Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Fastest growing real estate markets, Scranton Pennsylvania, change in foreclosure rate, one year and five year price change, twelve month forecast, median home price, local demographic research

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM

98 posts, read 378,514 times

Advertisements

Its not that the area hasnt been hit..........its that no one is buying. if nothing is selling then there is no data to show that values are or should be dropping. I still say the agents in the Valley are listing homes are rediculous prices. I wonder what the average age on listings is. I have been looking for almost a year and i have seen the majority of the homes just sitting there on the MLS. So, the homes are definatley worth less in this market but no one is closing any deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Saw a news clip yesterday and they said that get an idea of what you think your house is worth and then drop it down fifteen to twenty percent and that is probably what you will sell it for.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
IMO, the best strategy right now is to NOT to sell, unless you absolutely have to. Avoid jumping on the PANIC selling bandwagon that seems to be so prevalent right now. All of these owners wanting to cash out before prices drop even further are killing prices for all of the other owners.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 AM

35 posts, read 114,203 times
I bought a home in a community right on 390 about a mile from lake wallenpaupack, on a bankrucy and its taken me 3 years to refubish it. Its amazing the lack of good construction people that are in this area. As for jobs, I see none, and i mean none, I had hoped to move out of my 450K NYC condo and find some type of accounting work in scranton or nearby. Nothing, very disappointing. Now im stuck in a housing market with a good summer home nothing more. I had such high hopes for the area with wall street west, gambling, the promise train. That because ive heard about this train being put in for the last 10 years. Guess ill do what everyone else does, rent my place on weekends to NYC tourist who dont want to fly.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewplanman View Post
I bought a home in a community right on 390 about a mile from lake wallenpaupack, on a bankrucy and its taken me 3 years to refubish it. Its amazing the lack of good construction people that are in this area. As for jobs, I see none, and i mean none, I had hoped to move out of my 450K NYC condo and find some type of accounting work in scranton or nearby. Nothing, very disappointing. Now im stuck in a housing market with a good summer home nothing more. I had such high hopes for the area with wall street west, gambling, the promise train. That because ive heard about this train being put in for the last 10 years. Guess ill do what everyone else does, rent my place on weekends to NYC tourist who dont want to fly.
I, too, am an aspiring CPA who has duly noted the dearth of professional opportunity in this region, hence why I may have to power-commute in the future from my Scranton home to Northern New Jersey daily. It's very discouraging that so few local college graduates can stay in our region, and it doesn't bode well for our economic future. It's a Catch-22. We don't have the lucrative career opportunities available here to either retain our college graduates or lure in new ones, and we don't have the educated work force being retained to attract those very same positions to our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania