Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:46 AM

4 posts, read 14,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrynk View Post
I guess I am looking for some info on the family genealogy for the Kowalski's that own the Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke, PA? I want to be able to show if there is any relationships to the Rynkiewicz/Renkiewicz surname as I am a direct descendant to this surname. Please feel free to contact me at if you can provide me with any insight to the family connection and also I would love to see any photographs of family that anyone maybe able to produce.

Happy Holidays and best wishes

John J. Rynkiewicz
--------------
Kowalski's..I'm Wallenda's sister. I grew up with Kowalski's. His father died in a huge mine accident when I was in and he was in..I think fifth grade.

Renkewicz..YES...

My father is friend with Renkewicz. I think maybe my Bro may have helped you (I'm talking about FlyingWallenda..or whatever his nic is. he flies planes..our last name is so similar to Wallenda..people used to joke with me about being a Wallenda)

Sanitary Bakery..Oh my goodness..LOVED it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
Wasn't Nick Adams (Johnny Yuma) of the TV western 'The Rebel' a native of Nanticoke? or 'Nanny-coke' as we called it?

I used to thing in the theme song that Johhny Cash sang 'Johnny, your ma was a rebel'

We used to go to Harvey's Lake after mass on Sunday at SS Peter and Pauls church in Plains...
A special trip was to Tobyhanna where I literally wet my 'dungarees' on the 'rollycoaster' as we called it there.

We also used to swim and catch crayfish in the stream behind what is now 'The Woodlands'....does anybody know the name of that stream?

I know this is a 'nannycoke' thread but does anyone remember fishing at 'Big Dam' and little Dam?
----------
He was a "native" of Mocanaqua..Shickshinny area..but close to Nanticoke.

Harvey's Lake..Oh Yeah..I used to go there sometimes with a band..can't remember the name at the moment..but I'd take a GF and we'd go out there. I was restricted as to timing. OH..TNT..that was their name.

Woodlands..that's Wilkes Barre. I can't think of a stream behind it.

Never say nannycoke..please..it is NanTIcoke!

My dad and my bro (Wallenda) used to fish at Sylvan Lake. My ancestors had a place there..wanted to buy it but had no money!

What memories..huh?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBear View Post
If there was one town that makes me want to jump in a time machine and travel back 50 years to a simpler, more innocent time ... Nanticoke is that town. That's where my mom's side of the family was. I had cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents and great-grandparents there. Today there are a vanishing few older relatives who can still lapse into conversational Ukrainian once in a while, but when I was a child it was VERY common to hear Polish and Ukrainian spoken frequently in conversation. My grandpa was a coal miner, and my grandma worked for a while at the old McGregor clothing factory on East Washington Street. Although I spent most of my childhood years in the Washington DC area, visiting my grandparents in Nanticoke was always something to look forward to.

My mother's maiden name was Patricia J. Petrash. She graduated from Nanticoke High School in 1954 and later attended Wilkes College before getting married to John Anziulewicz, my dad. My mom's parents were Walter and Anna Petrash, and when I was just a toddler they lived on Hanover Street (I think 614) directly across from the Stegura Funeral Home; their old house is still there. At the corner of Hanover and Ridge Streets, where the Walting dental practice is now located, there actually used to be an old grocery store run by an old man named Jack, and whenever we were visiting my grandparents, my grandpa would give me and my little sister a few coins, and we would run down to Jack's grocery to buy candy. This was back in the early 1960s.

On Church Street there's Larry's Pizza, which I believe is currently managed by the son of the original owner, Larry Carns. What many people in Nanticoke today may not know is that the pizzaria was originally located on Hanover Street, and I remember seeing Larry Carns and his son (who was probably a few years older than me) working down there whenever my grandparents would send me down to pick up a pizza order. I stopped by Larry's Pizza on Church Street several years ago, and honestly the smell and taste of that pizza has not changed a SINGLE BIT over 45 years. The next time I visit Nanticoke, hopefully in the next few years, I'm going to make a pilgrimage to Larry's Pizza.

Some people on these forums have mentioned the old Leader Store in downtown Nanticoke. I remember going there with my mom on a couple of occasions, and I was always utterly fascinated by the network of humming motorized cables that were strung throughout the store, connecting checkout stations to the business office: Receipts and other will business statements and envelopes would be attached to a cable and OFF it would fly to another part of the store! That must've been the epitome of high technology back in the 1960s.

Going down the hill from my grandparent's house to West Side Park was always a lot of fun. There was one piece of playground equipment that had to be one of the coolest, most dangerous pieces of playground equipment ever invented. My cousins called it a bar-bell, but it was really a tilting version of a merry-go-round, apparently known as a "Witch's Hat." I found this photo of the exact sort of ride I'm taking about:

Yes, there actually WAS one of these great rides at West Side Park, way back in the day. But like so many other wonderful pieces of playground equipment like swings and teeter-totters, it was ultimately removed, probably because some careless kid got bruised or chipped a tooth.

My grandparents, as well as many of my other relatives, attended St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church located at the corner of Hanover and Green Streets. At the time the mass was sung entirely in Ukrainian, with the choir singing "Hospodi Pomiloi" (Lord Have Mercy) up in the loft. Women sat on the left, and the men to the right. The altar was flanked by large statues of Mary and Joseph, both of whom had green neon tube halos! There was the lingering smell of incense, the big metal rack of red votive candles at the back the church, and on special holy days teams of old women in babushkas would be down in the church basement, turning out pierogies by the thousands! Sadly, the church closed a number of years ago, but it's still there:

Of course, ANYONE in Nanticoke over a CERTAIN age has fond memories of Sans Souci Park. I think it was probably the first amusement park I ever went to, and for any child it was sheer HEAVEN. There were great classic old rides like the Tumble Bug, Bearcat Roller Coaster, and the utterly terrifying Wild Mouse, which looked like it was held together with little more than chickenwire and spit. I have actually seen wooden horses of Sans Souci's carousel up for sale online (if you want to spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars). The Bearcat was the first rolller coaster I ever rode, probably when I was all of seven or eight years old, and I remember keeping my eyes closed for MOST of the time!

Sometime in the 1970s my grandparents moved from Hanover Street to a smaller house at the corner of South Walnut and East Grand Street. Then in 1981 my dear beloved grandpa, Walter Petrash Sr., died rather suddenly: He was was working in his garden, suffered a ruptured aorta, and died on the operating table just hours later. It was very sad. My grandma, Anna Petrash, passed away back around 2003, I believe. My mother's sister, Sonia Marshall, died just a couple of years ago after a long battle with cancer. But my parents are still alive, and my mother's brother, Walter Petrash Jr. (who went to WOODSTOCK!), lives with his wife Barbara in Wilkes Barre.

Sometime in the next few years I'm going to drive up to Nanticoke, spend the day walking around town, taking pictures, and I'll go to Larry's Pizza for dinner. I'm 51 years old now, and if I don't do this soon, I'm afraid I never will.

Best wishes to all of you!
----------
San Souci? OH my lord. It was a treat. My family wasn't rich but those days up there with NANCY..were fantastic.

You walk up there..I'm a few years ahead of you. I'm going back next week..and I kind of hope I'll stay there. I know it's not the best area for jobs, etc. but you sure can't shake your roots..heck..I want to Hang on to THem.

Looking back..I should have never left there..never gotten my MM or JD or half PhD..just stayed there.

I love Stanky..now do you know them? I played with them over the years..stayed with them..what a Great Family.

But my best family ..my DAD..grew up in Nanticoke/Alden. You can't beat that. I'd like to see some TV show really do a decent show about that. NEVER.. they wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-19-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmusiker View Post
----------
He was a "native" of Mocanaqua..Shickshinny area..but close to Nanticoke.

Harvey's Lake..Oh Yeah..I used to go there sometimes with a band..can't remember the name at the moment..but I'd take a GF and we'd go out there. I was restricted as to timing. OH..TNT..that was their name.

Woodlands..that's Wilkes Barre. I can't think of a stream behind it.

Never say nannycoke..please..it is NanTIcoke!

My dad and my bro (Wallenda) used to fish at Sylvan Lake. My ancestors had a place there..wanted to buy it but had no money!

What memories..huh?
My grandmother used to say nany-cook. I'll say it if I want to.

I remember TNT. They played at my high school a number of times.

http://www.pahouse.com/pashinski/

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,680 times
Hi, my name is Katherine Lee Blair and I am the granddaughter of Daniel and Emily Mae Lee. My father, Walter Lee, was their son. His siblings were Emily (Emiline) who married Andy Pennela, Ethel May, who married Bernie Ford, and Clarence (Red) Lee who was married to Helen - I only know her maiden name was Ukranian. Ethel and Red stayed in Nanticoke. My dad married Kathryn Harvey who was also from Nanticoke. My parents, aunts and uncles are all deceased. They were wonderful salt of the earth, hardworking, amazing people. I am very grateful to know that someone remembered them. It touched me deeply. Thank you!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times
I have been trying to find photos of the old state theatre, Main St. Nanticoke. As I searched online, I noticed that many of the buildings from my childhood have been torn down. Doesn't Nanticoke know that these historical buildings are the brick and mortar that keeps up connected to our happy youth times and brings us back home time and again. What I wouldn't give to have an ice cream soda at Diamonds Candy Store, see a show at the State Theatre and go to a dance at the old High School, or shop for sneakers at Woolworths...Darn it! I want to watch that money container travel through the Leader store(?) store again.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
Wasn't Nick Adams (Johnny Yuma) of the TV western 'The Rebel' a native of Nanticoke? or 'Nanny-coke' as we called it?
Nick Adams was born Nicholas Adamshock, the son of Peter and Catherine Adamshock, who lived for many years in the "Avenues" section of West Berwick.

His family moved considerably before and during his early childhood -- his mother worked, for some time, in the AT&T "switching center" in Newark, N. J, which preceded the present facility in Bedminster -- but I cannot provide his actual birthplace.

Before and after his success in The Rebel, Nick had a number of well-remembered supporting roles in feature films, most notably as Andy Griffifth's sidekick in No Time for Sergeants, but also Picnic, Hell is for Heroes, and The FBI Story. At one time,he shared an apartment with a young actor named Dennis Hopper.

After his career peaked, Nick went to Japan, where he held a prominent role in at least one sci-fi film.

Nick had a reputation as a very likable person off-screen, but he also had a very severe problem with alcohol. and reportedly died from a mismanaged overdosage of what was commonly called "Antabuse", which produces severe nausea and other reactions when liquor is subsequently ingested.

Nick Adams died in the winter of 1968, and is buried in St.Marys' Cemetery in Briar Creek Township, just to the northwest of the Borough of Berwick. His tombstone reads "Star of The Rebel".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-24-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times
Dont forget about st. Mary, s polish bazaars with french fries with vinegar and eating butter soaked parogies. And how about the Deep Hole in west Nanticoke on the way to Moon Lake Park. It seems so small from once when I was a child there Until HURRICANE AGNESS hit and left mud and no businesses. Prior to that it was a wonderful place to grow up. I'm now 51 in live in Philadelphia it does not compare to Nanticoke Pennsylvania as a child.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,555 times
Default Answer to your questions about Nanticoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHESS30188 View Post
I have many fond memories of visiting my grandparents home in Nanticoke but I was so young and unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to anything other than the corner candy store.
I'm hoping that from my recollection someone can tell me what corner it was that I always walked to from their house....does any of this sound familiar to anyone??
They lived on Broad St. somewhere and if I walked a very short way I came to a brick firehall building on the corner of the next street. On the opposite corner was a park but we weren't allowed to cross the road.
If you rounded the corner by that fire dept. building there was a little store that sold candy, comic books, soft drinks, etc. as well as other grocery items and newspapers. I'm still looking through old photos and hope to find an envelope or something with my grandma's address on it but i am so curious to know where this is!
Also, someone here may remember my grandfather, Stanley Wasilewski. He taught at the high school for 20 or so years in the late 20's or early 30's maybe and then went to teach at Bucknell college in 1945. He was a mathematics professor and was the one who built the scale model of the college that was on display in the area. I did find an article about a fire that destroyed his office at Bucknell.
His brother, Charles, or, as I knew him "Uncle Charlie" also had a store that sold a myriad of things. My only memory of him is that he owned "Uncle Charlie's Store", and I'm sure that wasn't the actual name of it! lol
If anyone has any ideas about any of this
I love researching old Nanticoke but I'm afraid I've hit a brick wall!
Thanks very much!

The streets were Broad and Prospect, the store was Ralph's (run by Ralph Vandermark) and "Uncle Charlie's" was Charlie's Market. Charlie opened the store at the ripe old age of 14. The "park" was actually a block away - the address of Cecilia and Stanley Wasilewski was 215 East Broad Street. I cannot tell who you are by your questions but ... I'm their son, John.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinwalenda View Post
That is WNAK !

Also remember going with my Mom to the department store that is now the senior center across from Burger King(Carroll's). I think it was the Lazarus store. I was fascinated by the network they had to send orders & bills . It was an air tube sending the canister flying around and I think they had a series of lines on pulleys where they would attach slips and send them upstairs. I would always stand there while my Mom shopped watching those things work.
Used to go to the Theater a lot,think I saw the Towering Inferno there. When in Scouting I used to go see nature movies there.
The candy store by the square.
A pool hall by the square and the bowling alley further up.
A pizza place just down from the square that was popular in the 70's. Can't remember the name.
My barber was there across the street from the United Penn bank.
Wollworths store and many more when the downtown was flourishing.
The candy shop was probably Diamond's Candy Kitchen.
The pol hall was The Smoke Shop
and Stuccio's (sp?) was the pizza place.

Not sure about the barber - one was Gerry German and another was Manny Panella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania