U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,246,250 times
Default How's Nanticoke??

First, thank you all for the info we've been finding on these threads!! We are looking to move to NEPA and there's 1 town I haven't seen much info on...Nanticoke.

My grandparents lived there & my mom grew up there, so any info would be appreciated!!
Thanks & Happy New Year!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,657,167 times
Hi :-)
Well, as far as I know, is Nanticoke a smaller, sleepy town. Not much going on there, and quiet. But, it is right by 81, which is a convinience thing. I don't really hear much about crime there or anything, but I am sure it is happening there as well as everywhere else.
I know it is an old town, and surrounded by former mine fields. I am sure other people will know more about it ?
Good luck on your move. :-)

Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,344,619 times
Very nice intact town "green" and some nice big homes. Quite a few vacant
buildings...not much happening. Very close to the Community College, plus coal breakers and "culm" piles.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Very nice intact town "green" and some nice big homes. Quite a few vacant
buildings...not much happening. Very close to the Community College, plus coal breakers and "culm" piles.
Not to sound stupid, but what are coal breakers and culm piles??? Also what do you mean by "green"??

I have not been to the area in 40 years so I am clueless to these terms

Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,255,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Not to sound stupid, but what are coal breakers and culm piles??? Also what do you mean by "green"??

I have not been to the area in 40 years so I am clueless to these terms
Much has changed in the area...and in Nanticoke in those forty years....

Nanticoke has shriveled from 30,000 + to under 15,000 souls....the old downtown is no longer there....stores like the Leader Store, Neisner's five & dime and so forth, long forgotten......there is a CVS, a pizza place, a mini-mart or two, an ancient news/smoke shop and that's about it......comparatively barren.

The 'green' referred to above is a city 'square' or park that has held up well up on Green St., Market St., etc. there are some old shops around there, some eating places...it's pleasant enough but out-dated. I think that Diamond's Candy Store is still there.....

My (late) mother was born in Nanticoke, many moons ago. At the time it was a wonderful small city with amiable people, all community minded and well meaning. People semed to be terribly friendly and helpful to one another....'salt of the earth'.

I believe that plans are in the works to help revivify Nanticoke...something called the South Valley Plan, with trails, parkways, housing and retail in the mix. Real estate is quite reasonable there, as I understand it and Nanticoke is convenient to the rest of Wyoming Valley and I-81...on which you can scoot to Scranton in twenty minutes easily.....

Culm banks are piles of coal, slag and what-have-you left over from mining operations. There are far fewer of these around the valley than there had been and much of the coal lands are subject to reclamation and re-use.

There's only one coal breaker left in the area to my knowledge (defunct) near Ashley w/s/w of Wilkes-Barre near the Nanticoke exit of I-81; they're trying to preserve it as a museum. Coal breakers were used to separate coal by size after it was blasted in the tunnels, brought up and processed for fuel consumption. At one time there were 'breaker boys" or children that were posted where the coal was brought up to the top of chutes. Their job was to separate it and send it down the chutes.....didn't pay much either but brought some money back to the family........later automation took their place and child labor laws forbade the practice......

Hence the expression,"Oh, Chute".....

(yes, I am kidding, but the rest is true enough....)

Last edited by WasPA; 01-03-2007 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: misspelling, typo

Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,317,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
First, thank you all for the info we've been finding on these threads!! We are looking to move to NEPA and there's 1 town I haven't seen much info on...Nanticoke.

My grandparents lived there & my mom grew up there, so any info would be appreciated!!
Thanks & Happy New Year!!!
Nanticoke is your typical economically-struggling former mining community in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Communities of similar reference and size would be Pittston and Carbondale. Basically, most of the residents commute to work in either Wilkes-Barre, the Hanover Industrial Park, or the Crestwood Industrial Park, all of which are within a 15-minute commute. Scranton is a bit more than just twenty minutes away, as someone else had said---It's more like a half-hour. Nanticoke itself is along the Susquehanna River but sits "high-and-dry." Just across the river, West Nanticoke floods quite frequently, so I'd avoid that area at all costs!

There isn't much in the way of crime in Nanticoke. There's a lot of alcoholism and drug addiction in the town, but, in general, those who are sitting and boozing it up in the corner bars with a cigarette or are "getting high" in their bedrooms aren't hurting anyone else. What Nanticoke, Pittston, and Carbondale all have in common is that they all have crumbling, deteriorating downtown districts. If you haven't been to Nanticoke in 40 years, you'll be sad at what you'll see in the downtown---very little vibrancy, if any. The town is home to Luzerne County Community College, and, in general, the community is very grid-shaped, which makes it easy to navigate if you get lost.

Besides the main portion of town, there are two other neighborhoods as well. "Honey Pot" is located near to the river, and is home to little more than a volunteer fire company and a spattering of older homes. "Hanover" (not to be confused with neighboring Hanover Township), is located in the area of Luzerne County Community College (LCCC). There's also "Sheatown" which borders the city limits in nearby Newport Township. This area is a former coal "patch town" with just some older homes and bar or two.

In general, much of the population in the city is elderly, and, correspondingly, the housing stock in Nanticoke is older and in need of cosmetic updating. You could find a very liveable home in the city limits for a reasonable price (Perhaps $75,000), and then just add your own personal touches, such as some new vinyl siding, a fresh coat of paint, new landscaping, etc. to have a great home for around $100,000. Kosciuszko Street, to my knowledge, is the only street in America to be home to separate school facilities that house grades K-College. Just think of all of the poor souls who grew up near that street and were stuck being just blocks from their parents until they were 20!

There has been talk for years and years about downtown revitalization, but just like Pittston and Carbondale, the community hasn't pushed forward yet to make these "dreams" a reality. At least in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, major progress in their downtowns can be easily-identified. In places like Nanticoke, you just have to stand and look at Main Street and shed a tear.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 AM

Default How's Nanticoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Much has changed in the area...and in Nanticoke in those forty years....

Nanticoke has shriveled from 30,000 + to under 15,000 souls....the old downtown is no longer there....stores like the Leader Store, Neisner's five & dime and so forth, long forgotten......there is a CVS, a pizza place, a mini-mart or two, an ancient news/smoke shop and that's about it......comparatively barren.

The 'green' referred to above is a city 'square' or park that has held up well up on Green St., Market St., etc. there are some old shops around there, some eating places...it's pleasant enough but out-dated. I think that Diamond's Candy Store is still there.....

My (late) mother was born in Nanticoke, many moons ago. At the time it was a wonderful small city with amiable people, all community minded and well meaning. People semed to be terribly friendly and helpful to one another....'salt of the earth'.

I believe that plans are in the works to help revivify Nanticoke...something called the South Valley Plan, with trails, parkways, housing and retail in the mix. Real estate is quite reasonable there, as I understand it and Nanticoke is convenient to the rest of Wyoming Valley and I-81...on which you can scoot to Scranton in twenty minutes easily.....

Culm banks are piles of coal, slag and what-have-you left over from mining operations. There are far fewer of these around the valley than there had been and much of the coal lands are subject to reclamation and re-use.

There's only one coal breaker left in the area to my knowledge (defunct) near Ashley w/s/w of Wilkes-Barre near the Nanticoke exit of I-81; they're trying to preserve it as a museum. Coal breakers were used to separate coal by size after it was blasted in the tunnels, brought up and processed for fuel consumption. At one time there were 'breaker boys" or children that were posted where the coal was brought up to the top of chutes. Their job was to separate it and send it down the chutes.....didn't pay much either but brought some money back to the family........later automation took their place and child labor laws forbade the practice......

Hence the expression,"Oh, Chute".....

(yes, I am kidding, but the rest is true enough....)
Thanks for all the info!! My grandfather was a miner and lived in the Honeypot (still to this day can't get over the name!! )area.

I've found a nice house there that's reasonable, but my mom's dying of cancer (I take care of her 24/7) so I can't move her now so it may be a bit til we can move as I can't afford to keep 2 houses going...

Thanks again & have a great weekend!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Nanticoke is your typical economically-struggling former mining community in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Communities of similar reference and size would be Pittston and Carbondale. Basically, most of the residents commute to work in either Wilkes-Barre, the Hanover Industrial Park, or the Crestwood Industrial Park, all of which are within a 15-minute commute. Scranton is a bit more than just twenty minutes away, as someone else had said---It's more like a half-hour. Nanticoke itself is along the Susquehanna River but sits "high-and-dry." Just across the river, West Nanticoke floods quite frequently, so I'd avoid that area at all costs!

There isn't much in the way of crime in Nanticoke. There's a lot of alcoholism and drug addiction in the town, but, in general, those who are sitting and boozing it up in the corner bars with a cigarette or are "getting high" in their bedrooms aren't hurting anyone else. What Nanticoke, Pittston, and Carbondale all have in common is that they all have crumbling, deteriorating downtown districts. If you haven't been to Nanticoke in 40 years, you'll be sad at what you'll see in the downtown---very little vibrancy, if any. The town is home to Luzerne County Community College, and, in general, the community is very grid-shaped, which makes it easy to navigate if you get lost.

Besides the main portion of town, there are two other neighborhoods as well. "Honey Pot" is located near to the river, and is home to little more than a volunteer fire company and a spattering of older homes. "Hanover" (not to be confused with neighboring Hanover Township), is located in the area of Luzerne County Community College (LCCC). There's also "Sheatown" which borders the city limits in nearby Newport Township. This area is a former coal "patch town" with just some older homes and bar or two.

In general, much of the population in the city is elderly, and, correspondingly, the housing stock in Nanticoke is older and in need of cosmetic updating. You could find a very liveable home in the city limits for a reasonable price (Perhaps $75,000), and then just add your own personal touches, such as some new vinyl siding, a fresh coat of paint, new landscaping, etc. to have a great home for around $100,000. Kosciuszko Street, to my knowledge, is the only street in America to be home to separate school facilities that house grades K-College. Just think of all of the poor souls who grew up near that street and were stuck being just blocks from their parents until they were 20!

There has been talk for years and years about downtown revitalization, but just like Pittston and Carbondale, the community hasn't pushed forward yet to make these "dreams" a reality. At least in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, major progress in their downtowns can be easily-identified. In places like Nanticoke, you just have to stand and look at Main Street and shed a tear.
Thank you Paul!! You helped me a bit when I was asking about Carbondale!! I'm sure I'll be asking you many more questions in the future!!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 PM

96 posts, read 382,631 times
Well I actually recently moved to Nanticoke, and it really is an interesting town. Like most people have said, crime is very minimal, about the worst you generally hear of is someone picked up on pubic drunkenness. I agree with most of what was said about the area, the downtown area of Nanticoke is in some sorry shape, mainly due to the fact that it's such a short commute and you are in the shopping wonderland of Wilkes-Barre township. Really hard for smaller Nanticoke to compete seriously with places like that. There are things in the works to help bring things back, but we'll see.

The reason I moved there was the prices. I ended up getting a 3 unit house (over 3500 sq feet) for $48,000. it needed a lot of work but after some paint and general restorations the place is awesome. Easily a $400,000 house in a better market. I even rented out the left hand side, that basically pays the mortgage. (I keep the other 2 units for myself).

The type of people in the town are quite an interesting mix from what I have seen. The street I live on is a double block (E.Main street), so each house has 2 or 3 families living in it depending on how the house is arranged. The people who rent my next door unit are a family of 4, very nice. My next door neighbor on the far left is a single lady, very friendly and nice with 2 kids, the left one are some college students who rent and attend LCCC. further left you have an nice older Polish lady and her husband, they have lived there for 20 years, probably in the city since birth. to the far right but in the same house is a Mexican family who own the double. they bought it outright about a year ago when the old landlord got too old to handle the rental anymore, the house is in really nice condition and they have fixed it up and kept it very nicely. I see her outside sweeping the sidewalks and pulling weeds all the time. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet live there.

Interestingly enough, It seems that much of the really older population is dropping off (dieing) and there are a lot of 30-40 year olds moving in because of the attractive pricing. Since the prices are so low that almost anyone can own a house, it seems that when these people move in they really get it in them to fix things up and fix the problems with the town. I think in about 5-15 years time, Nanticoke might be one of the best places to live in the area. I'd say get in before prices go up... I got my house for just $48,000 but when I have looked recently on realtor.com, the prices do seem to have already started to climb, especially for the larger houses.

When you roll in from 29 on east main street and drive down the street it's a bit depressing because so much needs to be done, but things are getting done and people are fixing things up. the town has started in an upward swing from what I have seen from the new infusion of younger folks, but it needs some more people who can fix stuff up and get their houses looking nice. that sort of thing will only inspire more people to do the same.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 AM

414 posts, read 1,255,292 times
^^ How interesting...thanks for the bird's eye insights!

Do you cross the river to eat at Stookey's BarBQue?; the 'pork', "wet"? If so, I envy you to pieces...If not...GO!

Nice to know that crime isn't a factor in Nanticoke and that there is some hope for the sweet old place...... I'm old enough to recall taking a trolley from Nanticoke to Wilkes-Barre, shopping with my Mom and aunt. I was a little kid. Downtown Nanticoke had plenty of stores but DT Wilkes-Barre had 4 department stores, theaters, eateries galore, small shops for every whim and sidewaalks thronged with busy people

We lived elsewhere, but my aunt lived on Orchard St. in a large comfortable house with a plush library that was the domain of her husband a gentleman farmer (farm in Stillwater) with stores in Nanticoke and elsewhere....

I read last week that Nanticoke has adopted a financial recovery plan to get the city back on its feet fiscally...here's hoping!

And best of luck to you. Those prices are attractive....you won't lose, all in all and meantime you'll have housed yourself comfortably and sensibly.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania