Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
So, magically, one's perspective clears of any distortion one way or another when you reach a certain age (usually the age of the older, jaded, somewhat failure in life of a poster who makes these aged-based criticisms)? Please say yes. I'd love for you to.

In fact, I don't think there's anyone else on these boards more knowledgeable about the area and its problems than he is.
Failure in Life????? Thats rich little man, just rich. YES as you age and EXPERIENCE LIFE your perceptions and outlooks do change......They do that based on experience and not just a idea of what something is like.

On the second part up there.....ARE YOU KIDDNG ME?????? Please...Because he can regurgitate facts from the WWW quicker then most......Paul has no idea what the problems of the area are nor has he ever experienced any of those problems in life. He hasn't even left the protective nest yet.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
That one!!

Its nice...I went to the range about two weeks ago when it warmed up....

I had to pattern the chokes for the new Mossy 835 and checked the sights on the Stag....Good groups at 50yds. The rear sight is adjustable left to right and the front pin is adjustable up and down.

I'm looking at maybe a AR-10 for the summer.

Weather breaks we'll have a range day.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
YES as you age and EXPERIENCE LIFE your perceptions and outlooks do change......They do that based on experience and not just a idea of what something is like.
I think you're rather light on the details on how that's supposed to inform someone's opinion on solving the problems left in the wake of the de-industrialization of the northeast. My point is mainly that you don't need to be divorced with "tree" kids or otherwise to offer constructive solutions to these problems. To discount the perspectives of young people because they are young is prejudice; not wisdom.

And yes, I know how good I am. You don't need to tell me.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
his perspective doesn't qualify for membership to your exclusive little old men's club.
This statement quantifies the ageism apparent on both sides. Age has absolutely NOTHING to do with Scranton's problems, John's grammar, Paul's optimism or your law studies. It's outlook. Glass 1/2 full, glass 1/2 empty.

Yes, the longer we are "out there in the world" the more experiences we have, whether good or bad. These experiences shape our OUTLOOK for positive or negative. BUT, we have the choice to apply these positives or negatives (in any varying degree) to our outlook.

I'm almost twice your age, yet my outlook on life in general is positive & I know some extremely intelligent 20 y/o's as well as some extremely ignorant 50 y/o's.

Old men's club or kid's garanimals, both are generalizations that do not apply & have absolutely nothing to do with individual outlook.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM

I agree completely! Unfortunately, I have to spread rep points around first.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:

I hardly think John from Scranton has a clearer grasp on reality than Paul. The guy can barely talk, nevermind offer us the truth on how things are.
Ok..... Back the ship up buddy!! I got more reality in my foot then you or Paul, have!! You need to understand this little fight... "young vs old" Old are going to win every time!!

Why?? As if you dont know... Because we been their done that already.. You havent.. Make sure you let me know when you land your first job..

Or perhaps, Paul, can get you in at Lowe's, when your done with school and in the same boat!!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Ok..... Back the ship up buddy!! I got more reality in my foot then you or Paul, have!! You need to understand this little fight... "young vs old" Old are going to win every time!!

Why?? As if you dont know... Because we been their done that already.. You havent.. Make sure you let me know when you land your first job..

Or perhaps, Paul, can get you in at Lowe's, when your done with school and in the same boat!!
“The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say.”
Kahlil Gibran

“Reality is the #1 cause of insanity among those who are in contact with it”
Anonymous

“Reality confronts man with a great many "musts," but all of them are conditional; the formula of realistic necessity is: "You must, if " and the "if" stands for man's choice”
Ayn Rand

“Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs or alchohol.”
Lily Tomlin

“Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious...”
Michael Stipe

Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its nice...I went to the range about two weeks ago when it warmed up....

I had to pattern the chokes for the new Mossy 835 and checked the sights on the Stag....Good groups at 50yds. The rear sight is adjustable left to right and the front pin is adjustable up and down.

I'm looking at maybe a AR-10 for the summer.

Weather breaks we'll have a range day.
Thats cool!! I havent been up there in some time now.. When it get's warmer out we will have to break out the toys...

Last time I looked most AR's were all sold out.. I still have to get the sights on my new Sig, inline.. Only got to shoot it once.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I had to work today from 9:30 AM-7 PM, hence why I've been so silent up until now, but I just wanted to say that I don't consider anyone on this forum to be an "enemy" by any stretch of the imagination. Do we all disagree on many issues? Most certainly. I'm in the majority on this forum that hopes to see fresh blood at the mayoral helm exactly one year from now, but within that majority I'm a very slim minority that thinks Scranton has potential to succeed despite the fiduciary mistakes of the current administration. Most others on here not only dislike the mayor but ALSO think that the city is now too far distressed to ever make a comeback; they consider Scranton to be the Hindenburg, if you will. I'm not so bleak. If Pittsburgh, often considered a larger version of the Electric City, is coming back, then why can't Scranton?

Scranton had been in deep decline since the post-WWII era, and now while the budget may have more red ink than AIG, I'm seeing more and more "little things" around town that make me feel confident that Scranton has nothing but a positive future ahead for it. Scranton's residents "squeak" a lot at council meetings to voice their displeasure, and while I wish they would do so WITHOUT making council members cry to show some compassion for their fellow human beings, at least it shows that they care about the current state of affairs in their city. I can't say the same about my hometown of Pittston Township, where my family was typically the ONLY one representing our subdivision of nearly 100 residents at our monthly township meetings when plans for an adjacent shopping complex were being discussed, even though this would have an impact upon ALL of our property values and quality-of-living. The city will be just fine, even if Dan, John, Ed, and the others all think it's already beyond hitting the iceberg while all of the "valuable" people are scurrying onto lifeboats and out of the city while the going is still good.

Scranton is the pulse of NEPA. It's our region's largest city. When it falters, we all suffer---Clarks Summit, Dunmore, Old Forge, Pittston, Archbald, and even Wilkes-Barre. Many of you always gripe because I'm an "outsider" to the city who loves to mouth off regardless of my residency, but since my own hometown just eight miles away hinges upon the relative success or failure of Scranton to keep itself afloat, it IS my business to ensure that the Electric City stays "charged!"

P.S. As for the gathering, I would not be opposed to it. Mondays would be best for me as I work and have school the other six days, but I can always work my schedule around something else. Perhaps I can buy y'all a round at Andy Gavin's? I'm honestly not the "snoot" that I seem like on this forum. I just have a passion for the English language that grates on people's nerves sometimes. Sorry!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-10-2009 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I'd like that.

I could make some spending money tutoring you on the English language.

(Now that's how a comeback is done. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania