Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,826,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
My word...still the pizza chat. Not surprised however. Why don't you folks agree on the best the area has to offer and then admit it just is crap to the places in NYC and Brooklyn and kill this thread for ever.
Probably because few people in NEPA are interested in NYC or its suburps...and especially what people eat there...well, except those who've moved from there.

Personally I think pepperoni pizza is pretty personal and people all have personal preferences.

Anyway, thanks for your witty suggestion and interest in NEPA and its pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Probably because few people in NEPA are interested in NYC or its suburps...and especially what people eat there...well, except those who've moved from there.

Personally I think pepperoni pizza is pretty personal and people all have personal preferences.

Anyway, thanks for your witty suggestion and interest in NEPA and its pizza.

One would really have to be a connoisseur to want to sit in traffic for four or more hours just to get a taste of NYC pizza! Of course maybe that's why America has a weight problem!

Our area does have its share of 'chef's' and pizza shop owners that have moved from the City to our neighborhood and opened restaurants. I have heard some people say that only the City has the right water to make pizza. Personally I don't think that argument holds water. There is a chance that altitude makes a difference for our restaurants on top of the mountain? However; the City does have more competition. So people do have more selection and there is a greater chance that a customer could find just their own special taste.

I thought Bennies did a real good job. I had half pepperoni and half kitchen sink; I liked the kitchen sink the best! I used to like the Pizza Hut's 'Supreme' before they went down the kitchen sink! I haven't had one of their pizzas since they served me a rancid sausage pizza 20 years ago! It only takes one mistake to loose a customer for life! I did go back to get my money back and return their product (it was a takeout); but I never returned after that.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:54 AM

1,929 posts, read 3,115,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One would really have to be a connoisseur to want to sit in traffic for four or more hours just to get a taste of NYC pizza! Of course maybe that's why America has a weight problem!

I used to like the Pizza Hut's 'Supreme' before they went down the kitchen sink! I haven't had one of their pizzas since they served me a rancid sausage pizza 20 years ago! It only takes one mistake to loose a customer for life! I did go back to get my money back and return their product (it was a takeout); but I never returned after that.

Couldn't agree with you more about the 2 points made in the first sentence. In reference to Pizza Hut I also agree that their Supreme was the best at one time....my wife especially enjoyed having that one and we loved having it at their Lehighton location and enjoying an afternoon out together but depending on the mood of the employee on duty that day it varies greatly. Since I'm not about to drive 4-5 hours to Brooklyn the best (for us) we've found that's worth having AT HOME is DiGiorno's Supreme....nothing like the ones in NY but better than not having any at all and we can cook it to our desired doneness....other than that as I've stated before I prefer brick oven pizza from Sorrenti's or from Anthony's in Wind Gap....was hoping to build my own brick pizza oven in the backyard but in June after 12 years I was told my services are no longer required so my priorities have changed somewhat....but I still hope to be able to someday have my own oven....

Old 10-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Couldn't agree with you more about the 2 points made in the first sentence. In reference to Pizza Hut I also agree that their Supreme was the best at one time....my wife especially enjoyed having that one and we loved having it at their Lehighton location and enjoying an afternoon out together but depending on the mood of the employee on duty that day it varies greatly. Since I'm not about to drive 4-5 hours to Brooklyn the best (for us) we've found that's worth having AT HOME is DiGiorno's Supreme....nothing like the ones in NY but better than not having any at all and we can cook it to our desired doneness....other than that as I've stated before I prefer brick oven pizza from Sorrenti's or from Anthony's in Wind Gap....was hoping to build my own brick pizza oven in the backyard but in June after 12 years I was told my services are no longer required so my priorities have changed somewhat....but I still hope to be able to someday have my own oven....

I was thinking of building a brick oven but I am a "Forged in Fire" fan it might run a little too hot!

Did you ever try one of the Daisy Bar's cheese stakes or pork barbeque sandwiches? The steak sandwiches are not the ones I had in Philly many years ago; but they do have a great taste and I love their barbeque sandwiches.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of building a brick oven but I am a "Forged in Fire" fan it might run a little too hot!

Did you ever try one of the Daisy Bar's cheese stakes or pork barbeque sandwiches? The steak sandwiches are not the ones I had in Philly many years ago; but they do have a great taste and I love their barbeque sandwiches.

In reference to Daisy's: not yet...with everything going on in our lives right now and me being told to hit the road after 12 years in June has put a damper on our eating out adventures....but hopefully one day....

As for the brick oven they're not that hard to build if you're ok with tools and DIY....the plans are available via Google for different types....

Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
In reference to Daisy's: not yet...with everything going on in our lives right now and me being told to hit the road after 12 years in June has put a damper on our eating out adventures....but hopefully one day....

As for the brick oven they're not that hard to build if you're ok with tools and DIY....the plans are available via Google for different types....

I'm just afraid my brick oven would look more like a forge!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'm just afraid my brick oven would look more like a forge!

then check out the ones sold by this company:

https://www.fornobravo.com/

when I can I just might get one of theirs if I don't go the DIY route....

Old 10-14-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
then check out the ones sold by this company:

https://www.fornobravo.com/

when I can I just might get one of theirs if I don't go the DIY route....

My problem is that I have to spend less time thinking about food. The idea of sweating over a forge is a lot better idea if it would not kill me! They are nice looking brick ovens!

I liked Benny's Pizza; but I have to stay away from foods I like until I start back to work if they will have me in January. Usually I can loose some serious weight at work; I treat it as an exercise program.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
My problem is that I have to spend less time thinking about food. The idea of sweating over a forge is a lot better idea if it would not kill me! They are nice looking brick ovens!

I liked Benny's Pizza; but I have to stay away from foods I like until I start back to work if they will have me in January. Usually I can loose some serious weight at work; I treat it as an exercise program.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 PM

57 posts, read 106,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
My word...still the pizza chat. Not surprised however. Why don't you folks agree on the best the area has to offer and then admit it just is crap to the places in NYC and Brooklyn and kill this thread for ever.
This kind of post makes me laugh just like the ones that say all chain restaurants are crap and all locally-owned ones are so much better. It's not nearly so black and white. You're kidding yourself if you think all NYC pizza joints are great. Some are, and some are crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania