U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM

26,217 posts, read 45,870,912 times
Default I-81 Safety Corridor?

Can someone explain to me why PennDOT just extended its "safety corridor" along I-81 from The Pittstons down to Nanticoke if the state police never enforce the existing corridor between Avoca and Scranton? What exactly is the point of these "corridors" anyways? 55 miles per hour is a disgustingly outdated speed limit. I and most others travel at around 65, with many blowing by us doing at least 75 miles per hour, if not 80 or more. I'm on I-81 between The Pittstons and either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre daily, and I only see a state police cruiser nabbing speeders once every blue moon. Isn't this just a waste of taxpayer dollars by erecting so many new signs that mean nothing? Couldn't that money have been better spent by...gee...I don't know...PROMOTING INTER-CITY MASS TRANSIT TO ALLEVIATE THE CONGESTION ON 81??!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM

703 posts, read 998,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Isn't this just a waste of taxpayer dollars by erecting so many new signs that mean nothing?
Oh, with the increased fines, they will more than recover the cost of erecting signs.

It actually makes sense to make entire metro area interstates "safety corridors." I don't know if statistics support whether these zones have any deterrent effect on speeding drivers. (Certainly they increase revenue) But if you're going to put them anywhere, it makes sense to put them in congested areas like the whole demolition derby stretch from Wilkes-Barre to Clarks Summit as opposed to anywhere along the barren highway wasteland from Hazleton to Lebanon.

Quote:
Couldn't that money have been better spent by...gee...I don't know...PROMOTING INTER-CITY MASS TRANSIT TO ALLEVIATE THE CONGESTION ON 81??!!!
Well, no one's really losing money at all since safety corridors increase revenue. But instead of building new highways or widening existing ones, why don't they use the money earned from the safety corridors to do just what you suggest?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,251,217 times
The one near stroudsburg actually made traffic MORE dangerous. Everyone crawling along at 50 mph snarled traffic flow, people wouldn't let you out, and they actually drove more aggressively.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM

2,938 posts, read 955,610 times
Quote:
Can someone explain to me why PennDOT just extended its "safety corridor" along I-81 from The Pittstons down to Nanticoke if the state police never enforce the existing corridor between Avoca and Scranton? What exactly is the point of these "corridors" anyways? 55 miles per hour is a disgustingly outdated speed limit. I and most others travel at around 65, with many blowing by us doing at least 75 miles per hour, if not 80 or more. I'm on I-81 between The Pittstons and either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre daily, and I only see a state police cruiser nabbing speeders once every blue moon. Isn't this just a waste of taxpayer dollars by erecting so many new signs that mean nothing? Couldn't that money have been better spent by...gee...I don't know...PROMOTING INTER-CITY MASS TRANSIT TO ALLEVIATE THE CONGESTION ON 81??!!!
The "safety corridor" signs are a joke anyways, because its never enforced. You're more likely to see the Loch Ness Monster on 81 than you are a state trooper.

Anyways, I don't think they should raise the speed limit. 81 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre is hazardous enough at rush hour, and even though people drive 65+ anyways, if they raised the limit to 65, people would drive even faster than they already do.

I'd be OK with a 65 mph limit on 81 if they were actually going to enforce it.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,309,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
The "safety corridor" signs are a joke anyways, because its never enforced. You're more likely to see the Loch Ness Monster on 81 than you are a state trooper.

Anyways, I don't think they should raise the speed limit. 81 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre is hazardous enough at rush hour, and even though people drive 65+ anyways, if they raised the limit to 65, people would drive even faster than they already do.

I'd be OK with a 65 mph limit on 81 if they were actually going to enforce it.

I disagree with the sentiment that people will drive faster than the posted speed limit no matter what the limit. Here there are a lot of roads with speed limits of 75 MPH. Most people will adhere to the speed limit if they feel the limit is reasonable for the section of road. If there is no posted speed limit (not saying there isn't a limit, just no signs) people will usually travel at a decent speed. for example a road I drive on has a 25 mph limit, and its really low for the road. Most people will travel at about 35 or 40 until they find that first 25 mph sign....

If there is a higher limit enforcement could always go on like texas, where i got pulled over for 74 in a 70 on my way to NEPA

I think scranton to pittston is about right at 55 though, some of those entrance ramps are short. If the interstate traffic is traveling faster I think more people would stop on the ramps making a much more dangerous situation than any speeding.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM

22,192 posts, read 16,263,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
The one near stroudsburg actually made traffic MORE dangerous. Everyone crawling along at 50 mph snarled traffic flow, people wouldn't let you out, and they actually drove more aggressively.
Same thing happened in Montana when they started enforcing a speed limit, Intestate fatalities doubled.

See the table on the bottom of this page: Montana - No Speed Limit Safety Paradox - 2001 UPDATE

It's not high speed limits that cause fatal car crashes, it's idiot drivers. Same thing on the autobahn in Germany. It has one of the lowest fatality rates in Europe yet it has an unlimited speed limit in some areas. The difference is that minimum speed limits and other laws like no passing on the right and you better be passing if you're in the passing are heavily enforced.

Granted if you're in a really high speed wreck your chances of being killed are more but there's less crashes.

Having said that 60 -65 should probably be the limit in highly congested areas.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,458,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not high speed limits that cause fatal car crashes, it's idiot drivers.
YES!

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of them these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania