U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 AM

3,234 posts, read 4,348,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Yes, to you "potential human beings". Not to me. Just saying, you like to bring up the abortion issue on this board a LOT and talk about "killing babies". Don't expect to say things like that and have others (like me) who believe differently say silent. I've refrained from responding to such comments you've made in the past, but there comes a point when enough is enough.
I don't recall bringing up this issuse in the past all that much, just recently. Maybe you have me mistaken for someone else. My big issue that I spoke very vocally about in the past is illegal immigration. I still think it's wrong for our tax money to go towards someone getting an abortion either here or in another country, it's just not right. If a woman gets an abortion, it really doesn't affect me, it's just seems more people should take responsibilty for their actions and not use it as a form of birth control. And how do you know for sure that they're not human beings?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Yea, and conservatives want every baby to be born and then b***h and moan when their parents need support from the government to survive and feed said child
Well yeah, I don't believe that handouts like welfare and food stamps should last a lifetime, once again a responsibilty issue.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I don't doubt that you're taking issue with his remarks, and that's perfectly fine. I just doubt you even know why.

How did he "misrepresent America's culture and heritage with his remarks"?

Are you sure this country was founded on Christianity and not on the freedom to worship as one chooses?

How is he "trying to make this country secular"? In what ways is it not, currently?

You want to debate a position, but you can't even explain your own. Do you even UNDERSTAND what it is you're talking about? Instead of rephrasing and regurgitating generalities, be specific. Defend your points. It doesn't appear to me that you can. I've posed four very simple questions to you. Think you can come close to answering any of them?
Who do you think you are? I don't need to defend anything to you. If you don't get it, oh well. I debate others on this forum and we disagree and none of them are as arrogant as you and need explaining about simple points I made. I understand clearly what I'm talking about, I'm sorry you can't comprehend me or are you doing this just to start something? In any case, it really doesn't bother me and have a great day!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,235,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Who do you think you are? I don't need to defend anything to you. If you don't get it, oh well. I debate others on this forum and we disagree and none of them are as arrogant as you and need explaining about simple points I made. I understand clearly what I'm talking about, I'm sorry you can't comprehend me or are you doing this just to start something? In any case, it really doesn't bother me and have a great day!!!!
But the thing is, you haven't made any points, simple or otherwise. You agreed with what someone else said, that's it. If you "understand clearly" what you're talking about, then being asked to restate the position in your own words should not be such an unbearable burden. The fact that it is shows that you really have nothing to back it up with.

Four simple questions. I asked politely. You couldn't answer a single one of them. Didn't think so...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
But the thing is, you haven't made any points, simple or otherwise. You agreed with what someone else said, that's it. If you "understand clearly" what you're talking about, then being asked to restate the position in your own words should not be such an unbearable burden. The fact that it is shows that you really have nothing to back it up with.

Four simple questions. I asked politely. You couldn't answer a single one of them. Didn't think so...
78.5 percent of this country is Christian, most early settlers were Christian, not all. Some were Puritans and Pilgrims and were nonconformists. Yes, they believed in separation of church and state, but when the majority are Christian and have been for years and years, he's misrepresnting our country saying we practice other religions, when in fact those are in the minority, 21.5 percent of them. He's trying to divide our country even more.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I still think we are in deep sh_ _ !! Four years from now, our US of A is going to be worse not better. I don't think this inexperienced, egotistic man is going to pull us out of the ditch !!
Just my opinion !!
He is going to bring this country to depths never seen by an American President, it's happening before our eyes. Everyone thought Bush was so bad, watch, it will get worse, much worse!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,235,431 times
Quote:
78.5 percent of this country is Christian, most early settlers were Christian, not all. Some were Puritans and Pilgrims and were nonconformists. Yes, they believed in separation of church and state, but when the majority are Christian and have been for years and years, he's misrepresnting our country saying we practice other religions, when in fact those are in the minority, 21.5 percent of them. He's trying to divide our country even more.
So because Christians make up a majority, he's "misrepresenting" the country by saying we practice other religions when the fact is that we do? Congratulations on alienating about 25% of the population.

How does that translate into "trying to make the country secular" and being divisive? You also never touched on how the country was formed on Christianity. You mentioned the seperation of Church and State. This doesn't fit in with your statement about the US being founded on Christianity. If this were the case, there would be a state sanctioned religion. Which one would that be? If the country was "founded on Christianity", religion would have been addressed more often in the Constitution than it was, don't you think? And certainly the First Amendment wouldn't have expressly forbid Congress from making any laws respecting an establishment of religion.

Take your time...

Last edited by CHS89; 01-25-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 AM

2,473 posts, read 3,350,928 times
Quote:
Ed, to say a country is a "Christian Nation", 100% of it's citizens would have to be Christian. To say a country is a "Jewish Nation", 100% of it's citizens would have to be Jewish. (Israel can't even proclaim that, as there are practicing Christians, Muslims, etc who are citizens of Israel.) In a democracy, majority rules. We are a democracy & not a theocracy. If a theocracy tried for "majority rule", we'd have the Crusades & Inquisition all over again in 1 form or another (look at the Muslim extremists...).

What we're actually dealing with here is individual "comfort level". Since Christians believe a certain way, they're not "comfortable" (not saying ALL Christians), with the beliefs of Jews or Muslims or Pagans or other religions in general. Same goes for most Jews. Most Pagans. Most Muslims. etc. Beliefs are very personal, & it's hard for an individual if (s)he feels threatened by another set of beliefs. I don't want to "generalize" here...just a train of thought...

When another belief system (or lack of one also) impinges on the majority "turf" of another belief system, there's bound to be feelings of apprehension, mistrust & some malice. That's human nature. But being as our country is "supposed to" have separation of church & state, an individual belief system (no matter if it's majority or minority) can NOT believe it is the "ruling" belief system of it. That would negate any other belief systems of our country's residents as "sub-class" or "not valid".

Since our country's Jewish, Atheist, Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, Shinto, & any other belief citizens pay taxes, vote & otherwise participate in our democratic system, they have 100% of the same legal rights as the Christian majority of our country do.

The "division" comes from the mistrust & "looking down upon" of individuals from majorities onto minorities, not from a new leader who is acknowledging their validity in this country as true citizens.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,791,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
It's not just for grass.

It's also for building restrooms and other improvement projects-- projects I might add that create jobs immediately.
You don't think that there are other infastructure projects that will benefit many more americans on daily basis like BRIDGES and HIGHWAYS or WATER and SEWER projects. $200,000,000 on the National Mall seems like a waste to me, especially now. I wouldn't be dumping cash into our National Park System before Healthcare or infastructure thats for sure.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 AM

703 posts, read 1,014,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You don't think that there are other infastructure projects that will benefit many more americans on daily basis like BRIDGES and HIGHWAYS or WATER and SEWER projects. $200,000,000 on the National Mall seems like a waste to me, especially now. I wouldn't be dumping cash into our National Park System before Healthcare or infastructure thats for sure.
It's not mutually exclusive.

We are pumping hundreds of BILLIONS into infrastructure projects. The fact is that the National Mall project actually does provide stimulus for the reasons I put forth. I'm sorry that you had to relinquish your "200 million for grass" sound bite, but that's the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania