U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM

26,091 posts, read 45,366,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
This isn't Canada or North Dakota or even Buffalo for that matter. You do not need a 4 wheel drive in NE PA just for winter weather. I drive a Honda sedan and do just fine in winter weather driving 20 miles to work every day. Unless you have 5 kids or do some heavy hauling, I see no need for an SUV unless you like selling your soul to the devil just to fill up your gas tank.
I get along just fine as well with my front-wheel drive Ford Contour, but I know a lot of people around here feel "safer" with an SUV. Perhaps a Ford Escape Hybrid might be an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM

2,938 posts, read 907,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLhereIcome View Post
I love my Ford Escape. I've had it 7 years and still have not had to make any repairs other than the usual items (brakes, rotors, tires). It now has high mileage and I'm considering replacing it with a Kia Sorento. I've never owned a Sorento, but have driven one and they seem to have good reviews and they start at under $20,000.
Don't buy a Kia...its the sister company of Hyundai. Hyundai translated to English means "crap." I'm personally not an SUV fan...but I would recommend a Honda CR-V. I know a lot of people with CR-V's, including the new design that came out last year, and they love them....very good on gas for an SUV. And you can't beat Honda's reliability record.

Hondas may cost a couple of grand more than Hyundai/Kia, but Hondas have very high resale value, while Hyundais and Kias depreciate probably faster than any other make of car. You'll more than make up the maybe $2,000 difference in price when you go to sell or trade the vehicle someday. Plus, with the Honda, you'll see a lot less of your mechanic than you will with a Kia/Hyundai.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 AM

28,702 posts, read 24,636,152 times
Quote:
This isn't Canada or North Dakota or even Buffalo for that matter. You do not need a 4 wheel drive in NE PA just for winter weather. I drive a Honda sedan and do just fine in winter weather driving 20 miles to work every day. Unless you have 5 kids or do some heavy hauling, I see no need for an SUV unless you like selling your soul to the devil just to fill up your gas tank.

all i can say is i have had both front wheel drive vehicles and 4x4's for over 15 years now. in bad weather there is no comparison. even rain in awd is light years apart. no fish tailing when hitting puddles on the highway. parking in snow piles, stability , all are sooooo much better in awd or 4x4. except for stopping there is nothing that isnt so noticibly better. tell ya what you can stay with your front wheel drive but id never go back.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,678,389 times
Just bought a Honda CRV - which was just rated as number one. Don't like SUV's but feel they are a necessity in this area - with weather, deer and bear. Plus, if you do highway driving I feel that safety is important.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM

4,177 posts, read 6,970,055 times
We have a honda odessy and its great. It cannot be stolen either ; at least It cannot be broken into (without breaking the glass).

We have driven it around nepa and it was great.

d

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 AM

41 posts, read 61,093 times
I forgot to mention driving in the rain is also a little cumbersome; when I was there, it rained 80% of the time, and it is difficult to see in front of my car on the highway because of all the SUV's on the road.

Thanks for all of the ideas and photos; you guys/gals are awesome; thanks!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 AM

999 posts, read 2,166,877 times
Quote:
A 4x4 or AWD is not a necessity if you live in the city and only drive on city streets and highways, but if you live in a rural area, you will be much happier knowing that you can get out if you need to. Small cars and minivans just don't cut it when there's 8-12 inches of snow on the ground.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 AM

426 posts, read 842,816 times
Having had a few bad experiences with the Mazda 3 in NEPA, we're going with a 09 Subaru Forester before next winter. People we know that have Subarus cannot say enough good things about them. They are supposedly great in snow, rain, mud, etc. Plus the fact that all their models are AWD is a plus. No waiting for the 4WD to kick in when needed.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM

999 posts, read 2,166,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I get along just fine as well with my front-wheel drive Ford Contour, but I know a lot of people around here feel "safer" with an SUV. Perhaps a Ford Escape Hybrid might be an option?
I'm not sure if anyone else has experience with the Escape Hybrids, but we just had friends that traded theirs because their mileage was steadily declining till it dropped down to around 20 MPG. It was repeatedly taken in for service, but the problem was never resolved. Another friend has a regular Ford Escape for the past 6 or 7 years and has no problems with it.

JMO, but I think the "safer" feeling in an SUV comes from sitting up higher and having better visibility.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 PM

910 posts, read 1,968,947 times
I've had many subarus, 2 since moving to PA. I currently have a Nissan Rogue and it's great, small suv, great gas mileage as far as suvs go, and just the right size. HOWEVER, if I had the choice, I'd go back to my subaru forester in a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania