U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM

325 posts, read 526,614 times
Default Question about Genesis Wildlife Center

According to what I've read in the Scranton Times, before bringing animals to Nay Aug Park, the Genesis Wildlife Center had a private animal sanctuary in the Poconos. Does anyone know if the GWC still has any sort of animal facility in the Poconos? Have all of the center's animals been moved into the old Scranton Zoo building, or do they still have some animals in the Poconos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM

4,084 posts, read 5,467,431 times
I always thought that they had both.. I checked and it seems that they did move the animals from Pocono Lake to Nay Aug. Their phone is Scranton as well as the address on their corp papers.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I always thought that they had both.. I checked and it seems that they did move the animals from Pocono Lake to Nay Aug. Their phone is Scranton as well as the address on their corp papers.
I've seen a Tobyhanna address for them in some places (like on the list of facilities with USDA exhibitor's licenses).

Old 05-20-2008, 02:45 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,167,139 times
They had two buildings, in I want to say Swiftwater, but to the best of my knowledge that facility was sold.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
They had two buildings, in I want to say Swiftwater, but to the best of my knowledge that facility was sold.

I have seen a Swiftwater address mentioned a couple of times, so I think you're right about the location. Thanks very much!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM

I know what you're getting at, and no, I don't think they have anywhere to move the animals if they decided to vacate Nay Aug. In either case though, I would have to figure that they need at least a temporary shelter during the probably year or more it will take to build the new zoo.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I know what you're getting at, and no, I don't think they have anywhere to move the animals if they decided to vacate Nay Aug. In either case though, I would have to figure that they need at least a temporary shelter during the probably year or more it will take to build the new zoo.
You're right--I am concerned about where they would move the animals if they left Nay Aug. But that isn't the only reason I asked if they have another facility in the Poconos (or anywhere else, for that matter). I have some other concerns too--for example, in light of the recent problems with the tiger, I'm wondering if they might have facilities somewhere that could be used to quarantine sick animals.

You said, above, "the probably year or more it will take to build the new zoo." Do you know if they've gotten the $10 million grant? (I haven't seen anything about it in the paper, but I could have missed it.)

Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM

The grant money is promised but the final say is up to Rendel, he is the one who distributes it.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The grant money is promised but the final say is up to Rendel, he is the one who distributes it.

I know the article that the Scranton Times ran said that Gov. Rendell would be deciding which projects in the RACP "wish list" will actually get funded. I was just wondering if a decision re the zoo had been made. But it sounds as if it hasn't, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania