Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Years ago I lost a friend to a similar accident on I-81 down in VA. I had waved to him under the street lights (it was night time) five minutes before he was literally cut in half by a flying tire off another commercial vehicle not too far behind me. The truck that lost the tire had just had the tire replaced at a truck stop fifteen minutes before. My friend never saw the tire coming at him in the dark.

So this woman bus driver and passengers were extremely lucky: https://wnep.com/2019/01/28/tire-sma...awanna-county/. When I drove truck I saw many loose tires rolling across our different interstate highways. It is very important for motorist to realize those tires could be lethal. For your own sake always try to avoid a collision with one of these flying dangers. I think I saw them towing this particular buss out of the Lowe's parking lot in Mt. Pocono; I have no idea why it was there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Wasn't flying tire but almost hit one the Turnpike, just after the tunnel heading north there is that tight left corner and you can't see very far down the road because of the divider. I'm n the passing lane doing like 65 or 70 and there was substainal piece of tire laying in the middle of the lane. The guy next to me moved over giving me enough room to get around it.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Wasn't flying tire but almost hit one the Turnpike, just after the tunnel heading north there is that tight left corner and you can't see very far down the road because of the divider. I'm n the passing lane doing like 65 or 70 and there was substainal piece of tire laying in the middle of the lane. The guy next to me moved over giving me enough room to get around it.
It's bad enough hitting the 'gator' (the thrown retread rubber from a truck tire). It usually weighs about 100 pounds and can damage cars that do not have a lot of clearance. I had a Corsica back in the 90's and hit an ICC bumper that had fallen off a large trailer. in the dark it was black, laying on black concrete on I-81 down by Pine Grove. It literally lifted the back end of my car off the road and all I could see were sparks flying. Then it left go and I pulled over to the side of the road. I expected all my engine fluid to be running out on the pavement; but I suffered no damage - very lucky!

One of the mounted large truck tires weighs about 200 to 300 pounds. Like the one that killed my friend; it was probably moving at about 65 mph and my friend was probably doing about the same speed. So it was like hitting the tire at 120 mph. Truck tires are really tough rubber and the rim is solid steel - they can inflict a lot of damage.

I also once saw what a little red sportscar looks like after it hit a set of tandems, that had come out the back of a trailer, at 85 mph. There was not a lot left of the car or driver. That year I saw three different accidents or the aftermath of the accidents that happened because drivers did not lock the tandems when the slid the set for weight distribution. It pays to never tailgate a large truck! Many drivers are not aware of all the dangers on our roads.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Two tires! They were lucky.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I ran over an alligator going around a curve on Rt. 81 in Virginia. I was in the right lane, being passed by two cars, and there was quite a bit of debris on the shoulder. Thankfully, I managed to stay in my lane.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:18 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i-380 is the road gloria estefan was on , in the bus crash .

Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i-380 is the road gloria estefan was on , in the bus crash .
We have many commuters from Scranton to Monroe and from Monroe to the Scranton/WB area everyday. That road goes through some of our highest terrain and is sometimes subject to snow squalls and white outs from even lake effect snows from Lake Erie. It can also be very foggy when the temperatures start to rise.

On the other hand, even though it can be dangerous, it is a scenic drive; just like PA's section of I-84. I used to drive both from Tannersville to the New England states because of the commercial truck restrictions on Route 209. At least those roads are not boring. Many with four wheel and all wheel drive get themselves in trouble going too fast for conditions. Drivers have to keep in mind that, just because you can go, does not mean you can stop.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:06 AM

lots of that road passes through low points and freezes easily . it has always been a dangerous road .

Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lots of that road passes through low points and freezes easily . it has always been a dangerous road .
All roads are dangerous! I-84 is no cake walk! There are many accidents on I-81. I used to hate drive on I-476 between Allentown and Norristown because the road is boring! There are many ways to have accidents. I wish that all new drivers could have a chance like we did as kids and practice in slippery parking lots and driving on frozen lakes - but that will never happen. I do see that they have skid car training with attachable metal/hydraulic frames: https://www.deschutes.org/administra...idcar-training. I do not know if we have that training in our area?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM

the problem is front wheel drive cars are very different then rear wheel . if a rear wheel car skids , just ease up on the gas and steer in the direction of the skid ..if you have the room , easy peezy .....

front wheel drive cars have the wrong instructions in the manuals .. you need to manipulate the brake and gas together . it takes a lot of skill . once the car gets away in front wheel drive it is a mother to get back again .

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAN GET YOU KILLED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania