Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM

41 posts, read 94,671 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am back with another important question. When I was up in NEPA with my Grand Prix, I realsized that is not the way to go with the rain and snow and hills.

Therefore, I must now pose this question:
Which is the least expensive to buy AND repair SUV for me to drive in Hills & Snow in PA?

I am not into keeping up any type of show and tell for onlookers to be impressed, so please don't mention Mercedes, Lexus, BMW...been there, done that, worked to say, wow, look what I have. I am more down to earth these days thank goodness for my pocket anyway.

Personnally, if I never had to purchase another car as long as I live that would be just fine: right now I have my car, my fiance's, my two sons and I gave my brother a cluncker that I stil pay for...argh...anyway, as you can see, I am a little strapped in the car category, but I will never make it in NEPA with my car.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,008 times
Four-wheel drive is nice to have, but you could easily get by with all-wheel depending on how much you absolutely need to be out and about on snowy days. If you have a driveway that may not be plowed, a smaller SUV might be your best bet.

As far as which SUV is the best, you'll probably get a different opinion on that from everyone on this forum. One of the better rated SUV's is the Ford Explorer and you should have no trouble finding a used one at a decent price. My mom just traded hers in on a Santa Fe and is now kicking herself cause she hates how cheaply made the Santa Fe is.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:12 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i really liked my nissan xterra. if you have alot of rough back country roads id go with that. in fact if bmw dosnt have another great lease deal again on the x3 id take another xterra ..... now i have a bmw x3, totaly different class. a great bad weather vehicle but on paved roads. stay away from alot of the crossovers like the murano that advertise themselves as all wheel drive but they are really just an assist if a wheel slips. we ended up pushing my sons out of our driveway new years eve weekend.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Have you considered an AWD Subaru, such as a Forester or TriBeCa? My mother drives a Forester and loves it. My next-door neighbor used to drive one before he traded it in for a BMW.

TriBeCa (Image Taken From TruckTrend.Com)

Forester (Image Taken From AutoSpectator.Com)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Giving Copyright Credit

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,323 times
I think NE PA is Subaru land...I have been behind so many of them in the past year that I've been here...lol...

We have a Toyota Tacoma p/u which has been awesome in any kind of snow that we've driven in. We have NEVER gotten stuck. I know you said SUV so maybe the Toyota 4Runner?

I would love a Toyota Sequoia but like the Mercedes or BMW...it's way out of budget for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 PM

104 posts, read 435,417 times
I love my Ford Escape. I've had it 7 years and still have not had to make any repairs other than the usual items (brakes, rotors, tires). It now has high mileage and I'm considering replacing it with a Kia Sorento. I've never owned a Sorento, but have driven one and they seem to have good reviews and they start at under $20,000.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLhereIcome View Post
I love my Ford Escape. I've had it 7 years and still have not had to make any repairs other than the usual items (brakes, rotors, tires). It now has high mileage and I'm considering replacing it with a Kia Sorento. I've never owned a Sorento, but have driven one and they seem to have good reviews and they start at under $20,000.
My partner's mother drives a Sorrento, and she likes it. Best of luck with your new purchase.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,256,207 times
Default Toyota Tacoma

ff18wife, is your Toyota Tacoma a 4x4 or 4x2. I was wondering because you mentioned that it's good in snow.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7micheller View Post
Hello everyone,

I am back with another important question. When I was up in NEPA with my Grand Prix, I realsized that is not the way to go with the rain and snow and hills.

Therefore, I must now pose this question:
Which is the least expensive to buy AND repair SUV for me to drive in Hills & Snow in PA?

I am not into keeping up any type of show and tell for onlookers to be impressed, so please don't mention Mercedes, Lexus, BMW...been there, done that, worked to say, wow, look what I have. I am more down to earth these days thank goodness for my pocket anyway.

Personnally, if I never had to purchase another car as long as I live that would be just fine: right now I have my car, my fiance's, my two sons and I gave my brother a cluncker that I stil pay for...argh...anyway, as you can see, I am a little strapped in the car category, but I will never make it in NEPA with my car.

Thanks in advance.
I have a Grand Prix too..with the supercharger..it's AWFUL in the snow. I will be needing to trade it in before next winter for an SUV too...so, thanks for bringing this up!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
This isn't Canada or North Dakota or even Buffalo for that matter. You do not need a 4 wheel drive in NE PA just for winter weather. I drive a Honda sedan and do just fine in winter weather driving 20 miles to work every day. Unless you have 5 kids or do some heavy hauling, I see no need for an SUV unless you like selling your soul to the devil just to fill up your gas tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania