Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

In this morning's Scranton Times-Tribune there was an interesting albeit alarming article that highlighted the continued struggles that the Abington Heights School District, located in the affluent suburban area immediately northwest of Scranton, is having with substance abuse. This year alone more than 18 district students have entered treatment for substance abuse, and in February a recent graduate of Abington Heights died of a heroin overdose.

I'm not here to point fingers, but it's refreshing to see that what was once viewed as merely a problem with "city folks" is finally permeating through the cores of affluence and social class. Usually the people who are in the best position to tackle a social justice issue like substance abuse are those who have the financial means to lobby politicians for stricter regulations, tougher enforcement, etc., and now that the upper-class parts of our area are also becoming drug-infested perhaps we can FINALLY get our drug pandemic in NEPA under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
There's just as much of a problem with drugs in the affluent areas as there is in the working class areas, if not more. The rich kids are the ones with the money to buy drugs....which is why there are big drug problems in schools like Abington Heights and Scranton Prep. Also, the rich areas tend to have families with two parents who are wrapped up in their careers as doctors, lawyers, etc....leaving their kids with a lot of disposable income and little supervision...which is a recipe for disaster.

Everyone automatically assumes that drugs are only a city and/or poor-people problem. WRONG.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
There's just as much of a problem with drugs in the affluent areas as there is in the working class areas, if not more. The rich kids are the ones with the money to buy drugs....which is why there are big drug problems in schools like Abington Heights and Scranton Prep. Also, the rich areas tend to have families with two parents who are wrapped up in their careers as doctors, lawyers, etc....leaving their kids with a lot of disposable income and little supervision...which is a recipe for disaster.
Here's a direct quote from Abington Heights superintendent Dr. Michael Mahon:

Dr. Mahon also countered the myth that Abington Heights is struggling with a drug problem because it is an affluent district. “You can get a dose of heroin cheaper than you can buy a bottle at the state store,” he said. “It’s not a problem of affluence. It’s a matter of access.”

I would have to say that Dr. Mahon has this logic misinterpreted. Most people don't think Abington Heights has a greater problem with substance abuse because it is an affluent district. I don't for one second think that being wealthy gives one more of an opportunity to try heroin than being working-class, as Dr. Mahon even admits that a dose of heroin is cheaper than a bottle of alcohol.

What most critics, including myself, MrKrabs, and many others believe, is that there are too many parents in the affluent suburban/exurban districts who are more concerned with acquiring material wealth and "keeping up with the Jones's" than they are about keeping actively involved in their childrens' lives, activities, and whereabouts. How many spouses of well-earning professionals in the Abingtons are only working so that they can have more "discretionary" income? I know of many cases in which the wives of attorneys and physicians, both of whom likely earn $150,000 or so annually, if not more, are also working just to give their household income that much more of a "boost" to buy another "toy." Why? What's really important in life---acquiring material wealth that you can't take with you when you're six feet under anyways or being there to see all of those memorable points in the lives of your children? Instead of working longer and longer hours to afford that BMW or Audi, why not work a little less, settle for...gasp...a Jetta or Corolla...and feel better about being there more for your children when they need you the most. This might not be as big of an issue in the Abingtons, where most parents commute 20 minutes or so to work, as it is in the Poconos, where some parents commute two states away to work, but this phenomenon of middle-aged folks confusing their priorities has devoured our nation. As a child growing up I'd much rather have my parents around more often to spend more time with me, take me to the movies on occasion or out to play mini golf with a friend, etc. than have them working longer hours to buy me nicer toys. Think about it, parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Everyone automatically assumes that all drug use is in the city. WRONG.
That's exactly why I posted this. I live in the Pittston Area, which while not as affluent as the Abingtons is still gaining a hefty proportion of the nuevo riche. Even here people thumb their noses as the thought of "venturing" into Scranton or Wilkes-Barre for anything, so I can only imagine that Chicken Little mentality of "fear the city" is even MORE pronounced in the Abingtons. How many Waverly professionals have offices downtown and only visit Scranton to either work or show off at some sort of professional gala at the Radisson on occasion? The sharp divide around here between "city slicker" and "Stepford suburbanite" truly needs to stop. I'm a homegrown 'burb boy, yet I can't wait to move into an urban environment (hopefully Scranton if the employment outlook brightens, but if not then perhaps Center City Philly, Loring Park in Minneapolis, or even Old Market Omaha). You just can't imagine how angered I am whenever someone takes a jab at "the city" from their $500,000 McMansion.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Drugs are everywhere anymore, even Mansfield University had a big bust not too long ago, and that is really out in the middle of nowhere. This country spends billions and billions of our tax dollars to combat the problem, and it's only getting worse. Obviously we need to try something new as a country, because the war on drugs is not working!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
I agree about the war on drugs...such a scam...anarchy would be a better solution than our current system.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Sad to say nothing in the article surprised me. When we left keeping up with the Joneses central (tehe) it was as if a monkey was off our collective backs. We were not keeping up with the Joneses and that left our eldest two being they "odd ducks" of our neighborhood.

I thank God I had two wonderful parents who taught me what life was truly all about. Family first and spend your time with them...always. Things can be replaced people can not; time with family is envaluable.

Thanks Mom and Dad...I hope you always look down with pride. sorry to jack the thread...my mom only passed in Feb. and I am amazed that everyday I still "rediscover" the many gifts she gave me!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
LoveinBloom,

Bless your heart for a mouthful well said!!! You are one lucky lady. I agree with you and refuse to keep up with the Joneses. My parents taught me the same values and I agree......it takes character not to go along with the crowd. Sorry about your Mom's passing....but I believe she is looking down at you with pride and admiration.

The Hat

Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM

253 posts, read 996,960 times
Default It's everywhere

I can say from experience (sadly) that the drug problem is everywhere. Confirmed: it is not an economic thing, it's not an urban thing, it's not a NJ/NY thing.... It is an Alarming thing! I've seen first hand parents that raised their children with the right values, only to see the child still go astray. It hurts everyone and the repercussions, even for a short bout, can last a lot longer in terms of a family dynamic. It changes everything if it touches you.

In our experience, it affected someone very close to me (who's now out of that lifestyle) and we came out closer as a family, but there's still a hurt that's hard to heal.

Best advice - know your kids, who they're friends are, what they're doing, and be there for them. And if the road gets tough, don't be afraid of "tough love" if need be. And for the vast majority of kids that are on the right road, hug 'em every day!!!! I know that I do

Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 AM

41 posts, read 94,712 times
Right on Bag..., you are correct. It is too easy to loose our kids to our own lives and schedules. I have learned keeping them busy, busy, busy, helps a lot. I see that the kids that do the smoking and drinking around my town are the ones with way too much time on their hands and no hobbies or extra-curricular activities. I have also noticed that similar activities occur with parents as well; just using 4 families that I know of, two single moms are serious drinkers, so too now are there kids, one married couple drinks everyday, so too now does her 15 year old, which was caught drunk in school, and one couple smokes pot, and so too now does there 15 year old son. We all need to be careful and keep a watchful eye out for our children; they are so easily swayed into trying anything for any reason.

My neighbor is a sheriff for 28 years; his two sons both became pot users then crack addicts. The younger one, 19, burglarized my home 4 years ago just for the high he said, after being caught by cashing checks he had stolen.

His parents both work in law enforcement and were around often, popping in unexpectedly, etc., however, neither boy ever engaged in after school, weekend or summer activities. That has to do a lot with what occurs in addition to not knowing the friends, their parents and what they are doing really...not just what they say they are doing. Following them, tracking them, etc., will open any parents eyes.

They sell hidden cameras to place right into the cars of these kids to video all the goings on in real time; the parents just have to log in and watch everything they do and say. I never went that far, but I did consider it.

Last edited by 7micheller; 05-09-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Sad to say nothing in the article surprised me. When we left keeping up with the Joneses central (tehe) it was as if a monkey was off our collective backs. We were not keeping up with the Joneses and that left our eldest two being they "odd ducks" of our neighborhood.

I thank God I had two wonderful parents who taught me what life was truly all about. Family first and spend your time with them...always. Things can be replaced people can not; time with family is envaluable.

Thanks Mom and Dad...I hope you always look down with pride. sorry to jack the thread...my mom only passed in Feb. and I am amazed that everyday I still "rediscover" the many gifts she gave me!
This is true,some people are too busy keeping up with the jones and chasing the buck is right. Nothing wrong with making money,but In my opinion,It's all about priority In life,Family first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania