Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,211 times

Advertisements

What does an uncredited (wikipedia...) copy/paste have to do with Janet Evans and whether or not she's running for mayor?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
If you read to570717's previous thread, he was saying that the poster before him had no idea what a Jesuit was. I was just helping out by posting some info on it. I know it's off this thread's topic, but it was already going off course with the talk about the U of S.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM

In keeping with the hijack, it appeared to be in response to Go Phillies statement about sending their kid to "a good Catholic college...as opposed to the liberal Jesuit pseudo-Catholics at Da U."

You would have at least been better off copy/pasting this passage from the Wikipedia article
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Though there is almost no occupation in civil life, and no ministry within the Church, which a Jesuit has not held at one time or another, and though the work of the Jesuits today embraces a wide variety of apostolates and ministries, they are probably most well known for their educational work.

Since the inception of the order, Jesuits have been teachers. Today, there are Jesuit-run universities, colleges, high schools and middle or elementary schools in dozens of countries. Jesuits also serve on the faculties of both Catholic and secular schools as well.

One of the most prominent of these universities is the Gregorian University in Rome, one of the Church's key seats of learning.

In the United States, 28 Jesuit schools are organized as the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, the oldest one being Georgetown University, founded by Bishop John Carroll in 1789, and the largest Boston College. The 46 Jesuit high schools are organized as the Jesuit Secondary Education Association, and recently the Jesuits have opened a number of middle schools in neighborhoods of the poor in New York, Boston and Chicago. There are also Jesuits serving on the faculties of other Catholic colleges and universities, and they have and do serve on secular faculties, including those of Harvard, Yale and the University of Virginia, for instance.
and attributing it, rather than lazily just taking a few paragraphs from an article you Googled and copy/pasting. I think Phillies is basically aware of what a Jesuit is, but may not have been entirely aware that the Jesuits are widely recignized for their involvement in education. Being a Prep grad, Dan would be keenly aware of this fact as well. At least the above cited quote was in keeping with the tangent this thread is taking.

At the risk of junior modding, although I suspect it's too late, maybe the Jesuit bashing would be better served in it's own thread. Steering it back, sort of, to the topic at hand, Mrs. Evans the English teacher might have been forced to drop you at least one full letter grade for failing to cite your source if this had been a report. (On the internets, it's just common courtesy, especially when quoting copyrighted material such as The Scranton Times articles you're so fond of copy/pasting in their entirety.)

Back to the Janet Evans love-fest.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Sounds great to me. My shirt's already off!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 PM

37 posts, read 94,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Sounds great to me. My shirt's already off!
When all of you are voteing. keep these questions in mind!
1. who guided us out of debt? jimmy connors
2. Who put us in debt? chris doherty. to date, we are 315 million in debt.
3. Who "gladly" signed a legislature smokeing ban..that crippled bars in its 4-5 month existence? Chis doherty.
4. who hired a fashion designer to control financial and business situations? Chris doherty.
5. Who cut police and firemen in half to save money only top spend it three days later for a paint job at nayaug? chris doherty.
6. Who had his drive way plowed 7 times during the storm on valentines day? Chris doherty. Mean while the streets in the city of scranton were nearly impossible to pass.
7. Who took it upon himself to have the doherty times endorse him and pay them a "substantial" amount of money to continue the candidate bashing? Chris doherty. Ever wonder why you always see people like janet evans and aj. muchak and cordaro in the cartoon section? never fatelli and fatnucci..gee..i wonder whos to blame? oh..chris doherty.

There is seven great reasons to remind our voters to kick the living **** out doherty in 2009. Oh..yes..thats right..we may not get a chance. He made the statement...i only wanted to run for two terms after being told his opponent "maybe" janet evans. Yeah..i could smell the fear. **** doherty..and his supporters. Your going to regret backing this coward come 2009.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
In keeping with the hijack, it appeared to be in response to Go Phillies statement about sending their kid to "a good Catholic college...as opposed to the liberal Jesuit pseudo-Catholics at Da U."

You would have at least been better off copy/pasting this passage from the Wikipedia article

and attributing it, rather than lazily just taking a few paragraphs from an article you Googled and copy/pasting. I think Phillies is basically aware of what a Jesuit is, but may not have been entirely aware that the Jesuits are widely recignized for their involvement in education. Being a Prep grad, Dan would be keenly aware of this fact as well. At least the above cited quote was in keeping with the tangent this thread is taking.

At the risk of junior modding, although I suspect it's too late, maybe the Jesuit bashing would be better served in it's own thread. Steering it back, sort of, to the topic at hand, Mrs. Evans the English teacher might have been forced to drop you at least one full letter grade for failing to cite your source if this had been a report. (On the internets, it's just common courtesy, especially when quoting copyrighted material such as The Scranton Times articles you're so fond of copy/pasting in their entirety.)

You just don't like me because I'm friends with Dan, hate Doherty and support Janet Evans if she runs for mayor. You don't have to tell me how to post on the internet like I'm ignorant. I was just posting something that I thought was relevant to the thread at the time. This isn't high school and we don't graded on our posts here. A lot of people don't use perfect grammar, but we still get their point. I post articles of current news stories so the forum can give their opinion to what is going on. If there is a problem with doing that, I would of been alerted by a moderator. CHS89, you just like to always get your little personal digs in whenever posting on something you don't like. I don't know you and never personally attacked you, so why must you comment everytime you feel something is wrong here? Just wondering. Have a nice day!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You just don't like me because I'm friends with Dan, hate Doherty and support Janet Evans if she runs for mayor.
Oh, grow the hell up and get a thicker skin, crybaby. You echo the call for bringing facts to a debate, although in this discussion (not a debate) you couldn't even be bothered to bring anything RELEVANT . You copy/pasted a few paragraphs, highlighting your ignorance (it really doesn't take a lot of brains to Google a Wikipedia article). Do you have any thoughts of your own on Jesuits?

Support whoever you want in an elections, and be friends with whoever you want to be friends with. But if you're going to pretend to know something about a subject, at least post something useful.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 AM

You always do this. You personally attack people when nothing was said to you or about you. Still licking your wounds from that debate with Dan over the minutes of the council meeting being correct. I just checked the minutes that Dan posted from the thread earlier in the week against the meeting I recorded on DVD from 7/19/07 and they are accurate to the word. He gave you an answer from the beginning, but you continued that thread with nonsense and attacking for no reason other than the fact that Dan was right and you had nothing else to bring to the table. Have a nice day

Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Let's say Janet becomes Mayor in 2009 and that the City Council stays the same, except for the vancany left by Janet. Would Janet as Mayor be able to get anything done with that City Council? Isn't she already the dissenting vote on most of the measures, so won't the rest keep on voting against anything she wants to do?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:08 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
The chances of the council staying the same are slim to none. Gatelli and Fanucci will never get relected, it just won't happen, neither one of them as brought anything of any substance to council. Fanucci likes to laugh and giggle like a child and Judy has no respect for anyone. I have talked to people that have said that they would vote for Doherty again but they would never allow those idiots to get relected. Judy has done more damage to the mayors admin then he has himself. Not a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania