Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times

Advertisements

I understand what you're saying, but about the language thing. It annoys me that Hispanics come to this country to live and they do not learn English. If they were just visiting I could tolerate it. Yes, if I moved to France I would learn French. But you can't expect to learn a whole language just for a visit.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
That attitude gets left home. I spoke enough french to get around and it wasn't my first time traveling and certainly not my first time overseas. Everyone has their own opinions. I would rather go back to Tel Aviv and deal with bombings then go back to France.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
I would like to compliment you on your use of an ill-informed generalization to defend an even more ignorant generalization. Not many people can pull it off the way you do, Dan. Nice work.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM

Its no generalization its my opinion, I don't like the french. I did not find it to be a overly friendly country. I thought that the people were arrogant. I see no reason to go back. What is ill-informed about my opinion? Is France not being over run by illegal aliens? Or are you just assuming I was talking about hispanics? Did the United States liberate France in WWII? If the United States did not get involved in the war in Europe do you think that France could have have done it alone with its free french forces? Do you think that England alone could have liberated France?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its no generalization its my opinion, I don't like the french. I did not find it to be a overly friendly country. I thought that the people were arrogant. I see no reason to go back. What is ill-informed about my opinion? Is France not being over run by illegal aliens? Or are you just assuming I was talking about hispanics? Did the United States liberate France in WWII? If the United States did not get involved in the war in Europe do you think that France could have have done it alone with its free french forces? Do you think that England alone could have liberated France?
It's the very definition of a generalization. YOU don't like the French. YOU do not find it to be an overly friendly country. YOU thought that the people were arrogant (based on spending time in one city...). YOU see no reason to go back. And from these lawn piles of wisdom, we're all expected to just agree with you and not like France, or at least appreciate them for what and who they are? Your opinion is your own, and that's fine. But don't honestly expect anyone with half a brain to just blindly agree with you. The post reply box is way too long to enumerate the ways in which your posts on this topic are ill-informed.

Brief history lesson, though, since you clearly don't have a clue. WWII ended over 60 years ago. The US policy of non-intervention ended almost 30 years before that. It went back into effect for the most part after the First World War and lasted until the US was attacked by Japan. The US declared war on the country that attacked us, and then had war declared upon it by the countries allied with Japan at the time. Our primary goal in Europe was not simply and solely to liberate France, but rather to ally with the British (and French Resistance) and defeat Germany and Italy, our enemies at the time. As it happened, France, Holland, Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc. were also "liberated" with US assistance, as a result of that goal. Do they "owe" us anything? Where's the dislike of the Italians, who changed sides in the middle of the war, or the Poles, or the Dutch? No dislike for the Germans or Japanese?

You're still holding an unfounded grudge from a war you had absolutely nothing to do with and no personal stake in. Be your own man; don't be your grandfather.

If it wasn't for France's help in the 1770's, there probably wouldn't have been a US to "save their asses" in the first place, so that score can be considered settled, don't you think?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM

Whats the matter Paul not around to fight with? When did I ever say that it was anything more then my opinion? When did I say that I wanted or needed anyone to agree with me. The funny part is I guess that no matter where I post I guess you'll be right there to correct me, huh? Honestly its getting old trolling around looking for arguments with me, if you do not like my opinion then put me on your ignore list. My opinion is mine and no matter what you say ole smart CHS89 I don't have to nor will I like the french people but thanks for the history lesson. Bonne nuit et fais de beaux reves!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Whats the matter Paul not around to fight with?!
I'm back, but I'm through with the "fighting." I'm sick of being the "whipping boy" of the punishments/banishments all the time, so from now on I'll just put you and/or CHS89 on my "ignore list" if and when things get heated again. I care too much about the rest of this forum outside of the NEPA sub-forum to risk losing it all on account of how far this particular sub-forum has disintegrated.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Let's divert future discussion of two topics here to this thread to help "declutter" the NEPA sub-forum.

1.) Scranton politics
2.) Tolerance/diversity in NEPA

1.) weluvpa, NYRangers2008, CHS89, myself, Strateshooter, to570717, and a few others regularly banter back and forth regarding the ethics (or lackthereof) exhibited by officials in the Electric City. Let's tackle this issue in this thread until we tire ourselves out.

2.) Strateshooter and myself have just initiated what MAY become a somewhat heated discussion about gay tolerance (or lackthereof) in NEPA in another thread about the Scranton fire chief. Instead of veering that thread off-topic, he and I should debate this here.

Here's my take on both issues to get the ball rolling:

1.) I'm a know-nothing college student who is now seriously reconsidering staying in NEPA after college, so I'm going to try to refrain from ruffling feathers on this topic anymore.

2.) This area is horribly homophobic, whether those with their heads in the sand would care to admit this or not, and if this type of bigotry continues I WILL be packing my bags for the betterment of my partner and our future adopted children; NEPA's loss will be another city's gain. I don't want to raise them in an environment where their friends' parents will talk about us negatively behind our backs or where they'll be taunted in school for having "two daddies," and I wouldn't want to subject myself to political suicide in such a conservative area by running for office here in the future without having the benefit of touting "traditional family values." It's a crying shame that I had to keep my ex-boyfriend "hidden" for a year until he was discovered, and now I've kept my current boyfriend clandestine for nearly six months. I need to live in an area where I can just open up and stop having panic attacks all the time about what people say about me behind my back or about how likely my partner might be to be ridiculed at the grocery store by neighbors while I'm at the office.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM

19 posts, read 44,300 times
SWB...before I start, let me say I have NO intention of getting heated about this subject...it is what it is...and I don't let this type of subject bother me to the point that I get "heated"...no matter how many people of diversity you invite to live here, or anywhere...you'll NEVER change the majority of this area, or this nation's minds about homophobia...NEVER. It is FAR too ingrained, the mindset has already been shoved deeply into the minds of the old folks children, grandchildren, etc., etc...they're being taught weekly in their respective churches, across this entire region, that homosexuality is a sin. And no matter where you go, you'll find people who WILL talk about you for not raising kids in the traditional lifestyle. Do I, personally, think that gays should be allowed to adopt? Nope. There certainly are those who will welcome you, wherever you choose to live, but no matter how old you get to be, you, and all gays, will always have people who will find your lifestyle repulsive to them. Just so you know, I'm not at all repulsed, I just don't believe it's Biblically right. You and I are on different ends of the spectrum, period, the end. You're not going to change, and neither am I. I believe what I believe, as do you. We can certainly agree to disagree. I have gay friends, people that I enjoy spending social time with...male and female alike. My personal feelings about their choice of lifestyle does not enter into the relationships of friends. I absolutely, without question, believe that homosexuality is a sin, an abomination, and completely unnatural. I don't pretend to understand it, and never will. That doesn't mean that I judge anyone, that is for God, not me. I am no better or worse than anyone else on earth, just another human being struggling to get through life the best I can, with the Bible for my guide, living the way I've been taught. I respect each person for what they bring to the table of life, but that doesn't mean I believe they are living the way God intended. I'm not going to make this about religion, I'm just trying to be honest and tell you how and why I base my feelings about homosexuality. If you and I met, I'd treat you with respect, as long as I received it from you. I wouldn't lower myself to ever treat any human with the kinds of actions you say you've been subjected to...I'm sorry that other people feel that they have the right to behave that way. In my law enforcement career, I've seen it more than you can imagine...I've arrested a few for committing crimes that involve mistreatment of a person due to sexual orientation. I may not agree with your choices, but I would defend your right to live the way you choose.
As far as the mindset of NEPA...if you have any aspirations of living here, you already know how the people are, and always will be. Is it changing a little, yes, I guess, a little. But, for you to hope that "one day" you'll be accepted openly in this area...not in your lifetime, young man. As much as there is a movement afoot to force people to accept that lifestyle, there is as much a movement afoot, religiously speaking, to keep people aware of just what is thought about it in the traditional family lifestyle. As a nation, the ratio of people who are gay/people who think it's ok to the number who believe it is wrong is hugely in favor of homosexuality being completely wrong. This country, as a whole, is not a nation of people who readily accept the lifestyle. These are just my thoughts, not to be pushed on anyone else. I'd like to think we're both pretty decent people who just have a different opinion about this subject. Works for me. I'll look forward to your reply, just don't go getting all "heated," there's no reason to, and no reward in it.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I'm back, but I'm through with the "fighting." I'm sick of being the "whipping boy" of the punishments/banishments all the time, so from now on I'll just put you and/or CHS89 on my "ignore list" if and when things get heated again. I care too much about the rest of this forum outside of the NEPA sub-forum to risk losing it all on account of how far this particular sub-forum has disintegrated.
Nothing like a dramatic entrance to garner attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania