U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Thumbs down Another Pittston Drug Bust Nets 33 More Arrests; Is NEPA Losing the "War on Drugs?"

I must say that it's sad that my hometown of Pittston, with a population of just 7,500, has just had yet another major drug bust with 33 criminals apprehended in "Operation Hometown." The suspects, who were not affilliated with each other in a single organized ring, were dealing heroin and cocaine.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett was quoted in the Scranton Times-Tribune as saying "Like many Pennsylvania towns, an influx of drugs and drug-related activity can cause serious quality of life issues for residents. This investigation targeted the problem head-on, and we have successfully put a significant dent in the Pittston drug trade."

Take a drive through Pittston and it's blatantly obvious that drugs have overrun Tomato Town. What used to be a gorgeous hub of 21,000 residents, anchored by a movie theater, JCPenney, Woolworth's, etc. is now collapsing in on itself. Most of my 2005 graduating class from Pittston Area has either left Pittston or plans to do so shortly, including myself. Entire neighborhoods are deteriorating. Many homes are absolutely disgusting. While most of the "old" homes in Scranton, West Pittston, Wilkes-Barre, Forty Fort, and many other local communities may be characterized as "quaint," most of those in Pittston are advertised by local realtors as needing "TLC." I've posted photos of the deteriorated conditions of Pittston on here in the past, and they likely dropped many jaws for sure for those who hadn't been here in a number of years.

What, if anything, can Pittston and NEPA in general do to eradicate the drug trade from strangling its economic vitality? Drugs are everywhere---I'm posting this major drug bust on the heels of posting another story about major drug issues plaguing the relatively affluent Abington Heights area. Obviously local law enforcement officials are doing their jobs in apprehending these people, but others just jump in to fill their void.

Mugshots: http://scrantontimestribune.com/projects/hometown.pdf

What should we do?

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 12-22-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: better to post link to the article...

Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 AM

2,585 posts, read 1,515,448 times
Not to sound like an arse...but are you surprised Nepa is on the losing end of the "war" on drugs? The country as a whole has be wagging this expensive "war" for two decades at least with no signs of even getting a foot hold on the problem.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 AM

2,938 posts, read 899,710 times
My solution is death penalty for drug dealers, and no penalty for users. Dry up the supply and the demand will go away. Stop jailing people for using, but make drug rehab mandatory. And take these dealers and hang them from the nearest tree. Then these scumbags might think twice before deciding on a career in "street pharmaceutical sales."

Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,612,502 times
The war on drugs has been lost on a national level so why would you assume that we have the resources or the ability to fight it here and win.

The local PD's are to busy violating the rights of the law abiding citizens.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM

934 posts, read 1,906,636 times
Did you see how some of those people that got arrested were smiling in their mug shot photo? What a joke... these people need to be taught a lesson. If we were harder on criminals then maybe we wouldn't have these problems.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM

620 posts, read 1,324,306 times
It is nice to see so many replies I resonate with...I think the war on drugs is seriously misguided...it is bloating our prisons and over-burdening our law enforcement. I think we should call the whole thing off and allow each person to take responsibility for their life and safety...I think we'd all be surprised at how quickly a lot of our social problems would crumble and fall away once the government stopped trying to control everyone.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,274,494 times
Agree totally with weluvpa and mermanmike - that war was lost a long, long time ago.

But it DOES offer some lucrative funding for enforcement agencies and the riff-raff (lawyers, clerks, etc.) associated with it.

Make it all legal - hell, GIVE it away. Evolution will take care of the rest.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 AM

7,459 posts, read 10,863,512 times
ScranBarre wrote:
Another Pittston Drug Bust Nets 33 More Arrests; Is NEPA Losing the "War on Drugs?"
IMO, a war of any kind can NEVER be won. WAR is a complete waste of human energy. It's an old concept that has absolutely no benefit to mankind whatsoever.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,274,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Like Denis Leary once said...the solution is not less drugs, but MORE drugs, and give them to the right #$@% people!

Natural selection.....
Heh - didn't know he'd said that - cool!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,011,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Did you see how some of those people that got arrested were smiling in their mug shot photo? What a joke... these people need to be taught a lesson. If we were harder on criminals then maybe we wouldn't have these problems.
They all need to rot in freaken prison, i'm so sick of scumbags selling drugs, lock em up and throw away the key. I have no patience for any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania