Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 67,042 times

Advertisements

for $25 you can get a permit and carry a handgun either in a holster outside your pants or inside your jacket. And believe me, in NEPA you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,942,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatPuppet View Post
for $25 you can get a permit and carry a handgun either in a holster outside your pants or inside your jacket. And believe me, in NEPA you need it.

In NEPA you need it? You haven't left this area much, have you? Even the high crime parts of the area are like "Leave it to Beaver" when compared to big cities and even other cities in PA like Harrisburg and Reading. Even South Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton are low crime when compared to big cities. Our idea of high crime really isn't that high when compared to the national average. There is nothing in NEPA that resembles Compton.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM

edwardsville pa, a town of under 5000 has had 4 shootings 2 resulting in death and over 100 drug arrests in 1 year??? thats way over usa average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
In NEPA you need it? You haven't left this area much, have you? Even the high crime parts of the area are like "Leave it to Beaver" when compared to big cities and even other cities in PA like Harrisburg and Reading. Even South Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton are low crime when compared to big cities. Our idea of high crime really isn't that high when compared to the national average. There is nothing in NEPA that resembles Compton.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,942,889 times
Quote:
edwardsville pa, a town of under 5000 has had 4 shootings 2 resulting in death and over 100 drug arrests in 1 year??? thats way over usa average.
If they got rid of that one nuisance bar, those stats wouldn't be so high. Anyways, most of the shootings here are druggies shooting other druggies. Most of these scumballs aren't just going around shooting random people....if you're not involved in drugs or other trouble, you're fine around here.

I live in the largest city in the region, and I've never felt unsafe, never been mugged, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,256,142 times
Default It's all B.S.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Well said Mr.Krabs. Wilkes-Barre, my hometown, continues to be be tarnished by it's bad reputation associated with so called "high crime". People I work with (from Scranton, Berwick ect.) often make comments like "you need to wear a bullet proof vest to live in W-B". The perception of W-B is of a big ghetto with daily shoot-outs in the streets, rampant drug use, and an overall dangerous place. This can't be father from the truth! The homicide rate in W-B for the entire year is equal to one weekend in Philly! People from outside W-B see all this negative stuff on the news, and think wow that's a real bad city! In reality it's a pretty safe city (there are good and bad neighborhoods, just like any other city) 99% of the crime is usually drug related, and is between drug dealers and users from out of town. So if you do not run with this type of crowd, you will be perfectly safe even in W-B's worse hoods. The local news media seems to only report negative news about W-B. And reports alot of positive news about Scranton (new buisnesses opening, The office convention ect.) this just adds to the perception that W-B is some wild, wild west town, and Scranton's a safe city with no problems. i don't think it's fair. I live one block from downtown W-B, and walk my dogs downtown (at night) all the time. And I never once have felt threatened, or in danger. but if you watch the news regulary, you'd swear you'd have to dodge bullets when walking through Wilkes-Barre!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Well said Mr.Krabs. Wilkes-Barre, my hometown, continues to be be tarnished by it's bad reputation associated with so called "high crime". People I work with (from Scranton, Berwick ect.) often make comments like "you need to wear a bullet proof vest to live in W-B". The perception of W-B is of a big ghetto with daily shoot-outs in the streets, rampant drug use, and an overall dangerous place. This can't be father from the truth! The homicide rate in W-B for the entire year is equal to one weekend in Philly! People from outside W-B see all this negative stuff on the news, and think wow that's a real bad city! In reality it's a pretty safe city (there are good and bad neighborhoods, just like any other city) 99% of the crime is usually drug related, and is between drug dealers and users from out of town. So if you do not run with this type of crowd, you will be perfectly safe even in W-B's worse hoods. The local news media seems to only report negative news about W-B. And reports alot of positive news about Scranton (new buisnesses opening, The office convention ect.) this just adds to the perception that W-B is some wild, wild west town, and Scranton's a safe city with no problems. i don't think it's fair. I live one block from downtown W-B, and walk my dogs downtown (at night) all the time. And I never once have felt threatened, or in danger. but if you watch the news regulary, you'd swear you'd have to dodge bullets when walking through Wilkes-Barre!
Im not arguing, I like wilkes barre but the population to crime index is very high. Sect 8 housing is the #1 problem.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,068,165 times
Quote:
Its actually over $30 in Lackawanna and its a concealed carry permit. As far as I have been told if you carry in plain view on the outside of the pants its not illegal and no permit is required but, you will be stopped and questioned. Once you enter a car with gun on the outside of your pants it is no longer considered in plain view and then you are required to have the conceal carry permit.

Check out this link PAFOA.

You need to understand the firearm laws of the county and the state in which you reside, do not blindly assume that you can just run out and buy a gun and carry on the outside of your pants.

This is not the wild west nor is it Newark so maybe a revision of your gun carry ideas might be in order before someone(namely yourself) gets hurt.

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, UNTRAINED AND INEXPERIECED PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM

703 posts, read 1,541,865 times
Quote:
Im not arguing, I like wilkes barre but the population to crime index is very high. Sect 8 housing is the #1 problem.
Arguably, the lack of additional police presence in Section 8 housing areas is the problem.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,302,676 times
Quote:
How many of those 4 shootings and 100 drug arrests involved guns with permits?

If you're gonna deal in drugs and shoot your competition if they look at you wrong, are you really going to care about making sure your gun is legal?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its actually over $30 in Lackawanna and its a concealed carry permit. As far as I have been told if you carry in plain view on the outside of the pants its not illegal and no permit is required but, you will be stopped and questioned. Once you enter a car with gun on the outside of your pants it is no longer considered in plain view and then you are required to have the conceal carry permit.

Check out this link PAFOA.

You need to understand the firearm laws of the county and the state in which you reside, do not blindly assume that you can just run out and buy a gun and carry on the outside of your pants.

This is not the wild west nor is it Newark so maybe a revision of your gun carry ideas might be in order before someone(namely yourself) gets hurt.

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, UNTRAINED AND INEXPERIECED PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.
You are right it is now $31. However, There is no such thing in Pennsylvania as a conceal carry permit. Its a LTCF(license to carry firearms). You can carry open holster or conceal, your choice. Its perfectly legal to walk through a mall with an open holster gun unless there is a sign at the entrance prohibiting that. You can open carry at church, walmart, bars and nightclubs unless they prohibit that, movies, golf course, arcades, you can open carry at chuck e cheese. You can walk around the whole town with an open holster gun, you CANT go to post office, court house, schools and any other place that is posted. Philadelphia has different laws so check that before you go there. Back the the original topic THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CCW IN PENNSYLVANIA ITS CALLED A LTCF! btw carrying in newark is a felony unless you are an active or permit carrying retired officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania