Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 11:04 PM

47 posts, read 40,263 times

Advertisements

1. Would you use a realtor for searching, or just use Zillow/realtor.com?
2. Do you know of any communities in the Poconos that do not permit Air B&B / VRBO etc (I understand a rule on paper and what actually is enforced are two separate things - I’ll start with at least that rule in place.)
3. What are the 3 most well regarded communities in your opinion?

We are looking for a vacation property that we can use year round as an upgrade from Eagle Lake in Gouldsboro . HOA rules, fees, etc do not deter us as we prefer the added bonus of year round security when we can’t visit.

Thanks for your help and the discussion?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: removed realtor ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 08:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,093,019 times
My recommendation is Hemlock Farms in Pike County.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:20 AM

48 posts, read 57,526 times
Hi, we're doing the same search. We just put in an offer to a place in Stillwater Estates 15% ABOVE asking price (where the realtor told us that this would have gone for 10% BELOW asking price pre-COVID) and we still lost out.

So I guess full disclosure, you and I are competing for the same properties! That's ok though, maybe I can help you anyway.

As best I can tell, all of the properties charge SOMETHING for short-term/airbnb rentals, but figuring out those numbers can be difficult. Arrowhead charges you $35 or $40 per rental I think, Indian Mountain Lakes charges you $50, Stillwater charges you $75. From looking at local airbnb listings, those fees are charged to the customers and the market doesn't seem to mind (there were literally zero rentals available this weekend, for instance). Gated communities will be harder to skirt than non-gated ones, but as I'm learning in this search there are differences in levels of "gatedness" if you will. Arrowhead is like a fortress; Stillwater just has the one well-meaning, pleasant security guard. Towamensing Trails simply has a "no trespassing" sign. YMMV.

Lake Naomi/Timber Trails is actively trying to stop short-term rentals - I don't think this will succeed personally, but it was enough to steer me away from there (as was their $10k buy-in and their $3-4k annual dues).

I don't believe we are allowed to recommend realtors on here. I have one I work with up there and I like him, but I can't post it here.

I have a spreadsheet outlining some of these different communities. I posted it once on here, but the formatting was terrible. Let me know if you want it.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 AM

1,929 posts, read 3,116,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914golfer View Post
2. Do you know of any communities in the Poconos that do not permit Air B&B / VRBO etc (I understand a rule on paper and what actually is enforced are two separate things - I’ll start with at least that rule in place.)

This should answer that question:

https://www.thetimes-tribune.com/new...5fc9f670e.html

Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
We just put in an offer to a place in Stillwater Estates 15% ABOVE asking price....

Why would you do that in a buyers market?? I'm guessing because you really wanted the property but 15% is just way too generous in my opinion even if you can afford it. Like I said right now its a buyers market because some people that are selling is because they're about to lose the property or are just looking to leave the area. Take advantage of that but don't undercut them also. Price it reasonably. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 07-20-2020, 12:55 PM

48 posts, read 57,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Why would you do that in a buyers market?? I'm guessing because you really wanted the property but 15% is just way too generous in my opinion even if you can afford it. Like I said right now its a buyers market because some people that are selling is because they're about to lose the property or are just looking to leave the area. Take advantage of that but don't undercut them also. Price it reasonably. Just my 2 cents.....
I don't mean to be snarky, but it is no way, shape, or form a buyer's market in the Poconos right now. Maybe it was pre-COVID, but it is decidedly not any longer. It is the definition of a sellers market right now, as homes are lasting no more than three or four days, and some are even hitting the MLS pending. It speaks volumes that we offered 15% above asking and still lost the bid.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
I don't mean to be snarky, but it is no way, shape, or form a buyer's market in the Poconos right now. Maybe it was pre-COVID, but it is decidedly not any longer. It is the definition of a sellers market right now, as homes are lasting no more than three or four days, and some are even hitting the MLS pending. It speaks volumes that we offered 15% above asking and still lost the bid.

not snarky at all, tw....a valid response....but I still say it's a buyers market since homes are selling quickly as you because I'm sure many of the homes being bought were close to foreclosure and the sellers are happy to take what they can just to get it over with and leave...your point also applies as well as there are also some cases where the seller has the upper hand considering they know some people (especially city slickers) are desperate to get out of the city and into the woods....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania