Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,719,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
So they basically started him off at the bottom again? That hurts!

By the way, when you drive up towards the Pocono Raceway on the right, there is a large area filled with pipe to be installed someplace under the ground. I presume that it will be for gas or oil? That would not be something he does but closer to home? Just asking; I am always looking for opportunities in my community.
He’s actually top tier for the shop below the foreman. It’s just the going rate for PA he’s out of Consohocken. Up here the scale is even lower. NYC Teamsters make big money. Which enabled us to get the ducks in a row and allowed him to take the cut. His crew frequently works in south NJ. When they do, he draws NJ contract salary, which is not that much less than NYC. With OT and Jersey work he’s at about a 35% paycut for this year. Which certainly hurts a lot less than 75%.

I looked into company doing to work on 115. They require interstate travel throughout much of the northeast. He’s not interested in not being home for weeks on end. Can’t blame him. Same with the guys doing the work on 80, travel is a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
He’s actually top tier for the shop below the foreman. It’s just the going rate for PA he’s out of Consohocken. Up here the scale is even lower. NYC Teamsters make big money. Which enabled us to get the ducks in a row and allowed him to take the cut. His crew frequently works in south NJ. When they do, he draws NJ contract salary, which is not that much less than NYC. With OT and Jersey work he’s at about a 35% paycut for this year. Which certainly hurts a lot less than 75%.

I looked into company doing to work on 115. They require interstate travel throughout much of the northeast. He’s not interested in not being home for weeks on end. Can’t blame him. Same with the guys doing the work on 80, travel is a requirement.

35% sounds better than 75%! Working out of Conshohocken makes a quicker commute home than our of NYC by what about an hour or hour and a half?

Sorry the local job did not work!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
35% sounds better than 75%! Working out of Conshohocken makes a quicker commute home than our of NYC by what about an hour or hour and a half?

Sorry the local job did not work!
Here’s the thing, the base is low and there’s no guarantee from week to week of OT or Jersey work. We don’t treat that extra as salary. That’s filed away and not used in the budget. Distance wise it’s not a big difference but the commute is completely different.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Here’s the thing, the base is low and there’s no guarantee from week to week of OT or Jersey work. We don’t treat that extra as salary. That’s filed away and not used in the budget. Distance wise it’s not a big difference but the commute is completely different.

It has been a very long time since I used the Turnpike to Philly. When I went to college in Chester many years ago I always thought of that ride as the most boring drives in America. It is a monotonous drive and I would not be surprised if many did not fall asleep that have to use that everyday. It is a little better in a commercial truck because you sit higher and can see more. Of course the trip to NYC on I-80 is no cake walk.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,297,533 times
Default A New York state of mind

Quote:
From Philly it is easy to jump off the Northeastern extension of the turnpike in Carbon and western Monroe Co. Carbon County has cheaper school taxes. But, for NYC'ers, they come in on I-80 and it is just too much extra time to settle down that far out. Many NYC'ers want to settle as close to the NJ border as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We used to get the Mummers parade when I was a kid... until they took it away and started throwing NY programming at us. That was a long time ago. I don't know why any self respecting Pennsylvanian would want to watch a Giants game when the Eagles or Steelers are playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
MetLife Stadium is only an hour drive from Stroudsburg whereas Veterans Memorial Stadium is a two hour drive. It makes sense that there are more Giants and Jets fans in Monroe County since those are the two most local teams.
Reiterating what the others have said, nearly everybody I've met since living in Pike County relocated from New Jersey or New York... and I mean EVERYBODY. Philadelphia is a virtual ZERO here. I'm more likely to meet a distant transplant than a Philadelphian.

Lately, I've come to think of this as being more like a NYC suburb than many places in NWNJ!

Old 09-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Reiterating what the others have said, nearly everybody I've met since living in Pike County relocated from New Jersey or New York... and I mean EVERYBODY. Philadelphia is a virtual ZERO here. I'm more likely to meet a distant transplant than a Philadelphian.

Lately, I've come to think of this as being more like a NYC suburb than many places in NWNJ!

What has always surprised me is that the Mt Bethel area did not have major development for NYCers. It cuts time off the commute to jump across the River in Portland and be four miles into NJ when you start. That would be Northampton County.

Pike County can be a challenge for NYCers. You had years where our PennDOT messed around with that bypass. 209 can still get pretty congested; especially if you have an accident.

In Mt Pocono I see far more NYCers than I see people from Philly or even locals. Of course people do not wear nameplates: I'm Joe and a local (or wherever). Spanish is probably spoken more than English by the customers; but there are many languages spoken in the stores around Mt Pocono.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,235,049 times
We moved to Tobyhanna abut a year and a half ago. Just outside Mt. Pocono. Purely from our experience you would be hard pressed to find native local people, after that from Philly area. Majority are from NYC. Among younger couples with families, they still commute to NYC where the $$$ is.

You will get more diversity when it comes to retried couples. I am a retired Philly LEO. I retired from the Military in Virginia. Army Depot is here, so you get a lot of diversity from that.

My husband and I are originally from NYC, raised our children (where they now still live) on LI, moved to SW Florida for job, and retired here.

Interestingly, the VWF Post where my husband belongs to,subject of our move from Florida comes up a lot. The majority of the people there, wherever they are from (local, Philly, NYC) ALL say they could never live in Florida permanently.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It has been a very long time since I used the Turnpike to Philly. When I went to college in Chester many years ago I always thought of that ride as the most boring drives in America. It is a monotonous drive and I would not be surprised if many did not fall asleep that have to use that everyday. It is a little better in a commercial truck because you sit higher and can see more. Of course the trip to NYC on I-80 is no cake walk.
I drove down to Center City and back yesterday during AM and PM rush times. Despite the weather, the commute it's a cakewalk compared to 80!

Old 09-26-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I drove down to Center City and back yesterday during AM and PM rush times. Despite the weather, the commute it's a cakewalk compared to 80!

Although no where as bad as I-80 to NYC; you can still have plenty of traffic at key times and especially with an accident.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM

117 posts, read 147,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We moved to Tobyhanna abut a year and a half ago. Just outside Mt. Pocono. Purely from our experience you would be hard pressed to find native local people, after that from Philly area. Majority are from NYC. Among younger couples with families, they still commute to NYC where the $$$ is.

You will get more diversity when it comes to retried couples. I am a retired Philly LEO. I retired from the Military in Virginia. Army Depot is here, so you get a lot of diversity from that.

My husband and I are originally from NYC, raised our children (where they now still live) on LI, moved to SW Florida for job, and retired here.

Interestingly, the VWF Post where my husband belongs to,subject of our move from Florida comes up a lot. The majority of the people there, wherever they are from (local, Philly, NYC) ALL say they could never live in Florida permanently.
Do you find Tobyhanna a place that is good for raising a young family? Are there amenities (shopping/healthcare/entertainment) nearby? By that I mean within a 20 minute drive of Tobyhanna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania