Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
But good lord, get used to it already.

http://www.theamericandissident.org/LitToon-UncleSam.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
http://www.theamericandissident.org/LitToon-UncleSam.jpg (broken link)
http://joellemcgonagleart.com/graphics/uncle_sam.jpg (broken link)
I think if there is something we're unhappy with, we should voice our displeasure. We shouldn't follow like sheep, right Dan?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Here's another lousy thing about Dunmore....their DPW......I remember their garbage collection being lousy, they usually will not take anything besides regular household garbage bags, as you can see in this article from today's paper, they're throwing a fit about people leaving large items out for pickup. I have never had that problem in Scranton. The garbage pickup here has been excellent, they'll take pretty much anything you leave out for them, and our garbage collection fee of $178/year is lower than most other towns around here.
The Times-Tribune - Dunmore getting fed up with big-ticket garbage
Thanks for the info Mr.Krabs, I will make sure hubby reads this thread. You know the same info from another source sometimes carries more weight. LOl, what can I say...he is my polish prince!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I think if there is something we're unhappy with, we should voice our displeasure. We shouldn't follow like sheep, right Dan?
With all due respect though, people like Fay Franus, Les Spindler, Andy Sbaraglia, Ozzie Quinn, Nancy Krake, etc. have been approaching the city council podium each and every week for how many years now complaining about the same exact issues, yet when was the last time anything they said was taken into serious consideration? At some point you just have to have the attitude of CHS89 and think "It's not perfect, but would I rather huff and puff every week at the podium to no avail or just use my time more constructively?" I can't really understand half of what Mr. Quinn says anyways, God love him, and he loses all credibility in my eyes when he tries to imply that a certain councilwoman is related to people who she claims to have no direct relation to.

I only ever approached the podium once, since I knew I was out-of-line as a non-city resident, but I did so because I had what I thought was a great idea to help the city in the long-term. When council was negotiating with the University of Scranton nearly one year ago to either increase their PILOT or somehow plea for other "gifts," I suggested a pay-for-stay program in which the campus could offer free or reduced tuition for one or two years (potentially with state backing) in exchange for these students signing a contract agreeing to stay and live in the city for "X" number of years after graduation and/or being liable for a portion of the repayment based upon how soon they voided the contract by moving out of the city after graduation. As a demographics junkie I know that a sudden spike in the proportion of people holding college degrees and living in the city as per the U.S. Census Bureau would look more attractive to potential high-skilled employers, attracting more here to employ those underemployed. My idea was well-received by council, and Ms. Gatelli (the horrid woman she apparently is), even invited me to lunch with her to discuss the proposal in greater detail. I was the one who declined after further research into the proposal found out that the cost-benefit relationship to "bribing" students to stay in host cities after graduation in order to lift economies was very questionable, at best, as those case studies I had examined hadn't been around long enough. Scranton doesn't have the type of money to burn to "risk" on something like that, so I let it die. Why do you think I was so well-received? I didn't preface my comments with something nasty, nor did I add venom when leaving the podium. I did stutter a lot because I had never before been in front of a television camera and was petrified, but otherwise I made my point in a respectful manner. Perhaps if more council regulars would show a little RESPECT for council, the same would be returned to them?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I can't really understand half of what Mr. Quinn says anyways, God love him, and he loses all credibility in my eyes when he tries to imply that a certain councilwoman is related to people who she claims to have no direct relation to.

Actually Paul she is related to the gentlemen in question but if she admitted to it in public then she would not be able to say that she voted fairly while on the planning commission. Trust me the other side of her family is not very happy about her actions. I have said it in the past Paul you are observing from the outside and really have no idea the connections or relations that go on in the city. You see council meetings once a week but you have no idea. Mr. Quinn has worked for the city and has seen what goes on. He was also with the SRA for years and is very knowledgable and up to date on the workings of OECD and HUD.

Please save the "respect for council" crap for someone else Paul. You have no idea what blatant disrespect those council members have for the residents of the city. If they cared about the people of this city even a little then we would not be in the debt that we are in. They could easily vote against at least one thing that mayor is pushing and they could try a little to curb some of the spending, but they don't and you know why Paul? Because they DON"T CARE. By the way Judy was pandering to you Paul, there is no way in hell that she would ever in a million years approach the U for more money or with anything that would require them spending money. Your kidding yourself and amusing me by thinking that you actually exist or matter to Judy........It was your first time at the podium and they had no idea who you are so of course they are going to pander to you, they are politicians.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
I have met Ozzie a few times at council meetings and to me he seems to know what is wrong with this city and what needs to be fixed. Like Dan said, he has worked for the city and knows what is going on. This council constantly votes in favor of the mayor and ignores how the citizens of Scranton feel. This is evident from the meetings I have witnessed. They would rather vote for something that the mayor wants, instead of thinking about how it would impact the tax payers of this city. They claim they love their city and crow about how they care, but in reality they don't or they wouldn't vote that way. They just care about their cushy jobs and their lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania