U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 20,896 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a gun range where you can lease firearms without having any kind of firearm training or license?

Are there any in NEPA in the area of Wilkes-Barre and the surroundings?

Help is very appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM

98 posts, read 181,186 times
I doubt they would "lease" a weapon to you, You can own Bolt-action, Semi-auto rifles and shotguns without any sort of a license. Handguns you can own without a license as well, but in order to transport or carry on your person you will need to be licensed.

but to answer your question I'm almost 100 percent positive there isn't.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM

62 posts, read 163,465 times
No, they can rent a gun to you while you are on the premises because, they are renting you the time on their range and providing you with a firearm to use, they are not transferring the gun into your name in any way such as one would do with a rental car.

You may purchase a handgun or long gun without any permit or license providing that you pass the state background check and the National Criminal Investigation Service check, their is a cost associated with both checks however they are figured into your gun purchase and they are generally instant results, although NCIS has up to 5 days to deny the purchase (there is a gray area there that I wont go into as its outside of the scope of your question).

Basically, if you have a clean criminal and psychological record (meaning not every being remanded to a mental health facility, you should be ok. Keep in mind, most states, including PA also check for DUI (I believe PA looks at 7 years for DUI). If you have ever been convicted of a felony, regardless of how long ago it was, you will be denied, this includes plea bargain deals, no contest, and guilty pleas, regardless of jail time.

Finally, even though you do not need a license to own, you do need a license to carry and this extends to transportation within your vehicle so check the PA laws to make sure you are not breaking the law unknowingly during transport to and from the range or hunting trip. Also keep in mind that once you cross state lines, all the rules change.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 AM

29,743 posts, read 26,463,503 times
i have my nyc permit as nyc is still my main residence. in nyc you arent even allowed to shoot someone elses handgun even if you have a permit. as you can only shoot whats listed on your permit. you arent allowed to touch a handgun without a permit...... its technically not legal when you and a buddy shoot and go here try mine. in fact you cant even have a permit with out having a gun registered to it. your permit automatically is voided if you sell the last gun before buying another.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-12-2008 at 04:23 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have my nyc permit as nyc is still my main residence. in nyc you arent even allowed to shoot someone elses handgun even if you have a permit. as you can only shoot whats listed on your permit. you arent allowed to touch a handgun without a permit...... its technically not legal when you and a buddy shoot and go here try mine. in fact you cant even have a permit with out having a gun registered to it. your permit automatically is voided if you sell the last gun before buying another.
Lets just not go there...there are far to many things about NYC that I dont like, Im bound to get pissed off if I start talking about their draconian gun laws

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM

29,743 posts, read 26,463,503 times
i have alot to say tooooo on nyc and their permit system but i wont bore ya all

Old 05-12-2008, 05:38 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,353,713 times
Here in Arizona there are several ranges that allow you to rent a rifle, shot gun or hand gun including revolvers, bolt action semi auto or fully auto. I know each state likes to decimate the second amendment in their own way, so perhaps Pa doesn't allow that. I don't recall anything of the sort when i lived in Pa. I think an indoor range with a quality gun shop would be a wise business decision for NEPA.

www.caswells.com is one of them, www.scottsdalegunclub.com is another

Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 20,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
No, they can rent a gun to you while you are on the premises because, they are renting you the time on their range and providing you with a firearm to use, they are not transferring the gun into your name in any way such as one would do with a rental car.

That's exactly where I was going, "lease" was probably not the right word.
Does anyone happen to know by any chance of any such places in NEPA?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremepilot View Post
That's exactly where I was going, "lease" was probably not the right word.
Does anyone happen to know by any chance of any such places in NEPA?

I dont know off hand, but the NRA website is a good resource, here is the link to the PA page of the NRA shooting ranges lookup Shooting Range - National Registry however its only by state, it does not narrow it down by county, city, etc. The best bet is to search online on any of the websites that use yellow pages listings so that you can search by city.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,321,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
I dont know off hand, but the NRA website is a good resource, here is the link to the PA page of the NRA shooting ranges lookup Shooting Range - National Registry however its only by state, it does not narrow it down by county, city, etc. The best bet is to search online on any of the websites that use yellow pages listings so that you can search by city.
Hey hun, how did you get so much reputation for so little posts? Hrmph!!! I'm trying to reach 50 so I can put one of those nifty little taglines under my name, but I can't seem to accumulate them as fast as you! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania