U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for a few months, trying to do my due diligence on a potential secondary residence purchase in NE Pennsylvania. I've wanted a camp home for a long time -- used to aim for upstate NY, but in the past year or two I have decided I like the Poconos a lot, even more so now that I am planning on a probably 50/50 split of my time between the area and Brooklyn.

I'm mostly looking along 80 and 84, as I'd like to be able to get back to Brooklyn in no more than 2 and a half hours even with traffic. I expect to make the trip in one direction or the other every couple of weeks.

I'm leaning toward community living. Don't really care if gated or not. I've really liked Hemlock Farms, but the "right home" hasn't popped up there, and the HOA fees are high. I did not like Wild Acres as much.

I've liked Arrowhead, but the lots are tiny. Same with Locust Lakes. I'll be seeing a place in Emerald Lakes and a few other neighborhoods this weekend.

I have trawled the forums for community info, and have not found anything on the following places:

Pocono Farms
Stillwater lakes
Penn Estates
Pine Creek Estates
Timber Hill

Any advice on these would be appreciated. I'm not certain I want to be as far East as those last few. The lower elevation is not as inviting to me, but a bit closer to NYC is also a bonus, and I love the Del Water Gap area for outdoor activity (and for breweries!).

I've also considered Lackawaxen, up near Masthope, but I think it's just outside of the range I want to be driving regularly.

### Questionairre responses

When are you moving?
Whenever I can, hopefully before winter.

Where are you coming from?

Brooklyn

Why are you moving?

Need a nature side to my life. Outdoors, open space.

Where will you be working?
Telecommute

Have you been here yet?
Camping trips and day trips in the past year+

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
No kids, schools aren't a concern, no pets (at the moment), I like yards, would love to garden, have car. I like both the activity and the calm.

What do you want to be closest to?

Nature. Hiking, Camping, Birding, Fishing.

Favorite beverage?
Good beer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM

17,774 posts, read 14,059,877 times
I just want to point out the obvious. The farther you get from the NJ line the longer the commute. That is less time that you will have to enjoy nature. Also, right now, it is a seller's market. Some properties are going for more than the appraisal price. If this was happing on the stock market most would advise you not to buy right now.

Many of us recommend vacationing or renting before one buys. That way you get a 'feel' for the area. One thing to also consider is that I-80 is supposed to start a lane expansion project shortly. I used to be a trucker and I paid close attention to how the different states worked on their roads. What I can tell you is that our local highway shed is one of the most incompetent in the whole Country. No one takes as long to plan and execute a project like they do. If you buy on the Western side of our County there is a good chance you will have to deal with that project when they start the work. It will add time to your commute. Stillwater Estates and Pocono Farms would normally use I-80 to commute back to the city. You could take Route 940 to Route 191 and bypass any I-80 work - but everybody else will have the same idea.

Just do your homework and do not be too quick to buy at all cost. I would rather have a happy neighbor than one that hates the area.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,504,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn2nepa View Post
Stillwater lakes

If you want to feel like you're back in Brooklyn (or any city for that matter) with all the rudeness and big city attitudes then this place is for you....anytime I have to drive there to see my nephew I feel like throwing up because of that....I, and many others, came out here years ago (24 for me) to get away from that type of environment but now with everyone escaping NY and the boroughs because of the virus they've brought that BS with them out here....so glad I don't have to live anywhere in that area of Mt. Pocono, Tannersville, Stroudsburg, E. Stroudsburg, and the areas around there....

Last edited by DavidWebb; 10-11-2020 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: corrections made

Old 10-11-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
If you want to feel like you're back in Brooklyn (or any city for that matter) with all the rudeness and big city attitudes then this place is for you....anytime I have to drive there to see my nephew I feel like throwing up because of that....I, and many others, came out here years ago (24 for me) to get away from that type of environment but now with everyone escaping NY and the boroughs because of the virus they've brought that BS with them out here....so glad I don't have to live anywhere in that area of Mt. Pocono, Tannersville, Stroudsburg, E. Stroudsburg, and the areas around there....
As I have stated before; I like my Swiftwater area. But I am not commuting to the city. From Tannersville the traffic can be crazy; especially if I-80 has an accident. I can quickly go to Mt. Pocono to shop without any hassle or delays. I have friends in Stillwater and have never had any problems; but it only takes a few bad neighbors to put a different perspective on your experience.

As far as the OP's question: How long does it take to drive from where you are located to the Delaware Water Gap Bridge? There are developments close to Kesgeville and Jonas that take even longer to get to the Bridge. Any wasted time on the road takes away from the 'experience' that one has living in our area. Developments like Pocono Farms and Locust Lake take even longer. If Route 80 is down to a crawl it takes a lot of time from my area to get to the Bridge. But there is a back way to go there; providing everybody else does not go that direction!

Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 AM

1,947 posts, read 1,932,772 times
You will nearly NEVER get from the Poconos to Brooklyn in 2 hours- even without traffic. Believe me, I drive into the Bronx regularly for work. Rarely do I get to my desk in under 2 hours, when I do it's because I was on the road at 4am.

You can sit at the GWB or one of the tunnels for two hours, never mind the rest of your commute.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
You will nearly NEVER get from the Poconos to Brooklyn in 2 hours- even without traffic. Believe me, I drive into the Bronx regularly for work. Rarely do I get to my desk in under 2 hours, when I do it's because I was on the road at 4am.

You can sit at the GWB or one of the tunnels for two hours, never mind the rest of your commute.
How long does it take you just to get to the Bridge from roughly where you live? I just don't think that many consider the traffic and roads in our County. Heck it has taken me an hour just to go one mile and a half miles south on Route 611 from Home Depot to the Stroud Mall! Of course it is all about the time of the day, road work, and which direction you are headed.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM

1,947 posts, read 1,932,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How long does it take you just to get to the Bridge from roughly where you live? I just don't think that many consider the traffic and roads in our County. Heck it has taken me an hour just to go one mile and a half miles south on Route 611 from Home Depot to the Stroud Mall! Of course it is all about the time of the day, road work, and which direction you are headed.
It mainly depends on the traffic on 80 thru Jersey. I'm 45 miles from the Water Gap. Discounting that travel time, once I cross into Jersey it's generally 2 hours from the Water Gap to the bridge from about 6-7am. There are often slowdowns and traffic due to volume/sun glare on 80 in the mornings plus waits to cross the bridge. If there is even a minor accident there's a good 30 minutes or more added onto that 2 hours. After 7 am, it's easily 3 hours from the Jersey line to the bridge. Then probably 45-60 minutes to cross the bridge and drive the 5 miles on the Cross Bronx to my job.

And this is why

1- I will not commute every day
2- When I do need to drive in I leave no later than 5:15am for a 9am arrival (and cross fingers that I am on time)

Old 10-16-2020, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,533 times
Thanks so much for the replies, everyone. Some very helpful information, especially regarding impending construction on the I-80 corridor.

To clarify, I will _not_ be commuting daily, or even regularly. I plan to make the trip between Brooklyn and the Poconos maybe once or twice a month round trip. I definitly would not expect 2 hours and change during rush hour, but I've had good luck making the drive in both the late morning and in the late evening, which I expect will be my pattern.

With regard to renting before buying, I am fairly convinced on the area. It reminds me of my old stomping grounds _way_ up in the north country of the Adirondacks. Ideally, I'd be looking up there, but a 6+ hour drive to get back to Brooklyn makes that unteneble.

Thanks again for all the input! Hoping to be calling many of you neighbors in the coming months.

Best regards!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
It mainly depends on the traffic on 80 thru Jersey. I'm 45 miles from the Water Gap. Discounting that travel time, once I cross into Jersey it's generally 2 hours from the Water Gap to the bridge from about 6-7am. There are often slowdowns and traffic due to volume/sun glare on 80 in the mornings plus waits to cross the bridge. If there is even a minor accident there's a good 30 minutes or more added onto that 2 hours. After 7 am, it's easily 3 hours from the Jersey line to the bridge. Then probably 45-60 minutes to cross the bridge and drive the 5 miles on the Cross Bronx to my job.

And this is why

1- I will not commute every day
2- When I do need to drive in I leave no later than 5:15am for a 9am arrival (and cross fingers that I am on time)
It has been many years since I drove into the City. I used to know the slowdown points. But then there is a chance they have expanded the lanes in the last 20 years? I know that you could expect to crawl to the GW Bridge. I think and my memory is foggy, that around the 17 and 28 mile markers you could expect the traffic to come to a stop? But, since you still do the commute from time to time, maybe you can tell others when to expect the slowdowns?

Thank you for the other information! I am sure it helped some on here.

Twenty or thirty years ago many were sold on the idea of the train coming to our area. But that was a pipe dream or one rumor started by our developers. It was enough to get many to buy in the area thinking they would not have to wait long; they are still waiting and I expect that to never happen.

It is just best that people moving to our area have their eyes open and do not have unrealistic expectations. We want you to like us and not hate us.

Good luck to the OP and I hope you get what you want!

Old 10-16-2020, 03:01 PM

85,770 posts, read 83,257,557 times
It took us exactly 2 hours to get from queens to pike county ....we never took the Gw bridge ...only the hutch to the sprain ,to 287 to thruway ...then route 17 to 84
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania