Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM

138 posts, read 369,498 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable Pennsylvanians in this forum so I thought I seek some advice to my problem. I bought a home in Jim Thorpe, PA in March 2007 and love the home, community and neighbors. I am currently still living in NYC but due to stresses of city life would love to relocate. However, I am going to be frank , the pay in PA is quite low compared to what I am getting paid now. I am wondering what kind of work can I do either from home or near by Jim Thorpe, PA that will at least bring in 40k-45k. I would love to move my daughter (10 yrs old) out of the city grind and give her a peaceful childhood.

I am studying to be a teacher but have noticed some of the pay is a bit low. Is there a school district in PA (close to Jim Thorpe, PA) that will be decent?
Any advice would be appreciated.

- Acevaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
when you find a job like that let everyone else know too....

Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
I know there are a lot of knowledgeable Pennsylvanians in this forum so I thought I seek some advice to my problem. I bought a home in Jim Thorpe, PA in March 2007 and love the home, community and neighbors. I am currently still living in NYC but due to stresses of city life would love to relocate. However, I am going to be frank , the pay in PA is quite low compared to what I am getting paid now. I am wondering what kind of work can I do either from home or near by Jim Thorpe, PA that will at least bring in 40k-45k. I would love to move my daughter (10 yrs old) out of the city grind and give her a peaceful childhood.

I am studying to be a teacher but have noticed some of the pay is a bit low. Is there a school district in PA (close to Jim Thorpe, PA) that will be decent?
Any advice would be appreciated.

- Acevaz
Good luck with that...I took a $12,000 a year paycut to move out here!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Yes, the pay isn't as good in NEPA as it is in NYC. But there are some areas in NEPA that are good to live in. You can move up here and get a cheaper house, so the drop in pay won't seem as bad.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 AM

problem is just about everything else but the house and taxes is about the same. college,food,fuel,medical , utilities etc are within a few percent of what i pay in new york. the difference in pay just dosnt cut it. still much to much disparity to pack it in full time yet and move to nepa. the 60% dfference in pay is way to low as i figured out we can live on about 30% less than new york

Old 05-28-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
problem is just about everything else but the house and taxes is about the same. college,food,fuel,medical , utilities etc are within a few percent of what i pay in new york. the difference in pay just dosnt cut it. still much to much disparity to pack it in full time yet and move to nepa. the 60% dfference in pay is way to low as i figured out we can live on about 30% less than new york
Exactly....everyone says "Ohh, but the cost of living is SO much lower!". All THAT means is you get more house for your money. But a $250,000 house is a $250,000 house whether it's in NJ or out here (ok, well, minus the crazy taxes ), and the cost of everything else-- food, gas, doctor, etc., is pretty much the same! In FACT, gas is cheaper in Jersey! lol. (not that that would make me ever consider leaving beautiful NEPA to go back! ).....but anyway, I just don't understand where people are getting that the cost of living is so much cheaper out here, so it "evens out" with the lower salary. No. It doesn't.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Gas may be cheaper in NJ.....but food is way cheaper in NE PA than in NJ, NY, Philly, MD, etc.

Plus, property taxes are much lower here than in NJ.

And the lower price of real estate in itself is BIG. You couldn't rent a shed in NJ/NY for what I pay for my 3 bedroom house with a 2-car garage and a good-sized yard in Scranton.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Gas may be cheaper in NJ.....but food is way cheaper in NE PA than in NJ, NY, Philly, MD, etc.

Plus, property taxes are much lower here than in NJ.

And the lower price of real estate in itself is BIG. You couldn't rent a shed in NJ/NY for what I pay for my 3 bedroom house with a 2-car garage and a good-sized yard in Scranton.
Oh yes, on the house prices and taxes I totally agree....but I have not noticed food being cheaper out here than it was in both Jersey where I grew up and outside of Philly where I lived right before coming here. Maybe that's because of the sudden rise in food costs? (so I'm pretty much paying here what I was paying there, but if I was there I'd be paying a lot more than I was when I lived there. )

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Food is cheaper than food on Long Island. Over the weekend I paid about $60 for maybe 6-7 bags of groceries. Here on Long island that would have been over $100.

Insurance is also cheaper ; our home in NEPA costs about $280 per year, here my house is over $1300 ; yes its bigger, but not 5 times bigger and it didnt cost 5 times more than NEPA.
d

Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Still cant make due on 1/2 the wages no matter what. like i said maybe 30% less but not 1/2..... not for our lifestyle anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania