Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 10:45 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
No, but they do make a great sloppy Joe. Like the OPs Jimmy's they steam the rolls.

That said; does anybody know of any small mom and pop eateries that offer something different like I mentioned in my other post? I had a friend that encouraged me to stop in Avoca for a pizza and it really tasted great (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nsylvania.html). It was different in a good way from what we get locally. Years ago I stopped at a (then) new pizza place and the owner asked me how I liked his pizza (he thought it was great). I really didn't like his pizza and his sauce tasted bitter; but I told him it was fine (I did not elaborate). I never see many cars at his place; but he is still in business. People will flock to the right eatery if they feel the food is great, they get their money's worth, or they just feel it is clean and safe. I just cannot believe that some of the small resturante owners do not see these shows on TV and then try something similar.
I love Pho Saigon in Bartonsville. It's a family-owned and operated joint, Dad in the kitchen cooking and kids serving. Food is excellent, imo. My husband was not impressed by their Pho but I think he didn't care for the lemongrass & star anise in it. (There are several variations of Pho.) The pork belly was amazing. *drools*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 03:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Kearney's Barbeque Restaurant in Kingston, PA (actually Edwardsville) was a famous mom and pop operation. The owners, Charles and Mary Kearney lived above the restaurant. They never had real barbeque but they had great shoestring french fries and "chicken in the rough" served with honey. Thick real milkshakes, too. They were the first restaurant on the west side (of Wyoming Valley) to have curb service with orders placed remotely. It was bought by some Big Boy franchise and then Franklin's and now MacDonald's.

The photo below shows Kearney's in the 1950s. To the left up on a hill is part of the Woodward coal mine complex. The black metal structure is the mine "headframe" below which are the vertical shafts into the mine.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Kearney's Barbeque Restaurant in Kingston, PA (actually Edwardsville) was a famous mom and pop operation. The owners, Charles and Mary Kearney lived above the restaurant. They never had real barbeque but they had great shoestring french fries and "chicken in the rough" served with honey. Thick real milkshakes, too. They were the first restaurant on the west side (of Wyoming Valley) to have curb service with orders placed remotely. It was bought by some Big Boy franchise and then Franklin's and now MacDonald's. The photo below shows Kearney's in the 1950s. To the left up on a hill is part of the Woodward coal mine complex. The black metal structure is the mine "headframe" below which are the vertical shafts into the mine.

True Mom & Pop operations that many of us remember but few now have had the opportunity to enjoy....great post, @Wells5!!

Old 04-01-2021, 04:11 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Kearney's Barbeque Restaurant in Kingston, PA (actually Edwardsville) was a famous mom and pop operation. The owners, Charles and Mary Kearney lived above the restaurant. They never had real barbeque but they had great shoestring french fries and "chicken in the rough" served with honey. Thick real milkshakes, too. They were the first restaurant on the west side (of Wyoming Valley) to have curb service with orders placed remotely. It was bought by some Big Boy franchise and then Franklin's and now MacDonald's.

The photo below shows Kearney's in the 1950s. To the left up on a hill is part of the Woodward coal mine complex. The black metal structure is the mine "headframe" below which are the vertical shafts into the mine.

Wells, I came to this valley 52 years ago with a husband and four sons. We added another to the population and with one exception, all of the offspring have remained here in the WyoValley; All with good jobs, good wives, raising exemplary (mostly) families. Not a minimum wage or a strap hanger in the bunch. Momma is proud!

Kearney's would have been right up our alley. We're not big fast food fans and we didn't eat out often but that sounds like a destination.

Thanks for the information on the Woodward breaker.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I love Pho Saigon in Bartonsville. It's a family-owned and operated joint, Dad in the kitchen cooking and kids serving. Food is excellent, imo. My husband was not impressed by their Pho but I think he didn't care for the lemongrass & star anise in it. (There are several variations of Pho.) The pork belly was amazing. *drools*
Maybe I am just not familiar enough with southeastern Asian cuisine? I don't know what to order and I did try them once; but I was not impressed. That does not mean that they aren't a great restaurant, it is my ignorance of what they offer, that affected my experience. I love most of what the Chinese restaurants offer, but I am familiar with them and Vietnamese and Thailand are strange territory. I am usually pretty brave about trying anything that crawls across my plate. It could be that we have no current offerings of these menus north of me in the Mt. Pocono or Pocono Summit area, where I normally shop?

If I go by again I will give them another try.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:32 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Wells, I came to this valley 52 years ago with a husband and four sons. We added another to the population and with one exception, all of the offspring have remained here in the WyoValley; All with good jobs, good wives, raising exemplary (mostly) families. Not a minimum wage or a strap hanger in the bunch. Momma is proud!

Kearney's would have been right up our alley. We're not big fast food fans and we didn't eat out often but that sounds like a destination.

Thanks for the information on the Woodward breaker.
Theater,

Since you have lived in the area for so many years, do you still have favorite mom and pop restaurants that are currently in business? Kearney's Barbeque Restaurant in Kingston, PA is history and the OP had asked for current M&P locations to visit when they were in the area.

I loved that Old River Road Bakery, but that has been history for many years. It is probably a good thing because my belt could not hold the pressure of my pressing stomach if they did not go out of business!

Old 04-07-2021, 01:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Abe’s is all right. I like Coney Island Lunch more.

I’ll throw in a vote for Pizza L’Oven, for their trays of fried Sicilian perfection, and while it’s not really a restaurant, Gerry’s for round, swirled sauce pies.

I think the Valley has some excellent pizza, and an abundance of “pizza artisans” who have their own unique twists on local favorites. I liked Old Forge style pizza when I first tried it, but when I got around to trying the rest of the places in the Valley corridor, I realized it’s hideously overrated, and it’s a shame that it tends to eclipse far better local favorites.
I'll second Coney Island lunch. A couple times I was in Scranton, this fit the bill for a quick hot dog that isn't off the street/dirty water dog. Ick!! For local wings, Kelly's Pub in south Scranton.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:50 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I'll second Coney Island lunch. A couple times I was in Scranton, this fit the bill for a quick hot dog that isn't off the street/dirty water dog. Ick!! For local wings, Kelly's Pub in south Scranton.
Dugan’s in Luzerne is another great choice for wings.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:52 AM

3,969 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Dugan’s in Luzerne is another great choice for wings.
I just perused the menu. How is that Sloppy Charlie sandwich? I like to block my arteries on occasion.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:19 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I just perused the menu. How is that Sloppy Charlie sandwich? I like to block my arteries on occasion.
I’ve never had it—only the wings! But I bet it’s great.

Pro-tip: while I enjoy hot and spicy food, Dugan’s medium wing sauce is much better than their “hot,” which has a fine amount of heat but is too vinegary. The medium has a much better balance of flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania