Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Sherry Fanucci has a Facebook! I hope she adds me!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
what HE wants to see changed to get the city back on track again instead of only bickering and griping about its current state of affairs. I don't know why it had to be like pulling hen's teeth to get that out of him though.

I have been saying for years that the key to fixing the city and its issues is to get rid of Doherty and all of his expenditures. Maybe your just not hearing it or seeing past your desire to constantly argue with me about it.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
F*cking brilliant!

Long Island accents sound so British on line, don't they?
Its certainly not a Thorton Wilder play or anything, but its good.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM

38 posts, read 76,928 times
Talking a belated response

Per ScranBarre, "So, nepanite, in other words you're more or less telling me that anyone with any sort of marketable skills ought to leave Northeastern Pennsylvania for greener economic pastures?

Actually, you talk about this happening on a pretty frequent basis

How is this area ever suppose to revitalize itself if all of its talented youths flee to other markets? This "Brain Drain" HAS to stop eventually.

The "brain drain" is more an effect than a cause unto itself which was the point of my earlier post.

Yes, I will continue to tearfully bid all of my friends a fond farewell as they relocate in droves to other areas. Do I like doing this? No. It's very, very emotionally draining to have to say "we'll keep in touch" to person after person while knowing damn well that you'll most likely never see that person ever again in your life.

You seemed to imply that I was foolish for wanting to stunt my career and earnings potential by staying in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro area, but I don't see it that way. This area, despite its poorly-educated residents, prioritization of high school football, condoning of alcoholism, racism, rude residents, homophobia, lack of diversity, and dearth of white-collar opportunity still has potential in my eyes to become a nice place to live someday. Is it that way now? Hell no.
Who's the 'Debbie Downer' now?

Will it be at some point during my lifetime? Most certainly.
Certainly based on what evidence? And by who's definition for that matter?
I want to help be a part of this. I just returned home from an entrepreneurship course here at King's, and I'm inspired now more than ever before to try to make a difference in our region instead of just sitting around whining about it like most of the males on this forum"
I haven't seen that much whining on the forum to be honest. However, I have seen other posters point out critical flaws in some of your descriptions of city projects, etc. My post actually was in response to your statement that the areas lack of educational attainment was the cause of your job woes and it is not nearly that simple, that is all. Keep in mind ScranBarre, if you keep asking the wrong questions, they do not need to worry about you finding out the right answers.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,685 times
http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_consonants/y/images/yawn.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,942 times
Quote:
Correct. The problem routinely is though that all most people on this forum can do is say "Get rid of Doherty."
Paul, It's not just people of this forum It's ton's of other forums across the internet, in the news paper, in the towns, on the city streets, on the news, it's everywhere!! 98% of the city is sick of doherty!! The other 2% of people that think's he's doing a great job are people like you and comish, and doherty's family!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Paul, It's not just people of this forum It's ton's of other forums across the internet, in the news paper, in the towns, on the city streets, on the news, it's everywhere!! 98% of the city is sick of doherty!! The other 2% of people that think's he's doing a great job are people like you and comish, and doherty's family!
Apparently you have trouble with reading comprehension because I NEVER said I was an ardent supporter of Mayor Doherty. Show me where I said that. Just because I'm TRYING to be one of the 1% of people in the area who are upbeat about the city's future does not necessarily equate me to a Doherty loyalist.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I'm TRYING to be one of the 1% of people in the area who are upbeat about the city's future does not necessarily equate me to a Doherty loyalist.
There is no reason to be upbeat about the city as long as its currently being run by the same group of people. If the admin does not change then why would we think that the spending habits would? There is NO way to straighten out the city until the spending stops, and that is not going to happen till we have a change of leadership.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There is no reason to be upbeat about the city as long as its currently being run by the same group of people. If the admin does not change then why would we think that the spending habits would? There is NO way to straighten out the city until the spending stops, and that is not going to happen till we have a change of leadership.
This debate has become like the "What came first? The chicken or the egg?" debate.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Look at like this...The city has always been here but the astronomical debt has only been around for 7+ years. Its time for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania