Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 21,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While I agree with the trap neuter/spay part of the program; I disagree with the release. My sister fed a feral cat and went outside on one morning to find two dead flying squirrels. Flying squirrels are on our endangered spices list. If we went out and killed one of these small squirrels; it could cost us thousands of dollars in fines and maybe even jail time. Of course my sister was not sure if it was her feral cat - but that would have been a good guess.

There are many song birds that are also struggling to survive.

Cats are an evasive species; which we introduced. By allowing even tame cats to play outside; we are helping to destroy our native wildlife. All cats should be kept inside; or not kept at all. Cat lovers are playing favorites over our native wildlife.
Dear Fisheye,,
Thanks for your feedback on the TNR Program. True that this program is not the most perfect program for all of the problems that we deal with concerning feral cats, however, it's so much better than most of the options that are out there. Also, please remember that cats are natural predators by instinct and I agree that it is sad when they kill a bird, especially one that is on the endangered species list, but they usually do eat what t hey kill and sometimes they do it because they are protecting their territory," and will drop it off at your doorstep (much to your dismay and being totally grossed out, lol!), but this is their way of saying, " thank you," for taking care of them.
Cat's behavior is hard to understand sometimes, but after a while you kind of catch on. It took me 11 years and I'm still learning ! lol !
Thanks.
Jeffrey J. Lepre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Summering I applaud you for caring about feral cats. The very best thing that you can do is use something called a "Have - A - Heart trap, and take them to be spayed and neutered, to prevent the population explosion that will, as you noted, surely ensue.

Let me ask around about who does that in Monroe County. I know there is a mobile van that does it in the Wilkes-Barre area.

I will get back to you!
~ Sheena
Dear Summering anad Sheena,
Kudos to you both for caring so much for feral cats and for wanting more information on how to take care of the problem. There is a van that does go around the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre area and if I'm not mistaken, it is through a veterinary clinic that is run by Dr. Kathio (I think that is the correct spelling of his name).
Also, I do believe that there are programs out there that can assist you with the cost in getting the cat spayed or neutered. Dr. Kathio is one of the areas top veterinarians that specializes in cat care. Let me know if I ccan be of any further assistance, ok?
Thanks.
Jeffrey J. Lepre

Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J. Lepre View Post
Dear Fisheye,,
Thanks for your feedback on the TNR Program. True that this program is not the most perfect program for all of the problems that we deal with concerning feral cats, however, it's so much better than most of the options that are out there. Also, please remember that cats are natural predators by instinct and I agree that it is sad when they kill a bird, especially one that is on the endangered species list, but they usually do eat what t hey kill and sometimes they do it because they are protecting their territory," and will drop it off at your doorstep (much to your dismay and being totally grossed out, lol!), but this is their way of saying, " thank you," for taking care of them.
Cat's behavior is hard to understand sometimes, but after a while you kind of catch on. It took me 11 years and I'm still learning ! lol !
Thanks.
Jeffrey J. Lepre
Jeffery,

The problem is that endangered species are endangered for a reason. Cats are not endangered. By releasing them or continuing to feed them; you are ensuring the extinction of some of our wildlife - you are placing the lives of our feral cats above the lives of our natural wildlife. Maybe I’m wrong - but I wish that our Game Commission would fine people, that feed feral cats or just let their housecats play outside unsupervised, just as much as anybody else that would willingly destroy one of our vanishing endangered species.

I know that you have good intentions and that you love cats. Yes, neutering helps. However; the problem continues. I would just like our children and their children to have the opportunity to enjoy our native wildlife in nature - not in a zoo or stuffed on a taxidermist wall.

Thank you,

fisheye

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Hi Fisheye,
Thanks for your feedback on the extinction of our precious wildlife.I do want to let you know however, that I do subscribe to many wildlife preserrvatories to sign petitions to help in perserving our endangered wildlife and that I couldn't agree with you more.I have written many petitions and letters to our legislative people to let them know about our problems with our endangered wildlife and our constant need to protect them.I just wanted to let you know that I care about all animals and not just cats even though I'm partial cats because I can only handle taking care of them due to my disability and also to help cut down the population of them in our neighborhood.If I don't help cut down the population of them in our area, we have people who ride ATV's that think it's real funny to run down animals, dogs included, on their ATV's, including a 6 week old kitten that I had trying to get from outside and my neighbors kitten and dog as well. So, kindly don't get me wrong, I just wanted to try and do my part for the animals that can't get away from menaces on ATV's and other motorized vehicles.
Thanks.
Jeff Lepre

Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
Is there a free or very low-cost neutering option in the Monroe County area? We rescued two male kittens from the woods at the beginning of winter - I guess they aren't considered feral anymore but I would love to get them neutered on the off chance they decide to run for it with the nicer weather.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Is there a free or very low-cost neutering option in the Monroe County area? We rescued two male kittens from the woods at the beginning of winter - I guess they aren't considered feral anymore but I would love to get them neutered on the off chance they decide to run for it with the nicer weather.
Here is a link to programs that should help you: http://www.epaaonline.com/feral.html

Keep in mind that I personally do not approve of the release portion of the program. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,876 times
Thanks. We don't want to release - we are quite attached to these little monsters. But we live in the woods, they came from the woods, and we've have two escape in past years. (Both were altered).

Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
The Monroe Cty. Animal League will give you a voucher that will help to pay for the cost of the spay or neuter. ( I think it comes to about $20.00 that way.
Then in Brodheadsville there is "Awesome Pet Center" located in the back of the Rainbow Plaza. Wonderful, wonderful people there.
If you do not have a trap they will give you one and then return your deposit. ( I gave them my trap when I left)
You can trap them yourself or there are people who will come and do that for you.
It is easy enough. Put some tuna in the back of the trap. Lead up to it with the light oil from the tuna. It will snap shut once they are in.
It didn't fail to work for me. It doesn't take long. I actually didn't mind doing it myself in my own timeframe.
Call Awesome and be sure of when they are in and not on vacation or away for that day. ( before you trap)

Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks. We don't want to release - we are quite attached to these little monsters. But we live in the woods, they came from the woods, and we've have two escape in past years. (Both were altered).
I would let the people understand that you "will" release. ( change your mind later on)
They want to know that they "are" feral cats and not your "home" cats.
Even though, I know exactly how you feel. They each have a personality of their own and are easy to love.
It won't work to say you have them in the house and feed them.....
Then they consider them no feral. ( but bless your heart)

You will get a little clip off of the left ear showing they were feral.
They also give the rabies shot.
Such a wonderful group of people.

DM me if you need any information. Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a link to programs that should help you: http://www.epaaonline.com/feral.html

Keep in mind that I personally do not approve of the release portion of the program. Good luck.

When you have a whole group of kittens and your trying to keep up with getting the ferals fixed to stop the situation, its a must.
You just can't keep them all fisheye. Even though I believe every cat should have a home and people to love it.
It can be too many cats to own...
Poor little innocent friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania