Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
For those not in the know, Stookeys BBQ, while good in its own right, is NOTHING like the "southern" or "Texas" BBQ that people are generally used to.
That's exactly what makes Stookey's so wonderful! It's a 'clear' sauce, not tomato based; the meat is shredded after being smoked in apple wood; the sauce has a somewhat garlic, vinegar flavor and a somehwat peppery 'bite'. and you'll never leave dissatisfied or disappointed.....the pork 'wet' goes great with a bag of chips and chocolate milk....heh....
Your palate won't suffer that cloying, too-often overly smoked flavoring that some SW BarbQ possesses...yuck. The best southern style tomato based BBQ I've had has been in Maryland at a BBQ pit place off I-95; also some in Gainesville FL.

In the meantime, poor old Nanticoke is geting some relief. Luzerne County Community College will install an EMT training center there, there's a new
industrial park slated---Whitney Pointe--- and some new housing for seniors. They are also acting upon Nanticoke's dire financial position with mechanisms to set it right being implemented.

There's a fair chance that Nanticoke will show progress. Don't count it out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 PM

96 posts, read 583,170 times
well there is a lack of trees in the town, I think that is something that should be addressed, but there are several 100year old + trees around. There is one right on main E. Main street, the thing is GIANT probably as old as the town... Also, there is some very nice "green" about town in the springtime. many places you do see some new trees, though there needs to be more. Looking around the city, you see how many people take pride by how nice the lawns and gardens are.

I don't think that Nanticoke will ever be as it once was, but I do think things are improving there today, and will keep doing so. I think it will get better again. it will probably be different, maybe not as good as it once was, but things will evolve.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 AM

29 posts, read 133,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
The best southern style tomato based BBQ I've had has been in Maryland at a BBQ pit place off I-95; also some in Gainesville FL.
I just have to put in my comment on BBQ...my favorite is in North Carolina at Lexington BBQ...the place is packed all the time and serves its bbq on paper plates with slaw and hushpuppies...if anyone is down that way...you have to try it!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,166 times
Default Nanticoke sucks

Perhaps the date of this post is untimely, but having stumbled across it while meandering the internet, I found adding a post iresistable. I moved to Nanticoke about 2 years ago. Back then, I was entering the area with a different mindset. I was not prepared for the mentality of people from the area.To be quite blatant: the area is full of scumbags. I have never mingled with so many pessamisstic, drug addicted, untrustworthy creatons in all my life.

I am from West Virginia, and we are much friendlier than what I have seen here. I would say that a lot of people are just plain old miserable with their lives and only gain joy from the dismay of others. I have never met so many drug addicts in all my life (and I lived in northern Virginia for a while). Apparently the dark cloud that hangs over Nanticoke is too thick to let the light in for some, and the succumbing to abuse is their only saving grace. I was much more trustworthy before moving here, but have found myself not having much faith in people anymore. Don't let your guard down or you may regret it.

The streets are in dire disrepair and potholes seem like bear traps to the wheels of your car, with exceptional damage to small cars. The buildings are old and dilapidated with some standing empty; apparently no one has the motivation nor the resources to bring them down.

I digress. I am tired of writing about this town. Trust me on this. Nanticoke sucks.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
I always have a good laugh when I hear people call the town "Nanny-coke." (a kupple-too-tree miles down da line)

Nanticoke kind of strikes me as a depressing place....kind of like Luzerne County's answer to Carbondale. Although I would probably rather even live in Carbondale than Nanticoke.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

98 posts, read 378,367 times
Nanticoke sucks. Roads suck real bad, economically depressed even more than the surrounding towns, housing market worse than the surrounding area, schools really suck.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 583,170 times
Well I think that a pessimist will have a pessimistic view of the city. I have lived there for 2.5 years, (I am originally from Philadelphia) and I do not share these viewpoints at all. Many of the houses are nice, and while there are many aspects of the city that are far from being optimum, I think things are on the upturn. Also, just look through my Phototour of Nanticoke. There are plenty of places that are in very nice condition, and not that much blight (compare Nanticoke to.. say Tamaqua, or Glen Lyon) One thing I do find interesting about some Nanticoke residents is that the "doom and gloom" ones are often times the most vocal. People who think "everyone" is on drugs, and that everyone in the city "gain joy from the dismay of others" should move away, as these are not the people who are going to help the city forward, they are the ones who are going to drag it down.

City of Nanticoke Photo Tour

The city is only what people make of it. If people are not going to get involved with making things better, and are just going to trashtalk the place they should go move to Dallas, spend 5X as much for real estate, and rather than deal with the occasional trashy person, deal with the stuck up folks. take your pick.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
If people are not going to get involved with making things better, and are just going to trashtalk the place they should go move to Dallas, spend 5X as much for real estate, and rather than deal with the occasional trashy person, deal with the stuck up folks. take your pick.
I never understood why New Yorkers drooled so much over the Back Mountain.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 AM

201 posts, read 538,800 times
Default Nanticoke

I also lived in Nanticoke for a while many years ago. I did not like it very much. Some very strange people there. I also know many that currently live there and do not have nice things to say. I am sure, like every where else, it depends on what kind of neighbors you get stuck by. They can make life a living hell. I am not sure how gay friendly they are either. I grew up a few miles up the road in Hanover and I find it to be much friendlier in every aspect. Any place you go there is going to be issues. Some worse then others. One thing that cracks me up about Nanticoke is in the winter time when everyone has chairs out on the road. The guy across from me used to drag an old washer out. That was so funny. I am glad that I am at a dead end now and do not have to worry about parking. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck to you and hope your mom does better.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM

98 posts, read 378,367 times
Come on SWB. It’s obvious why certain areas are preferred over others. Not counting the fact that people want to buy in the preferred markets for the investment reasons, the back mountain offers a more rural, spacious, and better looking area plain and simple.

From someone who grew up in Wyoming Valley, there clearly is a hierarchy of preferred towns. For example, I am in the market right now as an out of town investment property for myself. The first thing I told the realty was that I was not interested in Nanticoke to Plymouth to Edwardsville. AND I GREW UP IN EDWARDSVILLE. Although there are select streets or areas in each of those towns that are nicer than the rest, they still are the bottom of the list of all the valley has to offer. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania