Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:00 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But then we have nature to watch instead of somebody spray painting our vehicles.
What happened? Couldn't think of anything nastier, or dumber to say?

Fact is, many of the private Pocono communities have very high crime rates, and you know it. I once lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in a decaying northeast city, and never had a problem. I spent thirty years building in the Poconos, and every year or two I was on the phone to the cops (typically the utterly useless PSP) to deal with a break-in, vandalism, or illegal dumping at a construction site, or private home.

Sad to think that you find the world outside your yard to be so dangerous that spray painting is to be expected. Might want to pull away from the TV and stop watch faux news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 12:40 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
I am in the city all my life and never had a car spray painted or keyed

Old 07-30-2020, 02:01 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
What happened? Couldn't think of anything nastier, or dumber to say?

Fact is, many of the private Pocono communities have very high crime rates, and you know it. I once lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in a decaying northeast city, and never had a problem. I spent thirty years building in the Poconos, and every year or two I was on the phone to the cops (typically the utterly useless PSP) to deal with a break-in, vandalism, or illegal dumping at a construction site, or private home.

Sad to think that you find the world outside your yard to be so dangerous that spray painting is to be expected. Might want to pull away from the TV and stop watch faux news.
It all depends on where you buy and don't tell me that there are not bad areas in your City! One section of a neighborhood does not represent our whole community. We can point out bad areas of your cities and say the same thing.

Right now houses are selling quick in the Poconos. People that have had trouble in the past are now selling. You are behind the times and you still put down our area. Whatever bad taste you have in your mouth from our area it is because of the personal choices you made. I haven't had one thing stolen in the 45 years I have lived where I am at now.

I used to drive to all the big cities. I have been in most late at night and I have seen the problems you had and it doesn't sound better today. I am not unhappy where I live and I know plenty of people that also like their locations. The two of you cannot wait to say the next negative thing about our area and you don't live here anymore. You don't see the changes that I see. You are not commenting on this thread, your using it to push your own agenda: Don't buy here because you have to clean the gutters and do chores (give me a break).

Old 07-30-2020, 02:28 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
I don't live in a city. The Poconos have not become Shangri-La because the real estate market is temporarily hot. We are in a recession, which is clearing the worst one since the great depression. The Pocono real estate market will collapse in a year or two, since that's what always happens. The country catches a cold, the Pocono economy falls over dead, ever time, I lived there for the last three cycles of that nonsense, I KNOW how it works. As for "personal choices I've made" when it comes to being the victim of theft, vandalism and illegal dumping on my properties, all over the Pocono region, only your twisted reality could possibly make sense of that. When it comes to seeing the changes? We end up in the Poconos at least once a year to visit friends. Without fail, the wife looks at me as we are heading south on the turnpike and says, "so, do you miss it" and we both agree that little changes, and there is no compelling reason to return.

If your happy great. Stop selling the shtick that it's heaven, and drop the assumptions that everybody else lives in a ghetto since they don't have turkeys and whitetails in the yard.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I don't live in a city. The Poconos have not become Shangri-La because the real estate market is temporarily hot. We are in a recession, which is clearing the worst one since the great depression. The Pocono real estate market will collapse in a year or two, since that's what always happens. The country catches a cold, the Pocono economy falls over dead, ever time, I lived there for the last three cycles of that nonsense, I KNOW how it works. As for "personal choices I've made" when it comes to being the victim of theft, vandalism and illegal dumping on my properties, all over the Pocono region, only your twisted reality could possibly make sense of that. When it comes to seeing the changes? We end up in the Poconos at least once a year to visit friends. Without fail, the wife looks at me as we are heading south on the turnpike and says, "so, do you miss it" and we both agree that little changes, and there is no compelling reason to return.

If your happy great. Stop selling the shtick that it's heaven, and drop the assumptions that everybody else lives in a ghetto since they don't have turkeys and whitetails in the yard.
I can drive for less than an hour and have all the deer and turkey I want to see ...I don’t need to live with them

Old 07-30-2020, 02:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It all depends on where you buy and don't tell me that there are not bad areas in your City! One section of a neighborhood does not represent our whole community. We can point out bad areas of your cities and say the same thing.

Right now houses are selling quick in the Poconos. People that have had trouble in the past are now selling. You are behind the times and you still put down our area. Whatever bad taste you have in your mouth from our area it is because of the personal choices you made. I haven't had one thing stolen in the 45 years I have lived where I am at now.

I used to drive to all the big cities. I have been in most late at night and I have seen the problems you had and it doesn't sound better today. I am not unhappy where I live and I know plenty of people that also like their locations. The two of you cannot wait to say the next negative thing about our area and you don't live here anymore. You don't see the changes that I see. You are not commenting on this thread, your using it to push your own agenda: Don't buy here because you have to clean the gutters and do chores (give me a break).
Very true. As I said on another post, our neighbor (vacation home) has been trying to sell for 2 years. He sold it last week with 4 offers, and at the price he wanted. If year round people, my guess is that they are probably from NY.

This coronavirus changes everything. If people are working from home online, they can live anywhere, especially if the COL is cheaper. Will all these jobs go back in person? Who knows. A friend's son lives and works in Manhattan. He said that his building ($5,000/month rent) is now only 40% occupied. The City is still very much deserted and shut down. Why pay all that money to do NOTHING? We here in the Poconos are just about all opened. I can tell you that all the NY/NJ plates are back on roads and parking lots.

Husband is 71 and has Parkinsons. Still does work around the house. Snowblows BIG driveway in Winter. We do have somebody mow our law but he could buy a riding mower if he would get rid of his junk in the 2 car garage. We have had someone come in to fix a leaky roof but who would want to do that themselves especially with a high ranch? He still climbs on a ladder to winterize 12 sunroom screens a good 6 feet off the ground. Worked as a Jet Engine Mechanic in Nam and very good doing electrical work. Plumbing? Little me gets under the kitchen sink and he directs me what to do. lol

Honesdale is nice (great German restaurant), but bit more rural than we are in Tobyhanna 10 miles from Mt. Pocono and maybe 20 miles from Stroudsburg and 30 from Scranton.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 51,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicavz View Post
My boyfriend wants to buy a house in Poconos, the prices are very low so that's we can pay now, but I keep wondering if it's a good area for us, both 25 years old. He says he's going to found a job there, but I don't know. We went there to look some houses and it's seems so empty... The winter is so long, is this a good idea? We`re looking in Poconos area, Honesdale, Lake Ariel, we also looked some communities as Arrowhead Lake and a community in Blakeslee. Is that a good area to live and get a job?
Lived there for over 20 years both full time and part time. Winters - 2 of them in a row allowed me to move South. I lived in Milford, Lake Ariel and Tafton and that was over 10 years ago. I asked friends about coming back and they said the school and property taxes are off the charts. People have told me things changed.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSurfer29 View Post
Lived there for over 20 years both full time and part time. Winters - 2 of them in a row allowed me to move South. I lived in Milford, Lake Ariel and Tafton and that was over 10 years ago. I asked friends about coming back and they said the school and property taxes are off the charts. People have told me things changed.
We were in Tafton in tanglwood north ,sold in 2012

Old 07-31-2020, 12:40 PM

566 posts, read 592,259 times
Angelica,
If you and your boyfriend are already coming from tiny town where there isn't much to do,
then you might very well be comfortable in Northeast Pennsylvania. Very little stimulation for 25 year olds.
Perhaps a better fit might be Port Jervis, just a toe over the Pennsylvania border where you can catch a train
and escape to NYC for day tripging. There were (pre-Covid) summer fairs from town to town, but other than
that you'll really have to hunt and drive a distance to find something to do. If you were retirement age there
might be more redeeming qualities of living out here, but if I were 25 again and I knew what I know now I'd
be moving to Virginia or North Carolina (not in big cities where it will co$t more) but small cities or big towns.
Look at alternatives so there are more choices.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 PM

63 posts, read 46,188 times
To the OP:

You're young. Come live in NYC. Rent is coming down. It's quite COVID-19 safe now.

YOLO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania