Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM

703 posts, read 1,539,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Oh thats right...terror "suspects" ...pardon me for not being politically correct
Well, two questions for you then:

(1) Are the detainees "terrorists" or "terror suspects?"

Terrorists are those who have committed, enabled, or conspired to commit terrorist acts. Generally, you need some sort of evidence to support these accusations. Terror suspects on the other hand are those merely suspected of committing those crimes. By definition, some may be innocent. Some may be guilty.

(2) How do you know that?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM

858 posts, read 3,035,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Um, yes.

That's generally what's referred to as a "brain-drain." You must not have been aware of the term. That doesn't surprise me. In the future, I'd recommend looking up words you're unfamiliar with. Regardless, my point is that instead of silencing the young people until they plop down mortgages on homes within the city limits (which you want to do), maybe we should be listening to them. It's hard to stop the brain-drain, but maybe with the right input from them we can slow it and slowly rebuild this area.

And please learn the following words before responding: Zoning; worse; than; somewhere; making; there's; and they're.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Don't feel bad... I was told I can't spell...
Had to look that one up..

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

703 posts, read 1,539,361 times
We all agreed to be civil, John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
I had several transcription jobs in 2008 where I was transcribing interviews with detainees at Guantanamo. Unfortunately, I'm not able to discuss in detail the content of them, but all I can say is that after hearing what went on there straight out of their mouths, I have an entirely different opinion on the matter. I used to feel like Ed, Dan, John, coartist, etc. but after the information I was privy to, I just cannot support the tactics used at Guantanamo. The fact that there were/are no trials being given to a lot of these people is just one of the MANY things wrong with how that place is run. Also, the treatment of those who were found INNOCENT, even *after* they were proven innocent, is horrid. If you only knew! I'm just saying... hearing first hand accounts as opposed to second hand stories on the news paints an entirely different picture.
Horrifying story!

It needs to be told though.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM

936 posts, read 2,386,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Well, people liked to bash Bush at every turn also. Granted, he wasn't the greatest President, but a lot of people didn't stand by him and liked to bad mouth him at every turn, I guess it's our turn now.
So I guess two wrongs make a right????

I for one didnt bash Bush until he deserved to be bashed. He was a horrible president, unfortunatley.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,980,699 times
I still think Ed is Sara Palin.......Or maybe Carl Rove....Thats it, he is Carl Rove...perhaps holding a Séance with Lee Atwater.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:50 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,110,645 times
Quote:
Well, two questions for you then:

(1) Are the detainees "terrorists" or "terror suspects?"

Terrorists are those who have committed, enabled, or conspired to commit terrorist acts. Generally, you need some sort of evidence to support these accusations. Terror suspects on the other hand are those merely suspected of committing those crimes. By definition, some may be innocent. Some may be guilty.

(2) How do you know that?
#1..they are there for a reason...detainees are people being held awaiting trail or arraigment..yes..techinically..they are "suspects"..innocent until
proven guilty....

#2..how do you know that....questioning..witness..evidence..associatio ns..
affiliations...some evidence...as being associated with groups...
Tangible Evidence,physical evidence...
Evidence can be obtained from anything and anyone....
I understand your point...but I can really care less about these "suspected"
terrorists....kind of hard to when you have to console the families of victims

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM

yes everyone..please be civil...agree to disagree..we may not agree with people have to say but be respectful...it's not that serious....exchange thoughts...debate...BUT...stay within the TOS.....
no personal attacks, insults,name calling...just debate....I have a couple of posts posted....I don't take it personal if someone dissagrees with me...
just stay within the TOS.....

Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 PM

858 posts, read 3,035,772 times
Talking executive orders!! lol :)

Obama plans to sign an executive order ending the ban on federal funds for international groups that perform abortions or provide information on the option.

Obama has spent his first days in office systematically signing executive orders reversing Bush administration policies on issues ranging from foreign policy to government operations.

Obama not long ago told the American people that he would support policies to reduce abortions, but today he is effectively guaranteeing more abortions by funding groups that promote abortion as a method of population control.

Officials: Obama to reverse abortion policy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_abortion_ban - broken link)

Sounds like obama rama :-D lol is really starting to show the kind of person he really is.. What a joke!!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,053,434 times
Quote:
We are not our enemies.
Agreed but while our enemies plot against us around every corner we are supposed to do what? Its ok for them to use tactics that are by many definitions wrong but we are supposed to play by the rules?

Why not ask a vet how he feels about playing by the rules while our enemies don't..Go ahead and ask any gulf-war vet how they feel about enemy combatants and the rules that they follow.....

Ask the Israelis how they feel about playing by the rules and why they don't.

My friend you have no idea what fear of terror is, you have never had to live in that day to day fear. Wondering whether or not leaving the apartment today is going to cost you your life or if the bus that you have to take today is going to blow up.

You speak wonderfully from a sheltered area of academics and opinions but as coartist said until you have had to deal with this on any level face to face you will never know the fear.

Enya...Ask the family members of the 9/11 victims if they honestly care about any of those that have been detained as suspects in terror attacks against the USA.

HAS EVERYONE FORGOT ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED ON 9/11?

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT THOSE THAT PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE FOR JUST FOR GOING TO WORK ON THAT FATEFUL TUESDAY?

http://www.rohdesign.com/weblog/img/photos/National_Park_Service_9-11_Statue_of_Liberty_and_WTC_fire.jpg (broken link)

We were brought to our kness on the very doorstep of liberty and you want us to be concerned about those that have wronged this country? You want us to care about those that have taken part or planned attacks against this nation?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Yes..let us not forget all who served and paid the ultimate price...
and pray to God we never experience this again....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania