Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
When I say A-holes i mean, guys like John from Scranton and other calling this kid dumb and drink....Is he? I don't know, but you sound like an a-hole.

Again, i am not defending them, simply pointing out to you the other end of opinion you and yours don't think exists.

You and yours? I'm not sure what you mean by that...

I never said that he was dumb or drunk.

I said that we could not afford to be handing out jobs to unqualified children when we could give a job to an experienced out of work voter that could use and probably would need the job.

I understand what your saying but I'm going to let you in on a secret....People are getting sick and tired of the way things are in this city......YOU AND YOURS are on the way out my friend. The times are changing....

Jobless rates matter, they matter because more and more people are out of work and they are hurting in this area...They matter because people are starting to see that while they are hurting certain people in this city are bullet proof to it and they don't deserve it. The people deserve better....

The idea of "CHANGE" that swept our nation in November will be used and pushed here in Scranton, its time for a change........

Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:

Regarding this job, it is simply a title. He would be filing paperwork, being a courier ect. He would learn the zoning regulation as time went on.

$32,000 is a lot of money for a file clerk/gopher in this area. Especially considering that his boss would only be making $145 more per year. Something is wrong with that picture.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Politics aside, some of you have said very callous and cruel things about this young man (only one year my senior) whom you all know NOTHING about, which I suppose is on par for the intellectual caliber of some of you on this forum! Is he the best qualified applicant for this position? Probably not, unless, of course, this job was NOT advertised (which I don't think it was), and it was just fed to him on a silver platter, in which case he is the best applicant out of he, himself, and him. Would he have done a good job in the position? Perhaps. We don't know for sure. Who ever thought I'd be selling tractors with an accounting degree? We all find different areas where we "shine."

Why is so much of what goes on in the city of Scranton just an absolute "p*ssing contest" to so many of you people? I started my "Scranton 2020" thread to LEGITIMATELY toss around SOLID LONG-TERM IDEAS on how to get the city back on track, and all several of you could do was banter back and forth about how much the city sucked for a few pages. ANY thread I begin about this city's future that shows one ounce of potential is instantly vilified. It's as if you all think the city hit the iceberg when it re-elected Mayor Doherty, and now it's sinking fast with the violins playing in the background! I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I never saw a city where residents had such little hope about its future than Scranton. Even WILKES-BARRE, replete with low-life scumbag riffraff around Public Square and generally speaking much higher crime and much dirtier and less desirable residential neighborhoods than Scranton has MORE proponents than the Electric City seems to have. I've befriended many from outside the area. Whenever they come to visit, and I show them around Scranton, they never ceased to be IMPRESSED!

The ones helping to continue Scranton's downtrodden image into perpetuity are you residents yourselves. At least Go Phillies is more fair-and-balanced than the half-dozen of you cry-baby regulars who come on here beating your chests and wearing some sort of "Badge of Honor" while wearing an "I Survived the Doherty Administration" t-shirt. You know what? I am NOT a fan of the mayor either, but I DO see a light at the end of the tunnel---a BETTER Scranton with more well-kept neighborhoods, a rebounding population at some point between 2010-2020, and more positive economic growth. Why do you all have to look at things so "glass half-empty?!"

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The idea of "CHANGE" that swept our nation in November will be used and pushed here in Scranton, its time for a change........

I agree completly. Mine and mines have been out Dan. I have zero influnece, remember i am 26 years old.

You and yours means you and people who feel the same way you do. No reference to anything more.

Listen, this was a mistake from second 1....The funny thing is watching it play out. The outcome was positive for people against this Mayor and his practices or hiring people unqualified. HOWEVER, you now have the Connor's lyalists who will be angry about this because they know what a good guy Zach is. They will look at "you and yours" as the enemy just like the Dohery Loyalists already do. Soo, effectlivy you have increased the people who already think you just whine too much.

Keep in mind i am simply an outsider making observations.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
HOWEVER, you now have the Connor's lyalists who will be angry about this because they know what a good guy Zach is. They will look at "you and yours" as the enemy just like the Dohery Loyalists already do. Soo, effectlivy you have increased the people who already think you just whine too much.
I don't think there are many "Connors loyalists" left other than the Connors family. Now that its obvious that Connors sold his soul to Doherty to get his kid a job, a lot will turn against Jimmy. I honestly think Doherty giving Connors' kid a job and naming a park after him was just buttering up Jimmy to campaign for him this year.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM

I think it is APPALLING after reading this young man's job application that he penciled in "$32,000" under "salary desired." I'll be graduating soon with a very highly-demanded B.S. in Accounting (that will eventually be an MBA), a very strong work ethic, a cumulative 3.5 GPA (not the best, but not bad considering my heavy work duties), and a proven track record of attracting and retaining our clientèle at my current long-term employer, and I'd be HAPPY to start at $32,000 somewhere around the Scranton area since that's TWICE my current annual salary, but sadly I can't even find THAT, which I don't think is asking for too much for a college graduate! Then we have a college drop-out with no experience asking for a salary like that? $25,000 perhaps, but $32,000?!

What's even sadder though is that a lot of the comments I've read/heard decry the $32,000 as being a "high salary" IN GENERAL! Folks, if you step outside of the bubble they call Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, $32,000 is PEANUTS! I actually had one lonely elderly lady hyping up her grandson to me who was making the "big bucks" of $39,000 per year as a teacher. I had to do all I could to avoid snorting out laughing. "BIG BUCKS?!" No wonder why the K-Car is the common car of choice around these parts!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

What's even sadder though is that a lot of the comments I've read/heard decry the $32,000 as being a "high salary" IN GENERAL! Folks, if you step outside of the bubble they call Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, $32,000 is PEANUTS! I actually had one lonely elderly lady hyping up her grandson to me who was making the "big bucks" of $39,000 per year as a teacher. I had to do all I could to avoid snorting out laughing. "BIG BUCKS?!" No wonder why the K-Car is the common car of choice around these parts!
You're right, but, $32,000 with no experience other than bartending and mowing grass on the side of turnpike for a few summers and dropped out of college? In this area, that's excessive. If, as 570717 said, he would probably start out be doing filing and being a courier, $32,000 is excessive.

$32,000 may not be a lot of money in other areas, but you also cannot buy a home for less than $100,000 in those areas, as you can here in Scranton. Most places like Philly, NYC, NJ, MD, DC, you can't buy a shack for less than $350,000. So a $32,000 job in somewhere like NJ would be like making $8/hour in Scranton.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I think it is APPALLING after reading this young man's job application that he penciled in "$32,000" under "salary desired." I'll be graduating soon with a very highly-demanded B.S. in Accounting (that will eventually be an MBA), a very strong work ethic, a cumulative 3.5 GPA (not the best, but not bad considering my heavy work duties), and a proven track record of attracting and retaining our clientèle at my current long-term employer, and I'd be HAPPY to start at $32,000 somewhere around the Scranton area since that's TWICE my current annual salary, but sadly I can't even find THAT, which I don't think is asking for too much for a college graduate! Then we have a college drop-out with no experience asking for a salary like that? $25,000 perhaps, but $32,000?!

Being originally from North NJ, it feels weird to hear the talk of a salary in the low '30's being "high". That was my starting salary of my first job, and that was the "lower end" of the spectrum. Then, with this contraversy going on in Scranton I'm hearing on the news mention of other city and county officials' salaries, and I'm thinking "Gosh, I made that in my 3rd year in the work force as an Administrative Assistant" LOL! It just really is amazing how much LOWER the salaries here are.......

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
It just really is amazing how much LOWER the salaries here are.......
Which wouldn't be so bad if the cost-of-living here hadn't EXPLODED over the past several years while real wages declined. Try finding a nice home for under $100,000 now in the city of Scranton. It's essentially IMPOSSIBLE. Wilkes-Barre, Plymouth, Edwardsville, Ashley, Nanticoke, Hazleton, Carbondale, and Pittston all have very affordable real estate, but for the obvious reasons that 9 out of 10 people wouldn't want to raise a family in these towns. LOL!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Being originally from North NJ, it feels weird to hear the talk of a salary in the low '30's being "high". That was my starting salary of my first job, and that was the "lower end" of the spectrum. Then, with this contraversy going on in Scranton I'm hearing on the news mention of other city and county officials' salaries, and I'm thinking "Gosh, I made that in my 3rd year in the work force as an Administrative Assistant" LOL! It just really is amazing how much LOWER the salaries here are.......
But cost of living is lower here. To think that you can still buy nice homes in the $75K-$150K range here....that's impossible in NJ, unless you want to live in a bombed-out ghetto in Camden or Newark. Groceries are also cheaper here. Believe it or not, taxes are lower here as well. About the only thing cheaper in NJ is gas. Like I said before, making $32,000 in NJ is like making $8/hour here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania