Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Poconos a location that really welcomes new residents
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 PM

105,757 posts, read 107,736,740 times

Advertisements

we found we could live on about 1/3 less in the poconos then queens . but when i went to get a ball park on salary at a competitor in honesdale who is in my industry the pay way less then 1/2 . so we said forget that move ..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,878,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we found we could live on about 1/3 less in the poconos then queens . but when i went to get a ball park on salary at a competitor in honesdale who is in my industry the pay way less then 1/2 . so we said forget that move ..
I guess it depends on the industry? I make just as much here as I did in Philadelphia and the cost of living here is way less than in Philly. I own a home here that would have cost me 4 to 5 times more in Philadelphia. The traffic is also about 4 to 5 times less here and if I take a mountain back road it's like 10 times less. Just saying that it's Apples and Oranges, you can't really compare, each person is going to have a different experience just like the OP is saying they are having a cultural shock I saw none. I saw the different slangs and attitudes and just adjusted my own to fit what I saw and blended right in.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 PM

7,137 posts, read 3,963,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonaamaya View Post
I noticed my child is having issues adjusting too. Accidentally (she wasn’t trying to be cool) and thought in her seven year old mind that singing to her new friends the Empire song, “Snitch *****” was going to be cool. She had the most awful experience. Her teacher isolated her the entire day even during recess. I was shocked and am surprised. White People just doesn’t curse at all? My seven year old Latino child was punished for saying *****. That’s a female dog. Why she was isolated I don’t know.
I raised my kids in Queens. No NYC school is going to put up with your daughter's language or behavior.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 PM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
White people? How about just people? Of course many of them curse. Teach your child how to act and behave in situations--like school and church--where people are supposed to be polite and respectful.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:11 AM

105,757 posts, read 107,736,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I guess it depends on the industry? I make just as much here as I did in Philadelphia and the cost of living here is way less than in Philly. I own a home here that would have cost me 4 to 5 times more in Philadelphia. The traffic is also about 4 to 5 times less here and if I take a mountain back road it's like 10 times less. Just saying that it's Apples and Oranges, you can't really compare, each person is going to have a different experience just like the OP is saying they are having a cultural shock I saw none. I saw the different slangs and attitudes and just adjusted my own to fit what I saw and blended right in.

for us housing was a wash . that is because here in queens we have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment which fits our life well and no one lives with us . in pa we needed a 3000 square ft house since everyone stays over . in fact housing was a bit more in pa because of this fact . we have grown to 8 adults and 6 grand kids.

most holidays were all spent together there .

Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Quote:
I just can’t adapt to the people here. They misinterpret everything and take any NYC slang as an insult.I noticed my child is having issues adjusting too. Accidentally (she wasn’t trying to be cool) and thought in her seven year old mind that singing to her new friends the Empire song, “Snitch *****” was going to be cool. She had the most awful experience. Her teacher isolated her the entire day even during recess. I was shocked and am surprised. White People just doesn’t curse at all? My seven year old Latino child was punished for saying *****. That’s a female dog. Why she was isolated I don’t know. I have not been able to click and am afraid to take another job since I had issues with the first and that didn’t work at all. Too much of my Latino self just clashed. Don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should just go back to my NYC job or try to adjust

Here's the OP ^. Let's keep the discussion about her post and not dive into parenting advice please. It's perfectly acceptable to read and not post.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,826,527 times
Some people move from 'the city' partially hoping to escape 'the culture' for their kids and themselves.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM

7,939 posts, read 7,289,299 times
Quote:
Too much of my Latino self just clashed. Don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should just go back to my NYC job or try to adjust

There are plenty of Latino people in the Poconos. I hope you're able to make it to St. Luke's RC Church in Stroudsburg for the Three Kings Day this year. Meet some people and make some new friends.
Stroudsburg congregation celebrates Three Kings Day - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

And teach your daughter that just because she sees people on TV saying and doing things, that doesn't make it OK to say or do in real life.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,539,530 times
OP, what does any of what you said have to do with being Latino anyway?

Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
There are plenty of Latino people in the Poconos. I hope you're able to make it to St. Luke's RC Church in Stroudsburg for the Three Kings Day this year. Meet some people and make some new friends.
Stroudsburg congregation celebrates Three Kings Day - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

And teach your daughter that just because she sees people on TV saying and doing things, that doesn't make it OK to say or do in real life.
There are days at Shoprite and Walmart in Mt. Pocono where it is hard to hear any English!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania