenton, Compton, etc.? 99% of the violent crimes commited here are NOT random. In general if you're just walking down the street minding your own business you're not going to be the target of gang violence---why would a gang member want "the heat" after him (or her I suppose) just for the "thrill" of gunning down a pedestrian? If they truly DO enjoy doing that, then I'll give them my copy of Grand Theft Auto III.

Yes, Edwardsville is a dirty dump (I work here at night and have "experienced" the towns "pleasantness" and intellectually-enriched residents), but that is more the fault of the town's former brain-dead leaders for embracing the idea of so many low-income housing projects and Section 8 housing units in such close proximity to one another. Low-income housing in itself isn't the root of crime, but when you cluster it all together, the feelings of "despair" tend to accumulate, and drug activity becomes an "answer" to rise out of poverty. That drug activity then escalates to violence more often than not, hence why I work with women who are frightened of working in the garden center of my employer alone after dark. On the bright side though, if you want to buy a home dirt cheap, then Main Street in Edwardsville is the place to look!
Edwardsville is no where near the size of the population of the citys that you mentioned and the population to crime rate far exceeds any of those citys. How can you blame the town leaders for section-8 housing units when section-8 is approved by luzerne county not the specific towns?. Do you know about all the purse snatching/home invasions/car thefts/burglaries that occur in the edwardsville/kingston area??? What you read in the paper is about 25% of the actual incidents because they dont want to scare the residents. Edwardsville/Kingston is not a bad area, these are not professional theives, but to fuel the area's demand for heroin people are stealing to make a quick buck to get high.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you ever patterned a shotgun at 6 or 7 feet the typical home defence distance you will see it barely has the spread of a 1/2 a pack of cigerettes. if you ever had to walk around the house with that long barrel odds are good a surprise grab from around a corner will have it out of your hands in a heart beat. not to mention the fact that is so over penetrating everyone around you is in danger. a shotgun for home defence is more a fallacy than useful. its the distance to the target and close quarters that make it a poorer choice than you would think. had quite a bit of combat training and this is a big red flag to be learned.
Mossberg is about 24" long. How can a spread of 1/2 pack of cigarettes, as so you say, be over penetrating to endanger others????? You contradict yourself in every sentance.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 AM

no contradiction. a wad of shot at close range is fired at about 1250 ft per second. a .45 is about 850 ft per second. as e=mc2 tells us increasing the speed has devastating effects on increasing the impact. the concentration of shot at a 2" spread or so is more than enough to penterate not only the target but every sheet rock wall in the house and then spread out from there. .32 caliber can pierce walls like a knife in butter dont forget to be even remotely effective you need to use at least 00 BUCKSHOT. each shot is actually a .32 caliber size round its self. 24" long is incredibly long in tight quarters. anything sticking out more than a 6" barrell without extensive training and tactics is to long to be reliably not grabbed . for more info read the testing and research done by MARSHALL AND SNOW .they have the most extensive ballistic effectiveness studies compiled to date of tests and actuall shooting information all compliled into a data base

no one should ever own any firearm be it a shotgun , rifle or handgun unless they train and practice shooting it . its like owning a car and never driving except if an emergency happens

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-30-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 AM

coartist have you seen inmates passing along to each other various tactics for disarming? id imagine its elementry prison studies

how easy would you find it to take away a 24" barrelled weapon in close quarters from an untrained perp?

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-30-2008 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania