Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Actually it's been shown that WM can raise all of their employees pays $1 per hour per person simply by charging an extra penny on all of their products. It wouldn't hurt their bottom line either.

Maybe for you and me it's not a career but for many people it is.
If that's true, I'd be all for that. I wouldn't mind one bit paying a penny more if the employees got an extra dollar an hour. And yes, I'm being dead serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I just don't understand how companies like Home Depot or Lowe's, my former employer, can compensate their employees respectably while Wal-Mart, a much larger company with higher profit margins, pays their employees rather insulting hourly wages. When I left Lowe's at age 22 I was earning nearly $11.50/hr. (plus commissions), which isn't bad at all for a college student in NEPA. I loved what I did, and because I was compensated fairly I returned the favor back to my employer by driving more sales in their direction. Money motivates people. Perhaps most Wal-Mart associates wouldn't seem so feckless or disinterested in customer service if they had a decent paycheck rolling in.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I just don't understand how companies like Home Depot or Lowe's, my former employer, can compensate their employees respectably while Wal-Mart, a much larger company with higher profit margins, pays their employees rather insulting hourly wages. When I left Lowe's at age 22 I was earning nearly $11.50/hr. (plus commissions), which isn't bad at all for a college student in NEPA. I loved what I did, and because I was compensated fairly I returned the favor back to my employer by driving more sales in their direction. Money motivates people. Perhaps most Wal-Mart associates wouldn't seem so feckless or disinterested in customer service if they had a decent paycheck rolling in.
To be fair, there is more manual labor and more product and home improvement knowledge involved in most jobs at Lowe's and Home Depot than there is at Wal-Mart. Not that you have to be a rocket scientist, but I would say those jobs are not quite as unskilled as your average job at a discount/grocery store like Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart actually does pay Sam's Club employees more due to the heavier lifting involved at Sam's. And the Wal-Mart distribution centers, there is one in Tobyhanna, pay pretty good for the area. I think they start around 14 bucks an hour for warehouse work. Much better than the TJ Maxx distribution center with starting wages around 7 or 8 bucks an hour (and hiring illegals yet).

Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
To be fair, there is more manual labor and more product and home improvement knowledge involved in most jobs at Lowe's and Home Depot than there is at Wal-Mart. Not that you have to be a rocket scientist, but I would say those jobs are not quite as unskilled as your average job at a discount/grocery store like Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart actually does pay Sam's Club employees more due to the heavier lifting involved at Sam's. And the Wal-Mart distribution centers, there is one in Tobyhanna, pay pretty good for the area. I think they start around 14 bucks an hour for warehouse work. Much better than the TJ Maxx distribution center with starting wages around 7 or 8 bucks an hour (and hiring illegals yet).
Exactly, from what I hear WM treats their employees very well. Whether it be in their stores, in their warehouses or their drivers. I've heard many people say they're happy with their jobs. I can see why Lowe's and Home Depot might pay their employees a little more than WM, like you stated.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Exactly, from what I hear WM treats their employees very well. Whether it be in their stores, in their warehouses or their drivers. I've heard many people say they're happy with their jobs. I can see why Lowe's and Home Depot might pay their employees a little more than WM, like you stated.

How is not paying enough to even survive treating an employee "well"?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 AM

And cashiers at Home Depot and Lowe's do not need any expertise to work there. Yet they still make more than WM cashiers.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
How is not paying enough to even survive treating an employee "well"?
Once again, lets go back a few pages on this thread. Jobs as a cashier, stock person, greeter, or cart pusher are not meant to be career jobs....they're great jobs for students, second incomes, or seniors just looking to get out and do something and make a few bucks in the process. When I was in school, I was glad jobs like that existed. Running a register in a store is a lot better than flipping burgers for minimum wage in a greasy kitchen at McDonald's.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Once again, lets go back a few pages on this thread. Jobs as a cashier, stock person, greeter, or cart pusher are not meant to be career jobs....they're great jobs for students, second incomes, or seniors just looking to get out and do something and make a few bucks in the process. When I was in school, I was glad jobs like that existed. Running a register in a store is a lot better than flipping burgers for minimum wage in a greasy kitchen at McDonald's.
And for the people who simply don't have the aptitude for higher education? Let's face it: there are people for whom WM is as good as it's gonna get.

They should make a livable wage as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
And for the people who simply don't have the aptitude for higher education? Let's face it: there are people for whom WM is as good as it's gonna get.

They should make a livable wage as well.
Its not Wal-Mart's responsibility to support people who don't have the smarts or motivation to do anything better with their lives. Nobody is forced to work there. And actually, if you're a hard-working employee, WM does have a lot of opportunity to move up into management...and those jobs pay well (store managers at WM and general managers at Sam's Clubs make 6-figure salaries, and the assistant managers are paid pretty well too). They offered me the chance to move into their management training program, but I really had had enough of retail at that point, and didn't want to move.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Its not Wal-Mart's responsibility to support people who don't have the smarts or motivation to do anything better with their lives. Nobody is forced to work there. And actually, if you're a hard-working employee, WM does have a lot of opportunity to move up into management...and those jobs pay well (store managers at WM and general managers at Sam's Clubs make 6-figure salaries, and the assistant managers are paid pretty well too). They offered me the chance to move into their management training program, but I really had had enough of retail at that point, and didn't want to move.

People are forced to work jobs in stores or factories when they cannot get anything better - either due to aptitude, the economy, etc.

Many management positions require a college degree.

So your whole post is moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania