U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltjam View Post
What do you know about "Concrete City", my daughter is doing a research article on the subject and she trying to locate someone to interview
This is probably very late for a response but I just read your query tonight. "Concrete City" was a set of houses/apartments built and owned by the "mine owners" for the purpose of housing miners. They were held there almost as indentured laborers (much of their pay went for rent) and the "Company" also owned the store. The buildings were unpainted concrete, very hard to heat, impossible to cool (in the Summer) and VERY, VERY wet all the time. So many people became ill from living there that it was eventually closed by the many complaints of local doctors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM

I knew a Joseph Boyle because he went to St. Francis schools with me and he also sold Sunday papers at the park in Nanticoke.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM

2,853 posts, read 3,295,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaz View Post
This is probably very late for a response but I just read your query tonight. "Concrete City" was a set of houses/apartments built and owned by the "mine owners" for the purpose of housing miners. They were held there almost as indentured laborers (much of their pay went for rent) and the "Company" also owned the store. The buildings were unpainted concrete, very hard to heat, impossible to cool (in the Summer) and VERY, VERY wet all the time. So many people became ill from living there that it was eventually closed by the many complaints of local doctors.
Sounds probable. This method of 'keeping'/housing and paying workers was common throughout the coal industry in 'The Valley'...wood buildings were more commonly used. It sounds like someone tried to go 'out of the box' using concrete suppliers/contractors or their own equipment (maybe while making a breaker etc) to save money or build quicker etc, and it proved to be a bad (worse?) solution than the wooden "incubators" of the day. Life wasn't very easy back then anywhere in The Valley.

There are many nice sites on this rather grim historical topic/period. You might find something close to home for you. I assume you've done some searching too. Here is an example site with some good links (posted as much for those who unfamiliar with the genre). There are many others...Google is your friend.

If you enjoy the topic and want some real insight into NEPA origins and how some is still reflected in even today's culture (especially among the elders) they are informative to read. Introduction: The Old Country in the New World

Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Default You're my Uncle John

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaz View Post
The streets were Broad and Prospect, the store was Ralph's (run by Ralph Vandermark) and "Uncle Charlie's" was Charlie's Market. Charlie opened the store at the ripe old age of 14. The "park" was actually a block away - the address of Cecilia and Stanley Wasilewski was 215 East Broad Street. I cannot tell who you are by your questions but ... I'm their son, John.
So interesting that you found my post! This is Debbie....the curly headed one. Ha ha. Thank you so much for all the information! I was making the drive from Atlanta to New York and couldn't cruise past Nanticoke and Wilkes Barre without wandering around the area. I went to the Sanitary Bakery for poppyseed bread and to the Park Market for fresh sausage! What a trip back in time that was!

So nice to read your post! Thank you! I will take any other info you have....so interesting. Take Care!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Default Debbie ...

I suspected it was you! How are you? My email is johnw@Memphis.edu write to me.

I haven't spilled my soup in years and years!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 971 times
Default Stop and Go Concrete City & San Souci

Go to:
[url=http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jaschr71/SanSouci/]Sans Souci Pictures Page[/url]
and ride the Tumble Bug again! Ha Ha!

San Souci Park was great! I remember playing and exploring Concrete City and picking fox grapes there with my cousin Jimmy.

I loved the Stop and Go burgers! They were the first burgers I ever had! Anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that went in there afterwards? They were great too (Just sorry to see Stop and Go..go) After visiting Texas with my brother this was real Mexican food! I don't remember the name.. I think it was just something like "Mexican Restaurant" or something.

Anyone remember Angela Park? They had a great train ride too. How about Ghost Town in the Glen? Before that it was Rocky Glen park. Or the Nay Aug Park Zoo? IT is a great thing you can still get Victory Pig (Old Forge stlye) pizza! Unique to PA! There are recipes on YouTube now, and Bakery Delight in Plains sells a great cook book also with a recipe I tweaked quite a bit to make a poofier Sicilian version of Victory Pig pizza!

Anyone remember the skating place in Edwardsville that became a Blockbuster video? What was the name of that skating place? I learned to skate there (and with those nasty all metal skate key, one size fits all) and on our sidewalks.

How about 2 and 3 for a penny candy? 10 cent and 15 cent comics? A quarter made you a king back then! I loved Green's store in Hudson (The best Mom & Pop Candy Store!)!

What was your favorite candy store? What do you remember about it?

I do remember Carol's in Edwardsville. The burgers were great! Why is it that the fries were so much better back then.. Oh, yeah, lard.. oh well.. I remember putting the giant box of lard into the McDonald's fryer back then, when the apple pies were the best and bubbly-crispy and could burn your mouth like molten lave.. ahh.. but the taste.. liquid apple goo!

So who wants to jump in Stewie's time machine and buy some Harvey comics and some penny candy? We may just ride our bikes all day..

No CDs, DVDs, VCRs, Cassettes, Cable, Internet.. and yet between the bordom.. it was the best!

What do I miss the most besides the comics and sweets? PINBALL!!! I still LOVE Pinball!! Drop targets like Royal Flush and Pop a Card.. and all the 70s and 80s tables too! I even love the old Bagatelle where it all started. Visit VPIN Forums and set yourself up to remember some pinball!

Think I'll just go and make some Kaluski! (Grated potato dumplings fried with bacon and onions!)
Cheers to you all!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
I grew up in nanticoke 50and 60's. I remember my parents not having a car and we walked everywhere . Downtown to Woolworths and bought our shoes at Peoples. My mom went shopping at Worths and she always took me to the Jr. department store. We would get our groceries at the Acme and get out fish for Friday's dinner at Galley's seafood store on west church street. Sausage was made at Kielesa's on west union. Popsicles were 5 ¢ at her store. Home made perogies were bought from Sarneski bottom of Union street.We could sleigh ride down the streets or go to the dirt banks at the bottom of ridge street. We could play in the streets and stay out after dark with no worries. Calling your friends meant you went to there house no phone and yelled, can Suzie or Johnnie come out to play. Nanticoke was a great place to grow up. It is so sad to see the down town area now. Very few stores. The college and Geisenger occupy most of the buildings but without them it would be a ghost town. When I was a child we used to roller skate in the park and the water fountain was always on. We would fly kites in Kelly's field. We had Two movie theaters the Rex was in the park and the State theatre on main street, 25¢ for a show ticket. I stood in line two hours to see ole yeller once. I could go on and on about the great town of Nanticoke. I may not live there now but it will always be my home. No one can ever take away the memories

Old Today, 03:24 PM

1 posts
I working on my Wasilewski family genealogy and ran across the 1900 census and there was a Charles Wasilewski had a store at 37 South Market St, would be about a block and a half down from Broad st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania