Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
When is this supposed to begin? unless i missed it in the link i don't see a start / completion dates.

I think it was scheduled for the beginning of 2018 or 2017? It obviously got put off like the tunnel bridge on Route 447 that is supposed to take maybe three years. I know they were having meetings about their plans; maybe they got cold feet when they realized they do not have a clue how to pull something like this off and not kill every business in the Poconos? I am sure somebody or someplace we might be able to see their new plans.

Here is a relatively new article about the plan: http://www.poconorecord.com/news/201...s-on-i-80-plan. Maybe my reading comprehension is off; but I did not see a start date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy456 View Post
Hello, I’m sure this has been spoken about many times on the forum. I’ve read a few posts on it but my situation and reasoning might be different. I’m currently looking to move to East Stroudsburg PA area from Ueens NY where I was born and raised. I work in NY with job sites changing from time to time. I’m a construction worker, 36yrs old not married and no kids. The commute is definitely the thought keeping me back, but it might be beneficial financially. I do plan on buying the house cash right out, and with taxes being between $4,500-$7,500 yearly. My cost of living will drop and I won’t have to work the OT for extra money. Hoping that I can work less and enjoy my life, plus I am getting tired of the NY area and city living and I have always loved the outdoors and outdoor activity. Who has made the change from NY to PA and still works in NY and has been doing the commute 5 days a week? What’s your opinion, how was the change/switch for you?

Note: I have occasionally worked 10-30min drive from home. But most work is in NYC Manhattan area witch is a small drive to MYA subway and ride on subway into nyc. Which can range from 40-60min in the AM and 50-80min in the PM returning home.
I own a place in Poconos, near Blakeslee. When my wife and I were looking for a vacation home in 2014 we started in Bushkill and ended up going further west until settled in a community near Blakeslee. We could not go any further because the commute from Brooklyn where we own a house was becoming much too long.
To your question whether it's possible commuting 5 days a week from NEPA to NYC I'd have to say no. Not without sacrificing your family, children if you have any.
Our arrangements are a bit different, we use our PA house as vacation home and visit there almost every weekend, there is plenty to do during winter too. During summer school brake my parents (who also leave in Brooklyn and retired) move full time with my kids to live in our vacation home. My wife and I only visit on w/e. We usually come Fri night and leave Su night, bringing weekly supply of food and whatnot. We found that certain food items like meats and deli are actually cheaper in Brooklyn than in the local Walmart store. So, we make the majority of purchases in NYC and only shop in PA for generic items like milk and cereal.
But back to commute question.
I did try and commute to NYC area during summer time when kids were living in PA with their grandparents. I thought I'd have more time with them this way. I was wrong.
I would usually wake up 3:30am to hit the road at 4 so I can avoid congestion on I80. I would street park in Jersey City with permit (yes, it's possible to purchase such permit) and then go to the office. But even early morning the drive from Blakeslee to JC is 2 hours. Then I'd stay in the office at least until 5pm and drive back to PA. If lucky, I would be home with kids by 7:30pm but normally it's 8pm+. Given that I'd have to wake up at 3:30am next morning I did not have that much time to spend with them anyway. So, after struggling like this for a couple of weeks I gave up.
More yet. I tried to commute on motorcycle. It's better because I'd split lanes and bypass that congestion on I80 between exists 43 to 25. But obviously there I was at mercy of the weather, and if it was raining I would not go between cars, and soaking in traffic under pouring rain sucks. So, motorcycling is actually an option to do for fun when weather permits.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,179 times
We don't live up here but we do a half/half commute from n.y. We go from Penn to Parsippany free Park and ride then drive to stroudsburg. Also depending on your situation you may find someone willing to rend a cheap room in n.y. especially if they travel to break it up.I do know people who do it.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 676 times
I moved to the Poconos thinking it was going to be easy and it isn’t. Being a parent in PA isn’t easy and I noticed teachers over reporting parents for child abuse in the state of PA. After the law changed in 2014 things aren’t going great. If you’re planning to move here teach your children that they need to be mindful of the things they say in school about your family. If a child says, “Am afraid of my mom/dad” to a teacher now with the new law teachers are mandated to report thar to CYA. If a child says, “my dad will smack me if I don’t listen in school”. Teachers will report that to CYA. It’s very crazy and please teach your children about confidentiality and not to share things that happened at home with their friends. You will have CYA knocking your door the next day. Be careful

Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianLusiferZapata View Post
I moved to the Poconos thinking it was going to be easy and it isn’t. Being a parent in PA isn’t easy and I noticed teachers over reporting parents for child abuse in the state of PA. After the law changed in 2014 things aren’t going great. If you’re planning to move here teach your children that they need to be mindful of the things they say in school about your family. If a child says, “Am afraid of my mom/dad” to a teacher now with the new law teachers are mandated to report thar to CYA. If a child says, “my dad will smack me if I don’t listen in school”. Teachers will report that to CYA. It’s very crazy and please teach your children about confidentiality and not to share things that happened at home with their friends. You will have CYA knocking your door the next day. Be careful
Frankly, this advice is absolutely, 100% assinine. All children should feel safe in their homes and a child expressing that they're not is a potentially dangerous situation. One that SHOULD be investigated, even if it is deemed unfounded.

It sounds like you've had contact with the system. Telling your children not to share things that happen in their home is extremely likely in those homes where abuse occurs.

And before you question my credentials, I have both a BS and an MA in Psychology, with my 3,000 hour practicum completed at the Bronx Child Advocacy Center (part of ACS). I saw it daily; kids being harmed and parent(s)/guardian(s) who absued and intimidated their children into not "telling". This is as nicely as I can state this without getting at the very least a temp ban here... GFY.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Removed spaces for easier reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania